Value Village

Canada177 reviews

Found 177 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,030 reviews
donationhalloweenquotaitemstoresaverproductionclothing

It was an okay job

Very under trained management, no discipline for staff that were regular call ins or not doing things correctly or fully. Barely gave praise to hard working staff on stressful days. Sub management per area did not seem to be trained and let the “power” they had go to their heads. Very unimpressed as I’ve always wanted to work in one of these stores.

Pros

Meeting the other employees

Cons

Bad management, no discipline

Dead end job

Poor management, no communication between supervisors. Management will push even the hardest workers to their limits. The harder you work, the more tasks you will be given in comparison to a slower worker. No compensation to make up for working harder or more efficiently than other workers. No sales bonus anymore, so no incentive to keep being pushed by management to reach higher and higher quotas. All managers will talk down to you and treat you like a child if you voice a concern or complaint. Do yourself a favor if you are working there, don't take the job seriously AT ALL. Leave and move on to something better ASAP because team members deserve to actually feel like they are part of a TEAM, not a dictatorship.

Pros

Same hours everyday for full time members

Cons

Management, low pay, poor and overpriced benefits, being overworked, high stress level

Insights into Value Village

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Dangerous work

Lots of heavy lifting. If you’re going to work here, don’t do it long term. There’s really nothing to gain from working here. I got a concussion and got told I had to work the next day. Lol.

Pros

decent team environment

Cons

zero lenience

Management is a mess

Loved the people I got to work with, created some lasting friendships but management needs to change. Not paid fairly for the amount of work/jobs you’re doing, management blames the employees for everything that goes wrong when they have a system that makes no sense, expects employees to go above and beyond just to be yelled at and degraded (by your managers) when trying your best. They preach one thing and then do the complete opposite but since they’re management they’re allowed to. They are not open to changing anything so even if you come to them with concerns they will basically say “yeah yeah but we can’t do anything about that.” Managers will stand around and criticize your every move but won’t do anything to help out when you truly need it.

Pros

Getting to go home at the end of the day

Cons

Terrible management

Value Village is alright

Value village is okay, it’s fun to work with the clothing and put it on the floor, rolling can be strenuous especially when you’re the only one doing it all day.

Terrible place afford at all costs. Run away as fast as your legs will carry you

Beware. Worst place to work ever. Omg there in and out rate is horrible. Run run run run run run run run run away so fast you can't see anything around you.

Pros

Cons

Run away fast

labour intensive

With staff not showing up it makes the job harder for the ones that do show up. Even though the daily targets are lowered if you do more than one job, still feel pressure to out preform. Did not get a raise for my 1 year anniversary due to the restructuring of the grade/pay levels and covid. But now, my grade wage is just minimum. I am a grade 3 which should be making more than the average person walking in off the street. Very dissapointed. My job is very labour intensive and now I am doing 2 jobs as no one wants to work.

benefits

Cons

compared to other production jobs, very underpaid

Dirty work low pay

Work was dirty and pay was low. It was backbreaking. People think they are donating to a charity but it is a for profit business. They throw out good merchandise that doesnt sell because it is priced too high.

Worst place to work

I’ve never worked at such a hostile poorly managed work place until i started working with this company. You’re over worked and under paid they’ll have you do multiple jobs and pay you for one. They don’t appreciate their hard working employees. They have you like a ping pong ball never a steady position because they just want to use you. I would think twice before applying here. People are always walking out of that place it’s like revolving doors. Lastly there’s no growth within the company. No to mention the managers speak poorly of past employees.

Pros

The hours no weekends

Cons

Everything around it

Always looked forward to going to work

When I started at savers , the employees made it easy to fit in . No judgement just comfort . Then with the various ages I got to give and receive alot of useful advice . The customers were pretty easy to assist and it was nice that they look forward to seeing me when they shop .

Very fun place to work , very family oriented

The people here are very inviting and very outgoing, the managers are very good to you !They get together every morning and we all talk about anything that’s bugging you , tell you all the goals for the week and where we need to improve on !! There just very encouraging people to work for ! Just all around good business!!

Pros

Great benifit package

Cons

There aren’t any

Production room is factory setting - hard work for little pay

Full-time workers don't get paid enough but benefits and profit-sharing is pretty good. Workers are good people. Favouritism exists. Problems are swept under the rug.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Pay does not reflect hard work.

Exhausting workload, but coworkers who become the highlight of your shift, not so good management

I would not suggest working here after no longer working here. Rated a three because the only real good thing about working here is the discount and the coworkers.The pay is just above minimum wage, but the workload and stress of constantly having to reach numbers is not worth it.Your constantly on your feet, barely moving from your spot in the back tell your next break which by then you physically want to sit down just to relax. Very overworking for little praise or acknowledgment from anyone. Coworkers are kind and welcoming for the most part. Becomes the highlight of your shift.You form good bonds with them.Management isn’t super understanding with you wanting or needing your schedule changed.Pay isn’t so good for the work you do. paid a salary not hourly as a higher up position so doesn’t have a huge difference in what you make compared to a new hire or someone working for a few yearsYou have to show up a minimum of five minutes early to shift otherwise the coworkers who let you in will have gone to the back and you’ll be late coming into work,Constantly understaffed so you have to work double speed to accommodate for the lack of workers.

Pros

Really nice coworkers, Supervisors who joke along with you, Discount of 50% off, Always offers overtime hours before and after work and weekends, Weekly meetings typically held, Clock in and out system so paid for any overtime done, Paid training, Get additional pay if your friend is hired and stays with company for 30 days

Cons

Barely any significant raises, Management isn’t the most accommodating, Not understanding of shift change or availability upon hiring, Strenuous, Always on feet, Coworkers can be cliquey, Dirty lunch room, Stuck doing the same thing every day

It’s alright

Long periods of standing, repetitive, but you have fun co-workers to keep you occupied. Really physically demanding and sometimes the managers over work the staff

Pros

Full time benefits fun co workers

Cons

Over worked, favouritism

Don't do it

Was in production for almost 8 years, trained in almost every department, made barely above minimum wage. Current store manager is awesome, considering how awfully the whole company is run. Supervisors don't lead by example, but like to intimidate staff into doing things. More often than not, supervisors stand around, just watching employees doing their jobs. Very frustrating getting answers to questions or help when needed. Zero chances of advancement unless you're one of the favourites - even with experience & abilities, there's just no point trying to move up. A lot of dirty work, no gratitude, very low pay for the skills needed. Discounts are ok, not great, especially with having to wait 48 hrs before purchasing anything. Very hypocritical with their recycling mantras - so much wasted paper & other products that can be easily recycled locally. Little to no encouragement to do better - just show up & do your job, don't try to do anything above the bare minimum. They'll take complete advantage of anyone who has any drive & destroy them.

Pros

Discount - kinda

Cons

Pay, no encouragment, no gratitude

Not worth it

Very stressful work, must make quotas everything is timed. Repetitive, same work day after day, hard on your body. Management seems to have favourites and don’t really treat you well. I would not recommend.

Pros

Discount is 50% off

Cons

You have to wait 48 hours until you are allowed to buy something

Fun Coworkers and supervisors, terrible management

My coworkers are all very friendly and inviting, the management on the other hand is very poorly run. It’s all about the money I found and they do not seem to care for you or your life outside of work. I was hired as part time and was forced to work full time even when I asked to go back to part time.

Pros

Nice Coworkers

Cons

Bad management

I do not want to continue here. I am currently looking for another job!

I would NOT recommend working here!!!!!Management is bad.They pit employees against one another.You are not listened to.There is favortism galore!!!!!

Productive and relaxed environment with endless opportunities

Working here was nothing but a fun experience, sorting through all the donations was a very interesting part of the job, getting to see one of a kind antique products and things from before my time was always one of the best parts.

physically demanding, everyday is stressful

Pay is awful, been with them 7 years and only making $0.75 above minimum wage. There's multiple sick calls on a regular basis from people that are overworked. Team is constantly stressed about meeting quotas. Management is AWFUL at communicating between themselves and team members. There's constant hiring/training going on due to high turnovers. You'll get cross trained in a department last minute and managment won't bother checking in with how you're doing cause they're busy covering a team member position themselves. There's small injuries in the workplace regularly, things falling off carts. Most mornings your work station will have things dumped in it from the evening crew. If you work on the sales floor the store gets trashed by customers. People steal things all the time and there is no loss prevention in place other than "go customer service them." Some customers are incredibly rude to the entire staff and no efforts are made by higher management to have those customers removed/banned.The only good thing there is your co-workers. They understand the same work stress as you so you can joke around about that. This is a very physically and mentally demanding job. It will break you down eventually.

Pros

staff discount 50%, co-workers are great

Cons

disorganized management, poor pay, no work/life balance, rude customers

bad place to work was there for a year and got fired for personal reasons

very bad place to work Unless you like to be put under expectations which are impossible because management only cares about quotes which they can’t receive worst

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement