Value Village
Savers/Value Village
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

Value Village Employee Reviews for Operations Associate

The managers are very nice and I love my coworkers (easily the best part of working here). The work is easy enough but never-ending and very repetitive on the sales floor. The corporation itself doesn't trust the employees to make decisions so at a cash you will have to call managers to sign off on most decisions (exchanges, price checks, etc.) Unfortunately, the managers don't always take into account that a lot of the employees are still in school so younger employees can feel very over-whelmed with school/work balance. But I would say it is a good entry-level job and chill.
Pros
50% discount on most of the store, great people
Cons
Repetitive, don't take outside-of-work lives of employees
High turnover of staff due to working conditions. Poor management. Half the floor staff works hard, half doesn't work at all. You are expected to move thousands of items per week. This is an extremely demanding job physically. Staff is generally frustrated and burnt out. You will be subjected to abusive patrons who come in frequently to steal as much as they can and you are not able to address this appropriately due to store rules.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
You will need the medical benefits to have regular visits for pain caused by overexertion.
Depending on the position it can be very taxing on the body. Super fun staff though, great managers but the wages are not competitive. Full time is hard to come by, though you will work full time hours a lot.
Working for Savers/Value Village has been a huge learning experience. Some retail jobs are just harder than others, and while not physically demanding, working the front is mentally and emotionally draining. Customers are usually rude and uncooperative and the management can never agree. Overall, bad work experience.
good people to work with, salaries are not high not even in management. the work culture is fun and employees tend to be close. hardest part of the job is the customers
The work started out okay, but I soon started to feel target by the management. I would do something that was in my task, and when I would take a small breather, I would get berated by a supervisor or manager who would just think that I wasn't doing anything for a while.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Only high hours during the busy holiday seasons
Over all great environment to work in, co-workers are amazing. Everyone is super helpful with new hires and ensuring that they know what to do and when to do it. Management leaves much to be desired. Distinct lack of communication between management and between management and employees. Hardest part of the job is lack of security, scheduled hours fluctuate with little or no notice and scheduled hours are not guaranteed. Front end is strictly part time, and you are frequently (daily) sent home early.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Constantly sent home early
Store manager demands unrealistic quotas and blames staff rather than take responsibility for lack of training or encouragement. You’re expected to perform like a robot and have no opinion, just do as you’re told. Favourtism between management and staff, some even had personal/romantic relationship which affected working atmosphere and nothing was done about it. Charity work is pushed to the public but is very misleading. Very little helps local community. Hired being told it was an 8am-4pm position which quickly changed into “we’re not busy enough, we don’t have the hours, etc”. One or two Supervisors were very helpful and worked hard alongside you but they eventually left because they weren’t treated very well either. Overall, disappointing and discouraging experience. Would definitely not recommend New Minas location.
Pros
Co-workers, used to be a couple good supervisors, employee discount
Cons
Everything else
Company was good for some, but the safety issues and lack of training were extremely problematic. I enjoyed the idea of working for charity, but saw that there was many things that were wasteful. We were supposed to tell people we 'recycle' everything, when some really good products were actually discarded.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
broken equipment
the establishment had very caring staff and great opportunities for advancement within the company. They always ensured you had a great shift with them!
Pros
great schedule
It was terrible i ended up with a strain injury that ended up evolving into tendinitis due to imp[roper rotation at work and management not doing the job they were suppposed to and now i have to pay out of my own pocket my physio in order to get it back to bnormal which is 6-8 weeks :-) thanks value village a joy
Pros
free pizza
Cons
hazardous to your health in many ways
Its okay. The people are nice, unfortunately you have to deal with people being upset over prices and angry old people on seniors day. The job is easy and at times can be fun,
If you enjoy retail and customer service, then Value Village is the place to be. Its fun and exciting to see items coming in as well. Thrifters are fun people.
Pros
discount
Cons
neighborhood
The management is absolutely amazing always there and ready to help with whatever you need they are very understanding and nice people. Co-workers are also an amazing, open-hearted group of people. Definitely an amazing company to grow for as well as part-time employment.
I found myself doing the same thing every day. I really like that in a job and the management was great. I had no issue making friends and talking to customers.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
I was only seasonal
management and my team made this job as good as it was. Frequent team-building allowed one to know their co-workers and help teach us to work together.
Lots of promises no follow-through. No recognition for long-time employees. Favoritism. Act like they care but don't even listen. Rules change daily .
Pros
Good discounts
A typical day at work would have been helping customers, hanging clothes, having friendly conversations, and ringing people up on the cash register. While working at Value Village I learned how to properly use cash registers, how to work well with my fellow team members to get a job finished to the best of its abilities. Every employee in the establishment had a very kind and positive outlook on the store, there were never any issues.The hardest part of the job, however, would have to be dealing with shoplifters and a few choice angry customers. My favorite part about the job I had was that I could work with people and converse with them. I truly enjoy getting along with my fellow team members and customers.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Not enough hours
Was a relaxing work environment. Staff was great to work with. I had very flexible hours Cons- Working evening I was shorted hours to 11 hours a week due too students working and not having enough hours to give me.
Was a great opportunity for getting to know my community. I was involved with the Community Donations Center and was cross trained to work in operations. They are very flexible and a great team to work with.
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
Managment Shifts and schedules where inconsitant. ex 11hrs a week. then 20hrs the next.
Not a bad place to work, got to drive a Uhaul van sometimes as much as twice a week. Felt respected. Felt like I should have been given more opportunities to advance.
Pros
Got to drive uhaul, good health benefits, heavy lifting, organization
Cons
Shifts were sporadic, lack of professionalism in management