Value Village logo

Value Village Employee Reviews for Front End Manager

Work-life balance

Found 47 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,714 reviews

Okay i suppose

when you’re a manger you’re given a load of tasks to complete but given no time to actually do them. When you don’t compete the tasks you get in trouble from higher ups. The theft is terrible and the high ups won’t let you do anything or do anything about it themselves which is incredibly frustrating

Fun place to work

Everyone was so friendly and we all looked out for each other. The manager was easy to work for also. Also there is lots of room for advancement within the company

Too much for way too little

They work you to the bone and for little pay. If you work the donation drive through, get ready to sweat and be expected to keep it clean and tidy with little to no help. Working the tables in the back is hard and kinda gross. You sort through random bags and they time you to sort as fast as possible. The managers don't help, they walk behind you and tell you too go faster cause all they want is sales. And they price donated items way to high.

Pros

Health benefits

Cons

Pay

Great opportunities to advance, but way underpaid.

I was at Value Village long enough to earn a promotion. The job itself is fine customer service and clean up after customers. The supervisors are not paid nearly enough (a couple dollars over minimum wage) to manage the front end staff AND deal with the clientele that value village attracts. All Value Village management are told they are not allowed to hand out references for ex employees, so steer clear if you're looking for a good reference. There's a sense of competition and resentment between front end staff and production staff that is not mitigated by the store managers at all. In the end, Value village is a great place to start out a career in management as they often promote from within.

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement

Cons

Stressful customers, management cant give references

Overall its not a long term job Halloween is fun

Management expects things then you get in trouble for doing as they ask . They ask to much and don't help you to get time to do the projects she'd of you. Give you promises they don't keep and say you doing great then something in life happens as you loose a father and a husband same year and no compassion and not aloud to forget things and trying really hard still everyday and working crazy hours at Halloween and getting let down by little respect and pay and never good enough and this is put on to all Management..fire people and don't give them a fair chance and expect alot more than anywhere else for not great pay and never good enough ..

Pros

Good benefits and training programs

Cons

Large work load for not much more pay for management and no pay for the stress ..

No work/life balance for Supervisors

Supervisors are not treated as part of management, mostly night and weekends offering no balance for those with families. Good training program but very little room for advancement

Pros

Great Team Members

Cons

Low Pay with minimal increases that do not keep up with cost of living

Does not pay enough for job responsibilities

I was often expected to work beyond shift time, working a total of 50+ hours a week, only 40 of which I received compensation. For the amount of remuneration and support I was offered, I don't think it was worth the work or stress of the job. Management is also condescending, sarcastic and unsupportive of work-life balance and mental health. Many people tried to report upper management for how they conducted themselves, but due to most interactions being in person with no physical evidence, the complaints were dismissed.

Awesome place to work.

I had such a learning experience. Manager at Penticton Value Village is so fair and works right with the staff. Learned a lot about how Value Village gives back to communities.

Pros

Learning how the donations work.

Cons

LP rules

The Bootcamp of Retail

Working at Value Village has its ups and downs, as do any retail store. At times it can be relaxing while others can be a hectic mess, especially on sale days, where half of the store is on the floor and you need to pick it up. I call this the bootcamp of retail because these kind of days really train your patience. It teaches you how to survive in a fast paced environment and to take things lightly despite the overwhelming frenzy it could present itself in. Of course, the people you work with will play a huge role in your work satisfaction. In my experience, people were very friendly and helpful. The key to success here is good team work and patience.

Loved what the company stood for, wasn’t paid enough for the work load

I worked there for 4-5 years. For the first 2 or so years I absolutely loved it there. But we were always understaffed, our work loads were huge because of this, we received very little praise from management, certain people would do nothing and no one would get them in trouble, whereas the hard working team members would talk to another co worker for 2 minutes during down time and get in trouble. You can move up in the company very easily if you work there long enough, but management is underpaid and over worked as well. Overall just a toxic place to be for a long period of time.

Jobs at Value Village

Front End Manager positions
See more jobs

Refuse

Will not review. Confidentiality. Prefer not to disclose good or bad times. I just wanted to update my resume, not praise or bash current or prior workplaces.

Its a nice place to work.

It's a multicultural working environment. All staff very friendly and helpful. I always enjoy work and provide excellent customer service. Less stress working environment.

Grande prairie

Management is the biggest downfall of this company. The current store manager has no business running a store . The other female managers are arrogant and clickly. Don’t bother applying.

great place to work

enjoyed my time at value village. was disappointed when they let me go due to missing another staff members cash drop in a secured and locked box during a closing shift

Poor Workplace Culture

Value Village provided a poor workplace culture during the time I worked there. Seniority was favored over hard work and dedication. Gossiping between management members was highly toxic, and the management between FOH and BOH did not coexist, but butted heads at every point possible.

Productive and good customer connection

Atypical day involved receiving merchandize and entering them in inventory system. Making sure that clients receive exceptional Customer service from the time they enter the store to the time they leave. Maximizing and keeping truck of sales per hour to avoid high costs of labour. Enjoyed connecting with customers both new and old ones.

Pros

Associate discounts

Cons

Does good for the community however ....

Pros. Staff were for the most part nice and pleasant to work with. The company itself does a lot of good for communities and I like there values Cons. Lack of training is always an issue High turn over in staff Not being heard when you have a concern Lack of communication Management doesn’t work as a team Promised things that are not delivered

Supervisor

I was a nice experience working with the best of people at savers. The growth chances were limited but the work environment was nice. Direct managers were a bit snobbish and careless

Management needs more training

I had a concern that I bought up with one of the managers and I was meet with a hostile response that made the work place very uncomfortable afterwards

Job is what you make of it, not a typical retail experience

Team members are often cross-trained in several areas both in front of store operations and back of store production. Product is always changing, never know what you will get. Days can be unpredictable, sometimes very busy, sometimes very slow. There is always something to do, however. Great team of people to work with. Many are very passionate about their job. Very welcoming to new people. Job can be what you make of it. If you are willing to put in the work and have the passion for the company's mission and values, you can progress through the ranks as far as you would like to go.

Pros

great team, quarterly plus halloween bonus, room to grow

Good place, wears on you though

Great place to work, like an island of misfit toys, value village frequently hires the odd and different people and molds them into productive team members. Turnover is reasonably high in management, as what is asked of them and compensation to do so really don't line up.

Pros

discount

2.9Job security/advancement