Value Village logo

Value Village Employee Reviews for Front End Associate

Work-life balance

Found 12 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,714 reviews

fast passed

working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.

Minimum wage isn't worth the mistreatment you'll suffer

I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground. If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production. Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open. Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather -

Pros

fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with

Cons

hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person

Need to full fill fulltime staff before hiring mire people

I was never informed about hours getting a huge cut back till a few months prior. They hire way too many people and don't give full time staff their hours.

Pros

East going staff

Cons

Low pay high expectations for the work i find lots of favouritism in the work place

Good Team, Poor communication

I have worked both as a production team member and a operation team member. The production team works full time hours to accept around 7,000 pounds of donations per day (varies by location), evaluates each item by quality and condition, and merchandise it on the sales floor. This work is strenuous and the environment is very dusty. I do not recommend this job for people with preexisting injuries or breathing issue. Meanwhile, the Operations team focuses on maintaining store front cleanliness, operating cash registers, attending to fitting rooms, and overall customer service. The team members, regardless of whether you work in the front or the back, are the best kind of people; they are a fun, caring, hardworking group with which you will form life lasting bonds with. even on the difficult days, having this team of people by your side makes it bearable. However, there is very poor communication between managers and the team, and even between themselves. This has lead to improper training of new employees, customers missing out on promotional deals, safety concerns, and scheduling errors.

It was a great experience!

I really enjoyed the staff, especially some of the supervisors. It can be a little hectic at times but it is also a really great place to make new friends and learn new things.

Good

Challenging and always learning new things. Lots of growth opportunity. Fun days. Eco friendly. Busy days. Cross training. Learn lots of new skills. Great community connections.

fun place

the managers and staff made this place a fun and safe place to work at. we had several fun things throughout my time here halloween was the best time of the year.

WORST place to be a cashier.

You're better off seeking employment as a cashier at a grocery store where they pay the same but you wont have to cope with the constant stress of rude,( sometimes aggressive- in your face yelling at you) entitled customers who complain and try to bargain with the prices.Management should take this into consideration since the turnover rate for front end employees is very high yet they pay the minimum. For a company that receives a large portion of their merchandise for free from on site donations, they certainly could afford to pay their employees a decent portion over minimum wage yet they do not. Clearly they don't value their employees. I would not recommend applying here especially if you are just starting out in the work force. Working in the back for production is hardly any better. You stand all day doing the same thing trying to meet a ridiculous quota while the management tells you to go faster. It feels like a being a robot or working in a first world legalized sweatshop,no AC in a hazardous work environment -being exposed to mold, dust and other unknown potentially harmful toxins. The only thing that made it durable are the wonderful co workers which was just luck.

Pros

friendly staff and supervisors

Cons

minimum pay for hard work

Always busy good social committee

Fast paced More about Value Village about their recycle process 1 manager 5 supervisors Overall good but couldn't please one I went back to work too soon had an injury which wasn't healed yet but felt I still kept up with the pace The customers

Pros

Always having something going on for the staff. Draws, potlucks, BBQs etc

Cons

where watched constantly on cameras

Decent place

Management wasn't great, and they didn't work well with my availability. Knew I was in school full time, hired as part time and had me working 6+ hours every day that I was done school at 3 and had 8 hours on days I had off of school.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Value Village?

Great team, pretty easy work, your typical retail experience

I work in operations, the team that manages the front of the store. It's your typical retail job; working the cash, cleaning up after customers, hanging clothes, etc. You get the occasional grumpy, messy customers who push your buttons but that's any retail job. Value Village is no different. It's pretty easy work. Pay is good, starts at minimum and every year depending on how you do you get a bonus (a fairly good one if you've been a good employee.) Full time (32 hours a week or more) get benefits which is nice. Upward movement is an option if you're a solid employee.The location I work at have pretty good management. Not many complaints. My only issue is with the consistency of the rules and pricing. A lot of the times managers will break 90% of the rules to please customers resulting in a lot of that "if you scream loud enough at the cashier you get what you want" mentality from the return customers. You say no (because it's your job to) and then they scream and the manager says yes to appease them. Be prepared for constant price haggling and price checks. All in all, good place to work.

Pros

Good management, room for promotion, easy work

Cons

Typical retail experience of dealing with bad customers, take the brunt of customer anger

This is a great company to work for

I have met some employers that do not care about their workers and this company does. They provide a healthy environment and a great open door policy. They strive for the best for the customers and treat their employees needs to the best of their abilities.

Pros

full time work, clean work enviroment, flexiable hours, great team work

2.9Job security/advancement