Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews for Customer Service Associate / Cashier

All of my coworkers were a wonderful group of ladies! Everyone becomes really close friends and we all treat each other like a family, managers included. If you requested time off you would more than likely get it unless it was Halloween as the last 2 weeks of October are blacked out and you can not request time off during that time. December-March are incredibly slow and you will get sent home early quite a bit. We were understaffed a lot of times too to the point where you might work a 10 hour day or be asked to stay later because of frequent call ins. The only problems I had were I would get a write up if I didn’t get a certain amount of membership sign ups in a week which would be hard to do considering a lot of people are already members so it doesn’t count, and others don’t want to give out their email so it also doesn’t count. I could ask every customer I spoke with to give me their phone numbers but if they didn’t want to attach an email I would not be able to reach my goal of 3% sign ups per transaction. It was a very competitive place as we are a smaller store competing against the other VV’s in the Ottawa area. Operations would always get the short end of the stick and I didn’t feel we were as appreciated as Production was. I worked there for almost 3 years and made the best of friends, but the toxicity of the place as well as being put in the CDC area for a whole season despite not having any training and me saying countless times that I would much rather not, I decided to leave.
Pros
Free Lunches on Sale Days, 50% off discount on clothes, friendly coworkers
Cons
Work a lot of open to close shifts, slower days in the winter months, senior days are always extremely busy
My coworkers were the best, and the benefits were great! Unfortunately, as a cashier I had to perform tasks such as working in the community donation center because they were heavily understaffed for months, as well as working in production for my last few weeks. They claimed I (and other fellow cashiers) had to work in production because cashiers asking for more hours during spring break, so we were sent to work in production. What didn't make sense is that then they purposely understaffed cashiers - making it constantly busy at the tills - to increase productivity, leaving the store a mess the entire day while cashiers who could help had to stay in production...
Pros
Friendly coworkers and great benefits, helping the environment
Cons
Management makes bad decisions, unfair work
It's an awful place to work, co workers are fun some of them but the managers need to learn to control emotions while at work and not take it out on employees. Very confusing place to work because no one seems to know what's actually going on.
Pros
50% off but thats the only pro
Cons
Really bad to employees.
I really did not enjoy working here. it was very stressful and none of the managers seem to be on the same page about anything. the building is very dirty.
Pros
Free lunch if you're employee of the week
Cons
long hours. they will keep you way past closing
Typical start to a shift would be speaking with the manager on duty and keep up too date with any specials going on as to let the costumer know. When not on main till, the sales floor would need general recovery; along with assisting in the fitting room and rolling racks and putting clothing back in it's respectful place for the next customer. No matter what the duty was there is always something to do, doing washroom checks, both men/woman and the employee bathrooms.
Pros
Appreciation lunches, company parties i.e Christmas
Cons
Not enough Halloween coordinator's during the season
Manager was great but they’re was definitely favourite and seniority between certain supervisors and staff members. Always cut shifts early so even if you are full time you aren’t making full time hours. Good discount. A lot of back talking between staff members and a lot of drama.
For how little you get paid the expectations are ridiculous. Management treated staff poorly and didn't really care about work/life balance like they claim.
I worked at this place for about 2 years. It was a very good experience. Very helpful managers. Good second hand store especially for low income people.
Value Village is a fun place to work where along with the salary we get employee benefits too. The employees get a 50% discount on most of the items while 30% off on some expensive products.
Fun and goos to be , all my co workers were pretty cool and good to talk my managers were pretty understanding and fun to be, I had a good time working there
Then we got new managers. Who had no retail experience (they both admitted it--one was an office manager, and one was a grocery manager-vastly different from product retail). The following occured: -gossiping not discouraged by management -health and safety standards are NEVER adhered to -MULTIPLE INJURIES with MULTIPLE STAFF -either scheduled so you don't have time to do anything else OR not scheduled more than once a week -call in shifts -customers being rude, falsely reporting staff to supervisors who write staff up even if witnesses (customers) come forward to explain the complainant is lying -not adhering to doctor's orders for injured or ill staff -
Pros
Discounts, Halloween
Cons
To many, read the review
Each day was very stressful. I am not going to butter this up. You deal with the type of people who complain to you about prices as if you make them. You deal with drunk people. People who don't have any respect for the store or products. You deal with people who tell you how to do your job as if they know. You deal with disgusting bathrooms. I was not a fan of anything Value Village customers have to do with the experience.
Pros
two fifteen minute breaks and one unpaid half an hour break
Cons
rude customers, have to deal with breakable housewares
Very good experience, good environment with the crew members on the sale floor, working with different cultural team, the environment at work very diverse.
Its busy when they have the big sales. The back you sort threw bags of clothing off of giant 7 foot carts stacked with bags. Sometimes up to 1,200 pounds and you have a time limit depending on the weight , For instance i did a 1,200 pound cart and got 27 minutes to rip the bags open and sort the clothing and the shoes ,, house wears, jewelry ect. Very fast paced. Shirts need to be hung in 6 seconds everything is on a time. Even the racks they bring out have to have 100 items and you get 15 minutes to sort it and bring it to each section . you sign in your time and the time youre done.
Pros
helping people
Cons
Sometimes donations have quesetionable items
Hired as a part time worker but too often scheduled for full time hours without permission. I am not working full time hours consistently, I do not receive benefits. This employer has absolutely zero respect for days off booked even in advanced and releases finalized schedules as soon as 1 week in advance.
Working in the back was a nightmare. Managers were rude when stressed. Everything was rushed, managers don’t care about anything else than meeting their numbers for the day. Loud noises consistently and no matter what shoes you wore, your feet were gonna hurt regardless and you’d have a headache by the end of the day.
Cons
Long hours, understaffed, poor management, rude managers, unfair pay
the customers always came in with a smile on their face and left with a smile on their face.Customers were very understanding when it was my first day and i didn't understand the programs used to scan the items.
A typical day at value village means opening or closing the shop, being a cashier, cleaning up the change rooms and items on the floor and even accepting donations.
A typical day involves helping customers at cash and clearing any obstructions or fallen sales items off the floor. I learned how to interact with customers, how to properly handle cash or credit card purchases, and patience for others. Management itself is alright, they're usually trying their best to help you but more often than not are too busy dealing with customers to have time to assist you. The workplace culture is actually quite nice, the other employees are quite nice and everyone relates pretty well with each other since we all work together in similar positions. The hardest part of the job is keeping your calm while you deal with the occasional difficult customer or the shoplifters that come in all the time due to the area the location is at, since they'll often mouth off at you. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I had worked with and meeting all sorts of people at the till.
Pros
Flexible hours, kind coworkers, fairly lax dress uniform
Cons
Schedule errors occur often, safety is a concern due to the area
Cleaning and restocking racks and shelves. Looking for dead stock and assisting customers. Taking phone calls and putting them through to the right team members.
Pros
Team fund for for lunches and or events.
Cons
Not enough hours, Too many on-call shifts
An enjoyable workplace. Not to organized with their times, focused on their sales, loyal members of the team that dedicate their time to helping work members understand the fundamentals of their organization.
Pros
lenient staff
Cons
un organized
  1. Customer Service Associate / Cashier