Value Village

Canada142 reviews

Found 142 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,030 reviews
donationhalloweenquotaitemstoresaverproductionclothing

Fun and supportive workplace

good first job. The community was very friendly and nice. As a highschool student, it is the perfect place to work at. The workload isn't too stressful and its easy to balance work and social lfie

toxic work environment, poor managment, good discount

extremely toxic work environment that management does nothing about. the turn over rate at this place is the biggest I've ever seen. it's really sad because during my time there, they lost some of their best employees all because they weren't treated fairly or they were being bullied by management. it's a fun job but the bad far outweighs the good. just don't waste your time.

Insights into Value Village

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

decent job

Regardless of who's in charge it seems, management just don't care about their employees. But the employees are Always -and I've worked there many years- the best groups of people, and the diversity is wonderful. Discounts are sweet as well. Otherwise it's just another retail job.

Overall work experience

Overall a horrible work place, managers are extremely disrespectful and unfair. They clearly pick favourites and give unfair work loads and a terrible pay. Fired for having covid. Never got the days off that I requested and never listened to. Disregard and disrespected on multiple occasions

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Long hours and no over time, unfair wages, rude managers

Sales Associate

This position is overall not horrendous but there are however many things to keep in mind while applying. There are multiple issues with scheduling and your boundaries around your availability. They are NOT a team working environment, especially within their management. They are severely understaffed which exacerbates the issue, especially with the turn over rate. If you’re going to work here just be mindful.

Fun place

Fun to work at great people work with. A lot of room for advancement.Great benefits and pension plan tuition reimbursement and lots of other incentives.

positive work environment in low stress job position.

Fun place to work. My coworkers are amazing. Every day is something different which keeps things interesting. Its always fun seeing the variety of donations we get daily. The only remotely negative thing I have heard anyone say about working here is that they want more hours. I know I personally cannot pay my bills on this alone.

Bad place

Not a good place to work. Would never work there again bad supervisor all changeing can't keep cashier they all leave because of management

Pros

Paid lunch

Cons

Long hours an short ones

fast paced but nice to work there

merchandise bed and bath. helping with merchandising of store most of the time, Set up the bagged area . Staff were good to work with .Cashier duties and customer service. enjoyed working with customers.

Pros

good work place and had free lunches once a month

Cons

sometimes very cold when working in the back room

Horrible place to work - you will hate your life

Value Village on Ottawa Street is a horrible place to work. Management does not care about the well-being or safety of their employees. Staff are overworked for minimum wage. The store manager only cares about money. She consistently blamed young woman for comments male customers would make towards them when they uncomfortable. Nor did she care about the safety of her staff during a pandemic.Overall, stay away.

not school friendly, plus some supervisors are the worst person to work with. with a high turnover rate

i would not reccommend working here if u are in school. they are the type of place who when u want part time they give full time hours... and get disgruntled when you dont want those hours ,saying "this will be tough to rework the schedule." has a high tunrover rate for employees under 3 months. even if it doesnt work out for you they want a two weeks letter of resignation if you have worked there for a week. There are some good supervisors and one really bad one. this one isnt very nice to people who do not share the same interests as her. its very cliquey. i received maybe 10 hours worth of on the job training and often got passively agressively talked to when i made mistakes when it was my second day on cash. it really is the kind of work place where if you arent taught it, figure it out.

Pros

50% discount

Cons

little to no training. all of the training is on the fly. high turnover

Stressful

Best to only speak when spoken to. Not a pleasant environment to work in. Management staff moody. Treat you like you are below them. Very hard work for little pay.

Eh

Worst place to work. Horrible production management. Was there 2 years and they don’t appreciate a thing you do there. Constantly yelled at for not making quota and made to work the only days you had off that week if not met.

Pros

Cons

Awful management

Best first job you can get

It is a really good place to get your first job at, the management and employees are all very helpful and collaborative and will help you out whenever you need them to, fairly paid, etc

Pass on working here

Favouritism is abundant. The only way to move up is to be favoured by management and not through hard work. Poor morale and gossip initiated by management. Any suggestions are shot down

Cons

Fastpace, exciting and welcoming environment

I feel that working at Value Village is a benefit for anyone. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and extremely supportive. Its nice to know your regulars and have a relationship with them as well.

Pros

Friends

Cons

Not enough hours

Customers & benefits = great. Pace = wonderful

Customers & benefits were definitely the best part. Explaining why staff allowed shoplifters to steal right in front of our faces (by the cart loads) and the paying customers watched & reported to staff which people were theives & staff done NOTHING BUT WATCH and made other shoppers PAY. Unfair to consumers to see, report & done NOTHING; as if tge staff did nit care. Staff. Hated this part of tge unfairness to our caring customers

Management at time was challenging to work with. has since changed

The work was driven by the needs of the business. Some days were shortened if insufficient product was available. Lots (almost non-stop) of lifting required throughout day.

very time consuming

I learned how the company receives donated items from the community and sells it for a cheaper price. I also enjoyed the discount I received to purchase some of the stores items.

great place if you like fast paced

It was good because it kept me busy and working hard. seniors day was the hardest because it was the busiest day and the messiest day for the floor at the store.

Can be a hard place to work at

Most times its okay but there can be a lot of drama between staff members which the management often times joins in on. The benefits weren't all that great

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement