Value Village logo

Value Village Employee Reviews for Cashier/Clerk

Work-life balance

Found 18 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,715 reviews

Awesome coworkers

The coworkers and sometimes customers made this job really awesome. The workers feel like one big (dysfunctional) family and you’re all in the same predicament of not getting enough hours, pay or being treated like machines and not humans. So it’s a lot of slaving away for little money but you get to do it with some seriously amazing people. It can be really fun and the customers come from all walks of life and are interesting to interact with! The older people in the company are most respected and typically are allowed to work at a slower pace but the young ones gotta do some back breaking work. The pay is really sad for the amount of work you do. Clean up at the end of the shift can be gruelling! The dress code allows for personal expression, and sometimes there’s cake for birthdays. Work life balance is there, but it also means you’re making 600$ a month...

Pros

Coworkers, Halloween

Cons

Stressful, difficult customers, small shifts at low pay

Productive and fun place

Team is very nice to work with, Employees are warm . Company provides accommodation to employee if needed. Highly effective team work. Easy to go team .

Pros

Free lunches, parties and christmas gift cards

Nothing extra

Do not allow you to speak your mind Very bossy supervisors are not approachable. If they like you, you are ok but if they don't they make your life miserable

Overall it was a very productive job there was always something to do but management was very messy and many employees felt like they weren't secure or safe and many of us felt threatened overall would not recommend working for this company!!!!!

Great as a first part-time job, very chill, yet can be very stressful and tedious

A typical day at work depends on what day and time your shift starts. Slow days usually consists of racking any unwanted clothing to be rolled back into the front, maintaining the cleanliness of the store, and helping a steady, but constant flow of customers. However it is usually during lunch and afternoon hours that's when it gets chaotic, especially on Senior Tuesday and the weekend. Sometimes, if not most of the time, you'd have to be multi-tasking, such as cleaning the washrooms, and answering phone calls while ringing in customers, and having exchanges. Because there are a few customers who always want to have the best deal possible, they can be very aggressive towards you especially during price-checks. The management at my former branch, was nice, and they were very patient, but they can have unrealistic expectations and quotas, especially during the annual sale days, and there can be a lack of communication. However, it was my colleagues who helped make the job enjoyable, and I've learned so much more than I could have ever had in year working at Value Village. I've made friends with many regular customers, and it was always a pleasure helping them.

highly engaged customer service

Value village is a caring and safe place to work at. The managers are always making sure the employees are well and ready to work. A typical day would have you working cash and cleaning the store floor in between. safety was a first for customers and workers.

Pros

two breaks and a lunch

Mangement = Terrible

The management where I worked was absolutely terrible. Wouldn’t respect that I couldn’t work Sunday, tried pressuring me to work 2 Sunday’s a month or more, had to tell them I couldn’t over and over. Knew I was in school and proceeded to give me, and other students 30+ hours when were PART TIME. Along with not believing that they’re overworking you when doing such things. You can’t call or book off any time during October even if you CANT work at all, they tell you to suck it up. The customers and cash was my favourite part. This was my first job and I quit because of how terrible and disrespectful they are. Coworkers were accepting and nice. Just the management was the worst.

Pros

Customers, 50% discount, accepting coworkers

Cons

Management is terrible, disrespectful, draining, not understanding

Great staff

I had an extremely positive experience working at this location, staff and management were extremely nice and supportive.

Poor Management

While the staff has been accommodating to my needs, there are several aspects of management that make it a difficult place to work in. The management is very strict in their ways, afraid of change and the ideas of team members who are below them in the Savers hierarchy. Many workers dread coming in for their shifts everyday.

Pros

Great discount (50% off), Two weeks notification for time off, great customers

Cons

Limited staff, Dirty and dusty, Disrespectful managers and policies for reporting issues within the store.

Questionable job, fantastic people - at least at the store where i was at

I have personally learned how to be a productive employee and individual and grew as a person over my long service to Value Village. The work culture is at times clique-y but depending on your department is very welcoming.

fun work place if working with the right management

Great company to work for when things are going right. Lot's of room for growth. Atmosphere is good, when the store is fully staffed the job is easy and enjoyable. when there is a shortage in staff and management, life can get very hectic and team moral can go down. Staff are overworked and still expected to meet quotas.

vv

it was an interesting first job. you learn to deal with all sorts of people, and how to keep calm in difficult situations. the discount was the best of the job. the production side of the job is very laborious and intense

good workplace with decent management

at times the workplace may get inappropriate in which management becomes unprofessional. However, they offer fair employee accommodations and hours are good.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

management

Fun and Friendly Emvironment

Great team environment. Everyone is supportive. Good work/life balance. A few issues with upper management. Fun team building events. Great staff discount.

Pros

Great Discounts

Friendly

Value village is a friendly place to work in. Managers are friendly and understanding. I love working with them. It's a workplace that gives you the feeling that you will always have the opportunity to develop and grow.

Fun working environment but can be stressful

A typical day at work would be providing customer service and performing general maintenance of the merchandises around the sale's floor. I learned how to perform cashiering duties and use a switch board to direct people's calls. The management is very laid-back and sometimes their work ethics can be very unprofessional. My co-workers are very friendly and we often enjoy working with each other. The hardest part of the job would be maintaining the cleanliness of the sale's floor during rush busy times and this sometimes can be very stressful. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is to see all the various unique merchandise being put out to the sales floor as well to provide excellent customer service to the frequent regular shoppers.

Pros

Increase wage every work anniversary

Cons

Dealing sometimes with rude customers

wouldn't recommend it.

It's OK for a first job. By the end of your first day, you'll want to cry coz your feet are way too sore. Management was good until they all quit and the company decided to be stricter. You can't really talk to the customers, coz the manager is staring at you. So you have to interact with customers while putting clothes back on the hangers. Which is quite rude to customers.

Pros

good coworkers and discount

Cons

inflexible management, your schedule is given at the beginning of the week

It was a really great experience working at Value Village

I'd come into work and find out what my duty of the day was. Sometimes I'd be head cashier, other days I'd be in charge of changing rooms, and some days I'd be in charge of cleaning and organizing clothes.

2.9Job security/advancement