Value Village logo
Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews for Cashier

Work-life balance

Found 135 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,715 reviews

fast paced but nice to work there

merchandise bed and bath. helping with merchandising of store most of the time, Set up the bagged area . Staff were good to work with .Cashier duties and customer service. enjoyed working with customers.

Pros

good work place and had free lunches once a month

Cons

sometimes very cold when working in the back room

Horrible place to work - you will hate your life

Value Village on Ottawa Street is a horrible place to work. Management does not care about the well-being or safety of their employees. Staff are overworked for minimum wage. The store manager only cares about money. She consistently blamed young woman for comments male customers would make towards them when they uncomfortable. Nor did she care about the safety of her staff during a pandemic.Overall, stay away.

not school friendly, plus some supervisors are the worst person to work with. with a high turnover rate

i would not reccommend working here if u are in school. they are the type of place who when u want part time they give full time hours... and get disgruntled when you dont want those hours ,saying "this will be tough to rework the schedule." has a high tunrover rate for employees under 3 months. even if it doesnt work out for you they want a two weeks letter of resignation if you have worked there for a week. There are some good supervisors and one really bad one. this one isnt very nice to people who do not share the same interests as her. its very cliquey. i received maybe 10 hours worth of on the job training and often got passively agressively talked to when i made mistakes when it was my second day on cash. it really is the kind of work place where if you arent taught it, figure it out.

Pros

50% discount

Cons

little to no training. all of the training is on the fly. high turnover

Stressful

Best to only speak when spoken to. Not a pleasant environment to work in. Management staff moody. Treat you like you are below them. Very hard work for little pay.

Eh

Worst place to work. Horrible production management. Was there 2 years and they don’t appreciate a thing you do there. Constantly yelled at for not making quota and made to work the only days you had off that week if not met.

Pros

Cons

Awful management

Best first job you can get

It is a really good place to get your first job at, the management and employees are all very helpful and collaborative and will help you out whenever you need them to, fairly paid, etc

Pass on working here

Favouritism is abundant. The only way to move up is to be favoured by management and not through hard work. Poor morale and gossip initiated by management. Any suggestions are shot down

Cons

Many broken promises of moving up, store manager is rude and full of self.

Many broken promises of moving up, store manager very abrupt with staff with obvious favourites. Front End Supervisors very stressed with lack of support. Staff call in sick every day leaving others completely . Very heartless organization

Fastpace, exciting and welcoming environment

I feel that working at Value Village is a benefit for anyone. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and extremely supportive. Its nice to know your regulars and have a relationship with them as well.

Pros

Friends

Cons

Not enough hours

Customers & benefits = great. Pace = wonderful

Customers & benefits were definitely the best part. Explaining why staff allowed shoplifters to steal right in front of our faces (by the cart loads) and the paying customers watched & reported to staff which people were theives & staff done NOTHING BUT WATCH and made other shoppers PAY. Unfair to consumers to see, report & done NOTHING; as if tge staff did nit care. Staff. Hated this part of tge unfairness to our caring customers

Jobs at Value Village

Cashier positions
See more jobs

Management at time was challenging to work with. has since changed

The work was driven by the needs of the business. Some days were shortened if insufficient product was available. Lots (almost non-stop) of lifting required throughout day.

very time consuming

I learned how the company receives donated items from the community and sells it for a cheaper price. I also enjoyed the discount I received to purchase some of the stores items.

great place if you like fast paced

It was good because it kept me busy and working hard. seniors day was the hardest because it was the busiest day and the messiest day for the floor at the store.

Can be a hard place to work at

Most times its okay but there can be a lot of drama between staff members which the management often times joins in on. The benefits weren't all that great

Awesome place

Value village is a great place to work.. well respected by management and team members . Perfect job for high schools students. Upper management will accommodate you with your school schedule.

Great management

Although it was like a nearly new shop, the management was pretty thorough when it came to floors, and always having everything organize d all the time! Now at first I thought that the managers were being a bit pessimistic, but I found after a while when the store was busy, and noone was reorganizing and putting everything back into the appropriate section, according to specific colors as well, well to put it mildly...the store looked really bad. Of course that meant working after the store closed, and noone left till all the merchandise were back where they should be. If you wish to get off right when you are scheduled, and don't want to put in a few extra hours here and there, this isn't the job for you. The job interview was a little more detailed than I thought going into it, but the questions were on point, as to developing an idea of who you are. Like I mentioned above, doing things right, and properly all the time sort of was there approach to all employees....which led to everyone being treated properly, and equal. I have also worked in other retail outlets and I gotta say the management ran the store efficiently and with that said, after a few weeks of being employed, I was getting the hang of everything, but when I did something contrary to procedure, the employees were very helpful in correcting me, which led me to believe we were a team. So yes, I found the rest of the staff to very positive and the environment while working was good, and never did I feel apprehensive to asking someone for assistance. If anything the customers were always looking for -

Pros

Good management, good environment, friendly co-workers

Cons

Extra hours not scheduled, seasonal employment, customers were contraval

Casual and great coworkers, not great for a career

It's definitely a great place for your first job as they are very understanding and teach you everything you would need to do the job up to standards with a lot of patience. Although after working for quite a few months it starts to become boring and repetitive. As a really hard worker a lot of the times your work goes underappreciated the more you do as you are on your feet all day while the supervisors can just stand around around for up to an hour before they do much work. They also are not very lenient on you being even just a minute late after being late consecutive days. Fair warning, all you get is three protected sick days. In your training they make it seem easy to advance but it's really not. My managers and supervisors have had the same position for years upon years and there are only now 3 stores in London. If you want full time you have to work long hours in production and trust me, it's tiring.

Pros

casual, good coworkers, birthday cake and occasional free lunches

Cons

on your feet all day

Could be better management, better scheduling.

I enjoyed most of my fellow employees and working with the public. The manager was not always truthful and relayed information to best suit him. Was promised supervisor position and he never followed through.

Pros

My co workers, benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

Not organized and poor management

Productive and friendly work enviroment

I enjoy working there, the people I work with are incredible and we all work well as a team. We are always there for each other when or if needed. We've leaned on each other during hard times.

fun place to work, but demanding

the people that work with me are great, but just like any job there is always something that needs to be done, so you constantly have something to do, makes the day go by fast.

An excellent establishment to work at

the shifts at Value Village are fast-paced and can be a little disorganized at some points throughout the day, but if you can handle the little bit of stress that comes with working with the family-like team and mostly enjoyable/fair management decisions this place is a enjoyable employment option.

2.9Job security/advancement