Value Village

Ambassador73 reviews
Canada73 reviews

Found 73 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,030 reviews
donationhalloweenquotaitemstoresaverproductionclothing

Fun but lack of opportunities for learning.

Overall, it’s a fun place to work. Though it’s physically challenging, I could say it’s a decent job for someone looking for an income while waiting for a better job.

Not a great working environment...

I worked at one of worst Canadian locations and didn't make it through my probation period all thanks to a toxic environment. Production staff talk negatively about other staff that aren't in their circle and spreading rumours/gossip. Production managers don't know how to run the store and show favouritism towards their own production staff. CDC and other front end staff get treated horribly by the production managers. Front end managers are actually not too receptive of production managers. This store is also disorganized that there was no employees pricing furniture for four days leaving a massive buildup in the back room and claimed they were short-staffed. It was just an excuse to cover up their mismanagement. I disagreed with how employees had to wait two days to make a purchase at the store they worked at. This took a lot of fun out of working for the company and customers shouldn't always come first. Value Village's employee policies are no different from any corporation, but they don't want the general public knowing about their so-called "big problems behind closed doors" despite constant negative publicity about overpriced items.

Pros

50% off at other stores

Cons

Toxic workplace

Insights into Value Village

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Don't waste your time here

Good place to work if you have nowhere else to go. I worked for the company for a long time, I know how they work. The employees are usually really good. Supervisors are hit or miss. Store managers do not care about anything except the company image and high profits. They do not care about wages or safety whatsoever. The last store I worked at consistently defied their own safety standards for selling hazardous items such as paint, cleaners, butane, lighter fluid etc. If you're lucky with good Supervisors, it's not terrible. They are usually pretty flexible with days off, however they will work you to the bone and expect you to be available for every shift. VV as a company has become a target for drug addicts, homeless, and shoplifters. One more reason not to work here. Again, all depends which store and the management. But my experiences have been terrible. 12 years with the company. I am no longer there.

Would probably be more organised without management

Starting with the actual job, training is AWFUL, when I left, there were people that were approaching their 1 year mark without being fully trained for their job, you'll watch 10 hours worth of videos with little hands on experience before you're thrown in. Work is off and on, expect to work hard for minimum wage but there is sometimes downtime between the busy times. If you're part-time, forget about consistent hours, you'll be lucky to get 20 hours per week and for the most part, this is a Part-Time position. Most of the employees are friendly, Management for the CDC needs to stop doing whatever they are doing. You'll be left scratching your head about the supervisors decisions almost daily, they leave you to deal with the busiest parts of the day ALONE and they sprint around like it's super busy when it's quiet, they stress everyone out and make the work environment significantly worse than it could be. Worst of all, the managers constantly talk about employees behind their back to other employees. They never punish anyone for being late, you'll get a slap on the wrist at most. But DO NOT stay because your co-workers are nice, it will be the end of you, you'll come in dreading every work day, and leave a tired shell after management is done with you.

Pros

It's a job, they pay you.

Cons

Lots of work for little pay, On-calls, Terrible Management, inconsistant hours, Awful training, Constant gossip, Toxic environment

Horrible experience

This place is extremely unorganized and they'll make you do the job without properly training you .. I would not recommend this unless you're hurting for $$

Pros

Cons

Horrible management

Productive work place.

Easy work all across the board. Excellent work hours. Good supervisors and mod's. There is no Hassel. You have to be strong to work. Very good schedule.

Pros

Some times free lunch

Cons

Not very clean.

Overall a decent job for students

This was probably my favorite job I've had just based on the coworkers I had. I also had a pretty odd availability and they were mostly forgiving due to the fact that they always had some form of coverage.

Only take this job if you have to

Management was lacklustre and very very behind with the times, they are out of touch with the customer base and the community at large, and trying to get any type of request or form by them is a painfully long task. The employees and some supervisors are treated like garbage, while the higher up management is very cliquy and not friendly to approach. The customers that come through are also very rude, and it has only gotten worse the COVID-19 restrictions in place, which the store was not really trying to implement anyways. For minimum wage, you're better off trying something else

Pros

The co-workers who also hate working there

Cons

Terrible management, rude customers, no team member safety

Relaxed environment

I assist customers with donations in the CDC(Community donation centre).On a daily basis, I organize the donated materials onto carts with wheels.I have learned the value of customer service.Management is very polite and easy-going as long as you focus on the job at hand. Fellow employees are respectable and polite as well.

Enjoyable and relaxed

Very team oriented, laid back, cooperative, caring work place. Offer benefits, pay for work boots, they work with your schedule if needed. Easy to talk with upper management.

Pros

Benefits, boots paid for, easy going management

Cons

Retail, not guaranteed hours

Save yourself a headache - work for a different company or a different location.

- Management was atrocious. - Generally liked to pick on and bully the employees, often reminding them that they're expendable and replacable. Furthermore, they can and will actively bully employees they dislike into quitting so they don't fire them, thus underhandedly disallowing ex-staff members to apply for Employment Insurance. - No sense of work/life balance, often harassing employees for calling in sick once with guilt trips or threats of physical/written documentation outlining why you're in trouble for 'abandoning your team'. Furthermore, time off was often declined, regardless of frequency, yet management would take time off and call in sick whenever they felt like it? - Very quick to absolve themselves of blame and throw lower level employees under the bus or fault them for incidents that they didn't cause. - Promises of training on equipment such as forklifts, or cross-training into other departments, but never any follow-up.- A high level of patience is required for the customers. - Many customers were incredibly rude solely because it was a thrift store. - Many customers would try to donate broken items and literal garbage, claiming that they worked. - Be prepared to lift very heavy objects. Items can range from anywhere between 5 lbs and 75 lbs. Management will tell you to carry these by yourself at times.

Pros

Occasional free meals or cakes to celebrate birthdays, and employees are pretty close-knit and easy to get along with.

Cons

See review.

overworked

they make you over work for as cheap as possible and the company saving money is more important than anything else, even safety. everyone felt overworked and stressed.

Team player

It was good working in value village its just that management is not good to look after team members difficulty and they are least bother.And my qualification is different than what work i was doing basically i was bit over qualified for that job thanku

I enjoy working there

It is a great time to work at Value Village, but as expected of all workplaces, there are some down sides as well. As for my job interview, I applied, went for two interviews and was hired in the span of five hours.

Short

Part-time is horrible. Everyone hated the hours, how much it felt management was pushing you for all you were worth. High turnover rate. They will divide hours between part-time associates when unnecessary, such as hiring another part timer when they already have several and hours are scarce. Depressing to work at.

Rewarding

This company is into promoting employees from within. Consideration of achievement is compensated by way salary ,bonus and written comments. They are extremely involved in their community and assist local non profit communities.

Different depending on where you work.

There are many different positions at Value Village. I have worked as a Cashier, a Community Donation Center Ambassador, a Furniture Pricer, and a Recycler. Accepting donations and working as a recycler are physically demanding positions and keep you in shape. Management was always generally great and helpful, and I have no complaints about it.

Quite a good place to work

It is an exciting place to work and offers great opportunity to grow on the job. It is non discriminatory and a fast paced place to work. You also work in a fairly friendly environment. Tea, coffee and chocolate are always available for workers consumption. The workers are hardworking and the management very effective. Everyone works hard there including the management staff .

Very coopertive and calm work culture

I started as a part-time worker there and I quite liked the work culture and especially the supervisors I was working with they were pretty helpful and supportive in everything I was doing.

No Respect

If you work as a cashier, or CDC you will not get enough hours to live off of. Further still, they constantly send people home early during the slow season (which is most of the year) - sometimes this is by a few hours and sometimes mere minutes believe it or not. Anything to save a buck. They have "call in" shifts where you don't know if you work until you call in at a specific time of the day where they will either tell you to come in (within the hour) or to stay at home. The front end manager physically works hard but has no people management skills. Truly none. You will not be respected at this job by about half of "management". The other half are fine and actually know how to talk to other humans. The easiest part of the job is the actual job itself. It is fast-paced in the busy season but it's not difficult work. The hardest part of the job is living with such truly awful management. Morale is low. Pay is low. Thankfully most of the front-end employees are friendly, easy, and enjoyable to be around. Your sanity will come from them.

Was fine

Managers were a little too focused on everyone and micro managed a lot of the time but that varied from managwr to manager, some of the newer managers were good to work with tho.

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement