Value Village logo
Happiness score is 50 out of 100Below average

Value Village Employee Reviews in Victoria, BC

Work-life balance

Found 24 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,715 reviews

Productive and fun workplace but not very good with hours.

When I worked there it was a fun and productive job. I enjoyed it alot, aside from they did not listen to my needs. I was hired as part time (due to medical reasons I can't work more than that) they put me in for 8-9 hours a day 5-6 days a week. When I tried to talk about it they started scheduling me for more shifts/hours.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Long hours and disregard for overworking staff.

Don't work here lol

The managers are incredibly rude to both staff and customers, and racially profile potential shoplifters. They do not pay well enough for the physical and mental toll that the job takes.

Multicultural workplace

Every day same routine, Arrived at 6:30 am started cleaning all the aisles. Placing the news items on the raws and take away old items that is expired.

Enjoyable place to work, has lots of space to make yourself busy.

Challenging job could be different daily, dealing different kinds of people. I have learned more handling cash and maintain the total until end of the shift. Dynamic, fun and busy workplace. The hardest part were closing shift needed to clean up all the messed. Put everything back where supposed to be. Most enjoyable part was cashiering and using the pager to call co-worker to open other cashier or calling help to a supervisor.

want to much from staff

It may be a thrift store but they treat it as if things were new. Prices are to high to get a stronger bottom line. Make staff work for little pay and continue to ask for more output.

Varied duties in a fast pace environment

- Good balance between professional and personal life, - Busy job with a lot of tasks to do in a minimum time - Friendly and supportive team and managers

Fun workplace

It's the people that make this place worth coming to work. Management is great, so long as you show that you have the willingness to learn and the need to grow. It can be a little hectic at times but it is also a really great place to make new friends and learn new things. Overall I would highly recommend working here. Management treats employees well. I felt like part of a team here.

Pros

50% Discount, Flexibility

Run from this place

The only thing you meet here are a group of happy workers slaving for American capitalist. Bad management, unhealthy and unsafe work place, toxic low level managers, poor pay, deception by the management, ill-mannered receptionists at the head office. They select stooges and vulnerable immigrants to become managers so they can exploit them. It is suicidal to think of working here.

Pros

Happy immigrant workers

Cons

every other thing is BAD

Never work here.

Absolutely the worst place to work. Rude and abusive management. Management screams at workers and are derogatory. This is not how people should be treated at a workplace.

Pros

Cons

Abusive management

Fun work

Sales clerk is an exciting work because every customer is different and you have the opportunity to understand the shopping behavior as well as how the store change at every season to adapt itself to the customers needs

Pros

every days is different

Cons

lomg hours standing

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Value Village?

Productive workplace

Value Village offers a welcome to anyone willing to work regardless of color, ethnicity, religion or social class. It is a good place to learn work in the sales area and helps to know different cultures. Complete training at the entrance to the company

Pros

easy access

Cons

high rotation

Excellent Workplace

The co-workers are super friendly The work environment is fun Supervisors and managers are friendly and go out of their way to help you or the customers

Productive workplace

A thrift store chain offering secondhand clothing, shoes, bed and bath and furniture. A for-profit, offering great quality, gently used clothing, etc.

Fun at work

Every day is a busy day and there is a lot to learn about customer service and how to resolve issues with various customers and other matters. The management of value village is very structural and there are multinational people working here, together with local in the same pot. The hardest part of the job is there "no time for breathing". Most enjoyable of the is the time passes very fast.

Productive and Fun work Place

-Working here every day is a new day and meeting with different customers. -Have learned to work with Canadian work culture and have gained knowledge to adapt the system. -Have gained marketing and sales knowledge and am enjoying to work with sales, production and store managers to exchange my knowledge and experience that I have gained over many years -To manage large number of staff member (approx 75) is a big challenge -To meet different customers and resolving various customer complaints and as well as fulfilling customer demand is the key aspects to enjoy this job

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

various shifts

horrible place to work

Its a slave environment or close to what slave work isin a 1'st world country.Dusty and many clothing has mold/asbestos and dried bird excrement in some cases thatyou breathe in. Impossible quotas are demanded to be met in order to process a certain amount of donations in every day. One employee was reprimanded for being "too positive". He would always keep our moods up by saying things like "good job so and so". I remember the day he stopped and said that he got in trouble for encouraging people whenthey werent meeting the quotas.. On top of that the entire company's product is free.. Good scam theygot going.

Pros

Cons

dangerous hazardous

Toxic, and Unsafe Environment

Value village has unsafe work conditions, many workers who are required to are not wearing their steel toes and managers are setting a poor example by also not wearing them. Managers are not responsive to employee needs - such as unsafe conditions being pointed out which can be remedied, but ignored due to frugality and laziness. They have a deeply entrenched toxic workplace culture where bullying is seen as normal.

Pros

lots of hours

Cons

toxic workplace environment, apathetic managers, bully employees.

Good benefits, unrealistic dealines

Great team members to work with, but management makes the team feel so miserable and over worked that everyone end up wanting to leave. Management is constantly changing their mind and make you feel like you don´t know your job. A lot of pressure and unrealistic deadlines are a daily stress. Benefits could be better in such big company. Terrible environment for those who are allergic. Lots of shoplifters, making you feel frustrated and unsafe.

Pros

Benefits, employee discount, stability

Cons

Unsafe, dirty, very demanding

it was an alright job

I worked in production and although the hours were good and I liked getting done work at 4pm every day there were also quite a few things I really disliked about working at Value Village. First off the management was very unorganized and inconsistent. They put me on so many different jobs while I worked there and they worked me to my full potential but didn't pay me a dime extra, even for the more difficult jobs! I didn't feel that was fair. The pay is also horrible. The low pay is the reason why I could not continue working there anymore. it just wasn't even worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Pros

great coworkers

Cons

too much back-breaking work for almost no money

Former Operations - Victoria store

Rude Management - no people skills at all. Some Supervisors extremely lazy and treat staff and customers poorly at the front end. Co-workers fun even though over-worked and lack of motivation. Mgmt won't meet shift requests at all, only if you are a "favourite." This kind of behavior makes all the videos you have to watch a complete joke. Value Village corporation as a whole - very good. Victoria management/supervision - very poor.

Pros

Got some training on cash.

Cons

Poor management and supervision.

Don't work for them (Angry environment)

Angry supervisors. Lazy Supervisors, hard to find. Treat employees very poorly. They do not care about employees self esteem. The back is ran like a SWEAT SHOP. Don't work there.

Pros

Cons

co-workers are nice but treated poorly by management

2.9Job security/advancement