Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Working at Value Village has its ups and downs, as do any retail store. At times it can be relaxing while others can be a hectic mess, especially on sale days, where half of the store is on the floor and you need to pick it up. I call this the bootcamp of retail because these kind of days really train your patience. It teaches you how to survive in a fast paced environment and to take things lightly despite the overwhelming frenzy it could present itself in. Of course, the people you work with will play a huge role in your work satisfaction. In my experience, people were very friendly and helpful. The key to success here is good team work and patience.
Blind leading the blind is their training method here when you work in this place. You have a laziest managers and supervisors that pretends to know everything. All they care about is you reaching your job quota and sales so they get their bonuses. Also, managers and supervisors pays favouritism when it comes to staff and who gets higher hourly pays.. Most employees who has been there for over two years still gets minimum wage. If you do get a little pay raise, manager will talk to you not to say anything to others. Also, management don't trust their employess and question them when they call in sick. Seriously, do work here and see what I'm talking about.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes and staff discount
Cons
Too many to list but basically they will treat you like a slave period unless they like you.
The co-workers were great but management was a joke. They had no respect for their employees and treated us like robots. Not accomodating for disabilities. Poor training. Worst job I've ever had.
Cons
Poor management, Stressful, Extreme Expectations
Awful. The working conditions are poor at best and the management was intolerant. The workload was intense and backbreaking, the pay was just a few cents above minimum wage at the time. The job was truly soul-sucking and not fit for more than a summer gig. One coworker got her five-year recognition while I was there... it was done at 7:30 AM in the overcrowded breakroom and she was given a free dinner at the Boathouse. Not worth it. The turnover rate was incredible except for the few people who couldn't get work elsewhere.
Value village would be a great first job. They accept anybody who is qualified and are very diverse with whom they choose. Not a bad environment, co-workers are very nice and supportive
The management team was not good ,their behavior was not good at all ,never got appreciated for the hard work .the supervisor was the worst I had ever in my life ,she didn't knew her work we had to tell her about that .
Is really gross working here, everyone treats you bad at the beginning you can’t even trust the security guy here because he was looking at me more rather than other people. They pay minimum to live with dust and rats.
Overall was a fun place to work. Loved being there for Halloween because you got to dress up in costumes basically the whole month. Lots of busy days and lots of downtime to. best part was how fast days went when busy. Loved sale days. Worst part is how many shoplifters come in daily.
great people and great managment.. They were very supportive of me after I went for surgery and during my recovery.. Couldnt of asked for a better group of people to work with.
If I were you I would work anywhere else , management creep your social media and if you are In hospital after being injured you will lose your job , there is a risk too ur health and your safety when it comes too drug addicts you are on your own too protect yourself against threatening customers
Pros
Coworker are wonderful not management
Cons
Working at Value Village was CRAZY! so many thieves, and not enough security. discovering human feces from the bad people on the products. I felt unsafe there.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
hours, customers and workplace
A typical day involves helping customers at cash and clearing any obstructions or fallen sales items off the floor. I learned how to interact with customers, how to properly handle cash or credit card purchases, and patience for others. Management itself is alright, they're usually trying their best to help you but more often than not are too busy dealing with customers to have time to assist you. The workplace culture is actually quite nice, the other employees are quite nice and everyone relates pretty well with each other since we all work together in similar positions. The hardest part of the job is keeping your calm while you deal with the occasional difficult customer or the shoplifters that come in all the time due to the area the location is at, since they'll often mouth off at you. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I had worked with and meeting all sorts of people at the till.
Pros
Flexible hours, kind coworkers, fairly lax dress uniform
Cons
Schedule errors occur often, safety is a concern due to the area
worked in all departments of company, assist with setting up seasonal store fixtures, worked on cash, donation area, stock racks with clothes and assists costumer with items.
Pros
meeting new people, seeing cool stuff
Cons
disorganzied managment, tons of shoplifters, extremely arrongant supervisors
As a sorter you have a quota managers are very demanding to make sure you reach these almost impossible quotas. Very dirty and dusty environment. The stress of having to reach quota on a daily basis and dealing with toxic smells and bugs not worth the low pay.
Benefits
Cons
Quota
A typical day is a lot of unstable people coming in and out, and saying a lot of inappropriate things to people. Generally, they're good stories, but they're weird. Management was very friendly and nice.
Had a good time working here, the people were nice and the management team was friendly. Caring people and treat you like family. A bit dusty and kind of dirty a lot of the time working downstairs but was a good job.
Pros
they bought pizza about once a month, had a good coffee and hot chocolate machine for the workers.
Cons
not high enough pay
Good ethics, supportive in employee growth and development. Halloween season is the busiest and most stressful time of year and requires a lot of planning.
I'd like to say the only reason why I enjoyed Value Village so much was because of the environment I was in, it was never slow and or boring. Being able to build friendships with the coworkers and buyers because of the regulars, was my favorite thing. Very talkative person and this job you needed to talk!
Value Village was very accommodating to my schedule as a student, numerous promotions are possible if you have the drive and display a specific skill set.
Finishing my task everyday. I learned that the recycling goes to the undeveloped country s. Management was unorganized. They were fun to work with Was finishing the task everyday. Making people smile and meeting new people
sorting clothing and hanging on racks to be priced for going out on the floor for resale. Management was not understanding and professional. co-workers were great. nothing hard about the job at all. customer service/ corresponding with co-workers/ customers.
Pros
it was work.
Cons
mismanagement.