Savers/Value Village Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Found 54 reviews matching the search See all 2,172 reviews
Production
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2019
Management doesnt know what there doing .overworked lke a sweat shop always hiring so many sorters but not anything else people being quiting left right and centre
Pros
Good location
Cons
Management .making you work outside in the heat .b
Management is horrible
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto10 May 2019
Management is horrible
Coworkers r very nice though.
Fun environment to work with.
The employee discount is good.
Supervisors are always over worked. Customers are always complaining the prices are too high
Pros
Employee discount 50% discount
Cons
Too much qork and not organised most of the time. Supervisors are over worked
Management needs more training
Front-End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2019
I had a concern that I bought up with one of the managers and I was meet with a hostile response that made the work place very uncomfortable afterwards
Good job fun yes
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2019
A Progressive Modern Company which strives to adapt and lead in the Data field across many applications now and for the future. High expectations of fwew yes
Fun somedays, A nightmare other days
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 February 2019
VV will hire just about anyone so if you're really looking for a job value village is a good place to start. I had a really good manager (at times) at my store but last year we had a few changes and received a new manager who loves to cut corners a lot, even to the point of breaking their own safety rules. I left because things were just going downhill, no passion from supervisors and management, pretty bad working conditions at times and little to no hours. We used to hold events such as free lunch, BBQ, and activities for all the coworkers just to name a few but those were non existent with the new manager.

There a lot more I can say but I'll just keep it short.

The coworkers were amazing, they were the main reason I kept pushing on and staying.

Management now is terrible, same with the supervisors minus a select few (this may vary from location to location)

they used to have a great coverage but now its completely different and not really that useful unless you decide to spend the rest of your life there
Pros
free lunch, Flexable, Nice Coworkers, Flexible break times (only as production)
Cons
Poor management, Poor supervisors, questionable work conditions(depends on area), May overwork you without even realizing it
Overall Perception of the company
Cashier/Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
During my 3 years working for the company, I felt that the company was very unprofessional. It was very hard to communicate with Management. Never listened to suggestion or inputs on how to improve the company.
friendly environment
Member in training health and safety comity (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2018
good experienced gain as a customer service. people are awesome to work with. it's just for a day job, management need to work better on increasing wages.
exciting and challenging job
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2018
taking care of clients and taking responsibilities as a caregiver , housekeeper is very sensitive in terms of safety, need to assure that i am providing an excellent service to satisfy first myself and to become really confident , these employment was great , i applied my knowledge and I learned something new everyday of serving them , all are great
Pros
very loving family
Volunteer Work
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 June 2018
It was volunteer job to get experience as a business office staff. I enjoyed working there because it was helping the new comers and abused women with housing, language and community resources. In addition, I was improving my knowledge as a administrative staff by answering phones, filing paper work, scheduling appointment and supporting peers.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
No salary
Fun in the past.... But
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
Value village when I first started was a blast, it was tough but still very fun with my amazing co-workers and bosses (supervisor's, store owner, & store manager)

but as the years went on we saw new supervisors that eventually replaced our current supervisors and a new manager/store owner. This is when things started going downhill. they reduced our hours significantly, reduced the products we had in the store such as cleaning supplies, basic needs like plastic cup and even paper towels at one point (everyone complained to get them back)

The quality check has worsen with management just caring about how much items we put out instead of actually checking the product fully to ensure its safe to purchase for our customers. Also we used to get free lunches on sale days or special events but not anymore!

the work load too is also pretty bad. Before if you were given a section then that would be your section for your whole shift, most of the times max you would get 2 sections and that lead to a clean store and a clean environment for the customers. As of today that is no longer the case. we're given multiple sections and have a lot of side things to worry about since they started cutting our hours. For example you would now get 3-5 sections plus hangers/ fitting room/cash/ showcase or where ever they want you pretty much. its a lot and too overwhelming for a part time student.

My store went from a fun,happy environment to a prison. No ones allowed to talk to one another anymore (unless the boss comes to talk with you) & our benefits from the past have been cut significantly
  more... plus the way we're treated is not acceptable.

if your really desperate for money then by all means come here, Its not that bad, The people are really nice and honestly are the only reason why i stayed for 3 years, but keep in mind that you'll most likely be on call and your hours may be all over the place from one week having 20+ hours to having only 6.
Pros
Awesome co-workers, Find some nice rare items, the employee discount
Cons
management, hours, cleanliness, cheap or no supplies, Dusty, Overwhelming
Nice Company to start your career
Team Lead - Customer Donation Centre (CDC) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2017
A very nice organization with very talented management and work force. You always get motivation to excel further and work hard to reach at the higher position of your career.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2017
A typical day at Value Village you're either on cash, doing general recovery or in fitting room. we have our regular customers who are very nice you grow to love them then you have the rude ones. Management is awesome, they are very understanding when it comes to booking days off, being sick or when things pop up within the family. They try the best they can to help you out. Hours are very good. The best part of working at Value Village is you meet new people that potentially become your great friends and every moment there is enjoyable. There is not a day i wake up and decide im not going in.. only when im sick.
Pros
good hours, bonuses, people you meet
Cons
rude customers
great for Halloween supplys
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2017
I you are young and have very little job experience this position will teach you how to develop your skills in team building and time management, i also left with a lot of friendships so that cool to
Pros
50% off
Cons
enviroment
Fun place to work, fast paced
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2017
Very quick paced work, if you don't work fast forget about applying. Decent employee discount, excellent benefits and profit sharing program. You are dealing with a lot of old and dusty items be prepared to sneeze alot
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
can be stressful pace, dusty
Team Player and productive environment
Community Donation Center Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2017
it gives opportunity to the young ones and it a good start for an employment experience. it help not only the community but also its charity partners in achieving specific goals.
Hard work with great people
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  1319 Bloor St W, Toronto, ON M6H 1P327 June 2017
A typical day for a full time worker begins at 7:30 am. There is quite a lot of work, and it rarely is finished by the end of your shift. This lack of a sense of progress is difficult, and the quotas and time-limits are challenging. The best part of Value Village lies in the people you work with. Management is sympathetic and supportive within their limits, and there is often snacks or themed-days that brighten your week.
Pros
Free coffee, discount on clothes
Cons
Quotas rarely met, not for those with allergies
Operations
Operations Team and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2017
Not organized and low pay. Not enough hours.Management seemed very disconnected. They rarely recognize your acconplidhments and they ask too much of you for such little pay.
New Beginnings and great deals
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2017
The company is one which turns one person's garbage into treasure for another buy giving it new life and a new home. The deals are fantastic staff discounts are awesome
Pros
Staff discounts, growth opportunities, work life balance
Cons
Work can become overwhelming, demanding job
I enjoyed to work in a fast paced environment, and helping customers in need.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
The company helps a lot of people, and is currently giving charity on cancer research.

I love the work environment, however, i am only temporary in my position.
Pros
I have the freedom to choose my own schedule, and friendly enviromnent.
Cons
Low salary
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2017
It's like any part-time job a beginner can have,it's a bit difficult at the start but once you get a hang of it it can be good. The most hardest part of the job is the people you meet everyday. i am a salesperson and you meet a lot of people with different culture and personality, so you really have to be careful how to deal with them, i find this hard but i also find i most enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savers/Value Village. Our community is ready to answer.