Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in Stoney Creek, ON

I worked at value village for 5 years. First I started off as a cashier then made my way into the production room where I did various positions. My favourite was being a pricer. Less dirty and physical. They offer great benefits for full timers, paid vacation even for part timers after a year, paid sick days and yearly raise (starting off at minimum wage). Oh, and the discount was awesome. Obviously there were problems with management and the job can be very physically demanding, fast paced and stressful but I worked Monday-Friday and it made up for some of it!
I had such a bad experience working here. The environment is stressful and all your coworkers make you feel bad about being stressed and will be rude to each other instead of helping each other out. Managers would toy with my anxiety and single me out for no reason. At one point while closing, a manager told other workers not to help and get their things while I was stuck doing a very long task by myself the entire time. Eventually telling me stop because it wasn’t going to get done without help, and I clocked out. I had such a bad panic attack that night. Only a few coworkers we’re actually nice and hated it there just as much. I think I only had one nice manager my entire time being there. Very stressful, unwelcoming, and unkind work environment.
Pros
None, don’t work here.
Cons
Everything, management, co workers, environment.
Very busy in the back room but it was a fun kind of challenge. There is opportunity to grow within the company if you apply yourself. They are always slightly understaffed so it is difficult to get time off.
It is a ok place to work for a student like the team members there hours were good they gave you what you needed for the job manger are good to there employees.
the location i worked at is a mess and as far as I know, its still a mess. The managers would use bullying tactics as a way of getting the employees to push club cards on customers, and if you didn't get enough people to sign up, they would threaten you with a write up and potential termination. They hired whomever would basically show up to the interview and 9 times out of 10 those people would either quit very shortly after or it would be someone who doesn't do anything at the place but would somehow never get fired for being lazy or not completing work tasks. Often times when you're on call (especially in afternoons or planned sales events) you'd be called in and a lot of the time you were un-needed to work but you'd probably be there for the rest of the shift and they'd send someone else home. Or if you're on call sometimes they'd tell you not to worry about coming in but if there isn't someone else that can come in if there are any issues they'll call you last minute (when you ironically make plans) and beg you to come in.
Toxic work environment. Too much drama between employees and managemant unfair to situations that arise. Management does not help with advancemant of employees, as policies and procedures work against employees on a daily basis.
Its busy when they have the big sales. The back you sort threw bags of clothing off of giant 7 foot carts stacked with bags. Sometimes up to 1,200 pounds and you have a time limit depending on the weight , For instance i did a 1,200 pound cart and got 27 minutes to rip the bags open and sort the clothing and the shoes ,, house wears, jewelry ect. Very fast paced. Shirts need to be hung in 6 seconds everything is on a time. Even the racks they bring out have to have 100 items and you get 15 minutes to sort it and bring it to each section . you sign in your time and the time youre done.
Pros
helping people
Cons
Sometimes donations have quesetionable items
Worked for the company for almost 9 yrs. Not overly bad to work for them, but many cons most wouldn't consider unless placed in the job environment themselves.
Pros
full time with benefits
Cons
stress and headaches
40 hours a week. minimum wage. Same repetitive job. half hour lunch breaks. Standing in one spot for 8 hours a day. Allowed to talk unless told otherwise from your manager.
Pros
40 hours a week
Cons
no talking
loved working with all types of customers, Supervisors are great to work with. I picked up the new cash registers fast. People I worked with are great.
-great friendly team -fast work pace, time management, character building -great management friendly and helpful -hardest part of the job was unloading carts of cloths in a very short time window -putting the price tags into the items
I definitely enjoyed working at Value Village very much. I got along well with both coworkers and management. I actually miss working there because I loved being a team member and I always had a good time when I worked my shifts. A lot of the customers were very nice, as well.
* Communicate effectively with customers to help meet various needs * Assist in sorting through and organizing merchandise * Worked in a team environment as well as independently
I loved the people I worked with including management. It wasn't a high paying job, but it was a job I love going to everyday. I even left for a period of time for a higher paying job but found that, I much rather work at a lower paying that I love then a higher paying job that I didn't. I would have never left Value Village if my circumstances didn't change. Great company to work for!
Pros
too many to count. fun, learning something new, the people
Cons
low pay, too far for me to travel
I worked for value village for 3 months before they let me go without notice the day before my 3 month probation wa suppose to end. My friend was suppose to get a raise for the referral if I lasted that long, go figure. Management here is so disorganized. They complain about not having enough staff then they fire people left, right and centre. I showed up every single day, on time, and even stayed later if needed. They let go a few people who did their job properly and chose to keep people who took time off constantly. For waste your time. Apply up on the mountain.
Pros
Coworkers were fantastic, decent hours, okay pay
Cons
Poorly managed, no job security