Value Village logo
Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in St. Catharines, ON

Found 7 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,733 reviews

Better place to work for min. wage

Value Village is a step above most companies -good people, benefits, staff incentives. -hard work, time flies by for some -good hours for some -there is an open door policy -emphasis on respect in the workplace

Pros

lunches, benefits, hours

Cons

tiring work. time quotas, pressure

Highly stressful, poorly managed

I worked here for just over 3 months, and I almost had a mental breakdown. Mind you I have anxiety, but I just could not get used to the extremely fast-paced, never-ending stress. This location was particularly poorly managed, so I can see the job being less horrible if managed better. Several employees would always try to talk to me about weird uncomfortable stuff, when I clearly was already stressed. Doesn't help that it was always dirty and smelly, and had bad music playing. :/

Disabilities Beware

Anyone identifying with a nonphysical disability please be aware that their medical accommodations are not guaranteed, nor necessarily up-to-par; I had to leave due to misrepresentation of available resources/management willingness... It was a shame because I liked my cowkers and the work most of the time...

Pros

Coworkers can be friendly (time & place/luck provided; no matter where you work)

Cons

Improperly accommodated... etc.

Its an ok place to start

When i started here it seemed like a great atmosphere. Then i started in the back being a sorter. You are supposed to rotate on tables so you don't get sore. That does not happen here. My health rapidly declined as you sort 800 plus pound carts. I got migraines and nose bleeds every day to the point my doctor told me to leave.

An ever-changing environment

Continually works with customers, providing fast, friendly and helpful service. Works beside other supervisors to direct and manage cashiers throughout the shift. Assists with accepting donations commonly during a shift. Handles customer questions and complaints. Manages team member productivity. Observes and tracks sales compared to monthly budgets. Learned to manage employee hours compared to hourly sales. Learned more about filling out and filing paperwork. Learned about scheduling. Receives direction from management throughout the day. Receives support from fellow supervisors; a lot of team work on high volume days; such as sale days and the Halloween season. Receiving donations alone for extended periods of time is physically draining. It is very difficult dealing with extreme heat and cold in summer and winter. There is a great variety of items put on the sales floor. Learning more about items provides product knowledge for customers. Also learning about the value of various vintage and antique items is great.

Pros

A vast variety of donated items

Cons

Good workplace setting, organized, clean store

Typical day: Working shift on cash, cleaning up change rooms, rolling clothing, sorting clothing, sweeping floors of items out of place. Organizing shoe displays I learned how to manage time well, and work on a team better. Management: A lot of people in charge of one company. I had 5 different supervisors each week. Can get confusing. Co workers: Nice for the most part. Got along with them well, some more motivated than others but were there to help out. Hardest part of the job: Busy day, having to work cash and clean change rooms while trying to roll clothing. Most enjoyable: Working cash, talking with customers and making their day a bit better.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Too many managers, confusion at times.

Productive and fun place to work in the book and media field

A typical day of work involves me cleaning up the book department from the previous day. Then going to the backroom and going through boxes of donated books and media. I then choose, grade and price the best quality items and place them in a large rolling cart. After a few hours I get the cart filled up. I then take the cart out on the floor to the books/media departement and place all the newest items on the sales floor. Then I repeat the process. In one day I will do this full process twice. Everyday I have to meet a certain quota of items to get out on the floor so I must move quickly.I learned a lot about working in a fast paced, team environment.The management is very good at maintaining every department and keeping everyone at their needed quotas.The co-workers at my job are very hard workers and make the place run like a well oiled machine. I work alone in the book department and take care of every aspect. Other departments work in teams because of the large amount of items they have to process on a daily basis.The hardest part of the job is trying to make sure I reach my quota everyday. Some days it is tougher when you don't get the right kind of items in from the donations.The most enjoyable part of the job for me is working in my favorite medium of books and media. I have extensive knowledge of music/movies so I am right at home with pricing and displaying certain items which I know and understand the value.

Pros

working in the media department (my specialty)

Cons

struggling to make quota when i don't get in sellable donations

Jobs at Value Village