Value Village
Savers/Value Village
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

Value Village Employee Reviews in Penticton, BC

I enjoyed my time at Value Village, as it was a fast pace work environment. The work environment was an enjoyable to work with. I learned a lot about the company while i worked there.
I had such a learning experience. Manager at Penticton Value Village is so fair and works right with the staff. Learned a lot about how Value Village gives back to communities.
Pros
Learning how the donations work.
Cons
LP rules
Supervisors and team members are really friendly, when I first work there. You also get 50% employee discount on clothes, can also get a benefits on medical and dental after 3 months, which is really great.
This is an American employer with poor standards for treatment of employees, Employees are assumed to be thieves and are expected to display personal property and bags each time they leave store to ensure they are not stealing property. Management to staff ratio on average shift is 1.5-1, staff must not talk or converse with one another and are monitored on video and called on infractions for any conversation deemed "socializing". Employees are not valued and as such there is a high volume of staff turn over. Neither Operations, nor Production staff are valued, and staff quit without notice at an average rate of 1 per week or higher. Management has a reputation in Penticton for poor treatment and rudeness to employees and employee discord is high. Advancement opportunity does not exist with 0% in-house advancement from staff to management. Employee favoritism is rampant and experience and expertise are not valued in adult or mature staff. Open door policy is not followed and complaints are not taken seriously. This company has a bad reputation as an employer for good reason, in my time working there, 8 staff left in a three month period, both in Operations and Production, myself included. I have never worked for such poor employer with such rude, overbearing and aggressive management. Expectation of working with dirty, smelly used clothing and other items required. Cashiers are expected to clean toilets and on every shift, there is no janitorial staff and the store is filthy and disgusting. Minimum wage is not worth the hours, nor the workload expected, this is a poor place - more...
Pros
None, 50% discount on purchases but none permitted until item has been on floor for 3 days
Cons
No purchases until items displayed 3 days, so items are never available for purchase, no cash returns, Customers valued far more than staff
Lots of heavy lifting, dusty place, fast pace... I worked in different areas in production and learned every thing about different products to the price point that the company was looking for.... Management was great to work with in the beginning, but then they had a lot of turn over in management and it got a little mess up on what each manger wanted. Workplace culture was great easy going and hard working team members... Really happy to be part of the team... The hardest part of the job was seeing great workers move on... The most enjoyable part was the fast pace and busy day, Loved learning about new products and their price points... They also have great health benefits for full time staff.
Pros
Great health benefits
Staff is treated unfairly, Management has no idea what they are doing. overall it is a negative place to work, staff are unhappy and not looking to make friends with new people. Managers are open about the fact they don't even want to be there. not good for staff moral
They make it sound wonderful like you will get everything they offer. Not even close. Every store in the OK valley is basically the same. Store managers lie and treat staff like slaves.
Cons
Overall I really enjoy working for Savers. I've learned alot during my 3years, and the hours are amazing. My co-workers are my life and have helped me grow. Management on the other side have been a bit of a struggle, don't get me wrong, they're great at their job, but do not treat myself and the other workers with the respect that we deserve as hard, powerful workers. A typical day at work is full of laughter.
Pros
hours
Cons
management
Most days start with doing all cash functions for previous days sales. This would be one of the first things learned in training. Continual and ongoing training for cashiers and supervisor on a hands on style every day. I had an awesome team who picked up on required programs with a minimum of difficulty. Store management focus tended to be on the production room and as a consequence we did not interact as much as I would have preferred. The most difficult part of this position was finding people who were interested in working for us. The most enjoyable part was seeing the results of training team members and the privilege of promoting from within.
Typical day -Accepting donation's and helping customers. - I Learned little to nothing at the job but the procedures. - Management was constantly in a mess when I was employed there, they kept messing up the schedules & - My co-workers were friendly and helpful the entire time I was there - Hardest part of my job was dealing with management. - I enjoyed the stacking of the donations and greeting, talking with the customers who donated.
Pros
Bonus on check, free lucnhes sometimes, 30/50% off in store items.
Cons
Messy Management, Can't purchase anything on a sale day.