Savers/Value Village Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

Found 37 reviews matching the search See all 2,171 reviews
Fun and busy workplace
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 August 2019
Met a bunch of great people and had plenty of fun at the work place. Super busy which makes the time fly by. Helpful team, and management, and plenty of encouragement. Feeling of accomplishment after a full day of work.
Awlful place to work
Donation drop off (Former Employee) –  Barhaven,Ottawa23 April 2019
I worked here......worse management I have ever seen.....unless you are desperate for a job....don't waste your time here....you will see lots of new faces....no future here believe me.....you deserve better.
Pros
Cons
Awlful
Challenging
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 January 2019
Could be difficult to achieve all the goals set by management, there was little to no communication between ops and production, turnover was unbelievable
Questionable job, fantastic people - at least at the store where i was at
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 December 2018
I have personally learned how to be a productive employee and individual and grew as a person over my long service to Value Village. The work culture is at times clique-y but depending on your department is very welcoming.
Productive and hard working place to work
CDC - Community Donation Centre Rep (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 November 2018
Company pushes all employees too hard and expects all work to be done with minimal staffing, I did enjoy working with the public and helping out customers.
Pros
Good manager of department very understanding
Cons
No recognition of good work other people taking the credit
Friendly team members, good working environment
Operations Team Member and Designated Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2018
Typical retail position. Selected operations team members are extremely friendly, often diverse, and delightful to work with for the vast majority of the time.
Pros
Flexible hours, competitive rates, paid vacation
Cons
I don’t know it’s retail
I worked at Value village over 5 years
PRODUCTION TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 September 2018
Value Village is a good company to work for if you are a student or retired. the culture of the company isn't the greatest and the safety standards are very bad.
productive and fun workplace with table tenis
Team Member (Customer Care Provider) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 September 2018
i acquired more patience . the management is super supportive and friendly. the most enjoyable part of the job is when you finish a call with a happy customer.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Fun and great learning opportunity
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2018
I learned a lot in just the few months I worked, made great strong connections, the discounts are incredible and the people I worked with were really helpful and encouraging. Did a co-op here as well and I learned so much about myself and the company
Great Co workers
Grader, Tag/Racker, Roller (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 August 2018
I loved the family like team while working with Savers
They always had my back. Supervisors always tried to encourage us and stood up for us as needed.
Okay for part time.
Head Cashier/Opening Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 September 2017
Management is unorganized and standards and practices change all the time. If you get a good manager you are lucky, but at the end of the day it is a corporation driven by money and sales. It is also very unhealthy breathing in the air from value village as they dont have their air and ventilation checked or cleaned and they deal with lots of dirt, debris and dust that end up in the air and you work , breathe and sweat in it.
Pros
willing to work around students schedule
Cons
long hours standing, repetitive work, unorganized management, health concerns
Mental health killer.
Production (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2017
Always changing things. If things are going good, there will definitely be changes to make sure everyone is miserable and don't want to show up for work. Everyone dreads going there every day but we need the money to survive. And the music they play is just depressing and kills people's spirits instead of motivating us to work hard. It'll make you want to curl up in a ball and cry or sleep instead of work. The majority of employees who have mental health issues (which is a lot), have admitted that this job and it's management has contributed greatly in making their situation worse.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
Everything.
Productive and adaptive workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2017
Management and team members are very easy to get along with. Everyone is very accepting which makes it easy to adapt to the workplace environment. Flexible hours.
Potential For Greatness
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
Toxic work environment when it comes to management. Team members get a lot of the blame for not hitting sales targets. No room for advancement. Has the potential to do really great things within the community but the company is becoming more and more profit based and forgetting about the community that allows VV to be successful.
Value Village
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 December 2016
This was my first job and I had wonderful time when i first started. Halloween is a lot of fun and everyone is trying to have fun and dress up. Some customers make it horrible and then some are amazing and really care about the workers. Management was very poor at one point and it was a mess with schedules. it got better once new management began.
A difficult yet enjoyable environment
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2016
Answering my fellow co worker's cries to assist with what they need while they work on the production line.

How to operate a forklift, safety regulations, a compactor, a fly jack.

Not that great, poor response time with issues.

Very friendly, almost like family actually.

The pressure of a ridiculously high quota to be met every day.

A fast paced job, a complete opposite of a desk job.
Meh
Recycler (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 September 2016
It's an okay place to work if you NEED the job. Besides having full time hours of 7:30-4 and monday-friday it's not very enjoyable. Pay scale is too low for the expected work. Hazards all around the warehouse, and it's a very unsafe work environment in general. Management doesn't care for your safety or well being, they just want you to make quota. Lots of drama within the workplace which all leads back to management putting lots of stress on everyone to work harder. Best part of the day is at 4 o'clock when I get to leave, lol. What I learned from working at Value village is that I have lots of patience, and that's something you need if you work there.
Pros
Fun with coworkers, full time work
Cons
Bad management, Low pay, High stress work environment, Lack of training
Good coworkers, good cause.
Recycler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 August 2016
The people I worked with were friendly and outgoing. The management team listened when we brought things to their attention.
Pros
non profit company, charitable.
Cons
difficult to move up the ladder.
very busy for summer time
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 August 2016
Good environment, the super manager and great colleagues, good conditions to work, perfect schedule, perfect job for students.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
hard work
Not a Place for Good People
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2015
It starts off as a great place to work. There are quarterly bonuses, lots of staff lunches, breaks every two hours. The first two or three weeks will seem great until management decides if they like you or not. To be good with management you are required to bully other staff members, and kiss managements butts. The store manager at my location was the worst person I have ever met in my life. She allowed not only favouritism, but work place bullying. It soon became a hostile environment for many employees, and the turn over was outrageous. It got to the point that they could not find anyone that wanted to work there, so the employees they did have, were required to work extra quick to make up for the lack of staff. If you are a person with morals or good nature, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Bonus' and Free Lunches
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savers/Value Village. Our community is ready to answer.