Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

A typical day at work is hard.A lot of work you need to do in short time, and lack of employees.The supervisor is always in bad mood.High employee turnover.
Everyone hates working there, which makes you hate being there. A lot of people slack off, so if you are a hard worker, you end up having to pick up other people's jobs. People call in sick almost every shift and puts everyone in a bad position and mood
This company is into promoting employees from within. Consideration of achievement is compensated by way salary ,bonus and written comments. They are extremely involved in their community and assist local non profit communities.
I learned how the company receives donated items from the community and sells it for a cheaper price. I also enjoyed the discount I received to purchase some of the stores items.
If you want fulfilling work, run! Keep running until you run out of the will to live, pass out and wake up in an alley. You'll have better chances there. If your looking for part time mindless garbage, than this may just be right for you! Management needs a face lift Policies are pick and choose Racism and sexism flourish Prepare to be taken advantage of. Management at this institution will take full advantage of the hard work ethic of immigrants and dispose of them like cards. Value village is a business of predators and prey. Don't fall victim to them!
I cant describe a typical day because mine were never the same day to day. I received minimal training. They only trained me on the floor for 1 4 hour shift. No training at all on how to deal with customers. There was a major lack of communication supervisor to supervisor and supervisor to employee. Countless times i missed a break because i was not informed (front of house does not have set break times). I was unable to plan anything more than a few days in advance because our weekly schedules came out the day before the 'week' started. 90% of the time i only had 2 shifts a week (that's 2 4 hour shifts). They had a policy where an employee could not close the store and open it the next day, I had to do that on more than one occasion. In the fitting rooms it was expected to be clean and tidy. i agree with that, But there is only 1 employee and 50 customers waiting in line, and only 5 rooms. Customers are expecting fast service and don't enjoy being told that you have to clean 3 changing rooms before they can get in one. The managers were informed that I moved and public transport started at a certain time and i was scheduled to start before i could have gotten there. They say they care but they really don't. They say they will do everything they can to make it easier to work for them but they don't. I ended up getting sick after Christmas and missed 1 day more than the allowed 10 days sick. I was fired (Since I left I have been told that they had to hire 3 people to do the work that I was doing on my own.) Bottom line is.....Value Village does not care about its employees. - more...
Value village was a great place to work. Customers and workers were very friendly. I learned a lot,I seen a lot of very interesting cool donations. It was a busy store.
I have worked both as a production team member and a operation team member. The production team works full time hours to accept around 7,000 pounds of donations per day (varies by location), evaluates each item by quality and condition, and merchandise it on the sales floor. This work is strenuous and the environment is very dusty. I do not recommend this job for people with preexisting injuries or breathing issue. Meanwhile, the Operations team focuses on maintaining store front cleanliness, operating cash registers, attending to fitting rooms, and overall customer service. The team members, regardless of whether you work in the front or the back, are the best kind of people; they are a fun, caring, hardworking group with which you will form life lasting bonds with. even on the difficult days, having this team of people by your side makes it bearable. However, there is very poor communication between managers and the team, and even between themselves. This has lead to improper training of new employees, customers missing out on promotional deals, safety concerns, and scheduling errors.
Working there was enjoyable for the most part. Its fast paced and good hours. You get to see a lot of interesting things. Overall it was a neat place to work.
Value village is a great place. Good to start out. The customers can be weird but hey, that's to be expected. Will definitely come out of this job with some funny stories.
The people working at value village are fantastic. The overall management however is not the greatest. Be weary if you speak a language other than English, they do not like when you speak your native language either on the floor away from customers or even on your break time.
Met a bunch of great people and had plenty of fun at the work place. Super busy which makes the time fly by. Helpful team, and management, and plenty of encouragement. Feeling of accomplishment after a full day of work.
Awful management. My location jumped between 3 different store managers in the year and few months that I worked there. Hard work is NEVER recognized. Worked myself to the point of exhaustion without receiving a simple 'thank you". Management will hang promotions over your head and never fall through with them. Was regularly told I was not doing a good enough job. Scheduling was a nightmare. As a full-time employee I was only receiving about 30 hours a week. Later found out that management was talking about me behind my back after I complained about not having enough hours.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Long shifts, always on your feet, awful managment
I worked here......worse management I have ever seen.....unless you are desperate for a job....don't waste your time here....you will see lots of new faces....no future here believe me.....you deserve better.
Pros
Cons
Awlful
While the staff has been accommodating to my needs, there are several aspects of management that make it a difficult place to work in. The management is very strict in their ways, afraid of change and the ideas of team members who are below them in the Savers hierarchy. Many workers dread coming in for their shifts everyday.
Pros
Great discount (50% off), Two weeks notification for time off, great customers
Cons
Limited staff, Dirty and dusty, Disrespectful managers and policies for reporting issues within the store.
Could be difficult to achieve all the goals set by management, there was little to no communication between ops and production, turnover was unbelievable
I have personally learned how to be a productive employee and individual and grew as a person over my long service to Value Village. The work culture is at times clique-y but depending on your department is very welcoming.
Company pushes all employees too hard and expects all work to be done with minimal staffing, I did enjoy working with the public and helping out customers.
Pros
Good manager of department very understanding
Cons
No recognition of good work other people taking the credit
Typical retail position. Selected operations team members are extremely friendly, often diverse, and delightful to work with for the vast majority of the time.
Pros
Flexible hours, competitive rates, paid vacation
Cons
I don’t know it’s retail
So much gossiping,from staff and management. Management and supervisors are extremely disrespectful It's all about working you to the bone Never work here
Pros
Benefits, fulltime
Cons
Everything else
Value Village is a good company to work for if you are a student or retired. the culture of the company isn't the greatest and the safety standards are very bad.