Value Village logo

Value Village Employee Reviews in Oshawa, ON

Oshawa, ON13 reviews

Found 13 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,733 reviews

Can't complain too much

Honestly, its not a difficult job, there are lots of friendly workers at the village as well as friendly enough customers. Its a good starter job for people

Great team of people to work with

been working with the company for 5 years got a promotion and was treated equally to others would recommend to others in the future. Also good location.

Avoid at all costs

Worked here for a year, management was horrible, standing over you, timing you, every action has to take less than 10 secs or you're fired. You're better off anywhere else.

Pros

Good discount on products that have been on the shelves for over a week

I hated that job

Working at the value village in Oshawa was the worst job experience I have ever had. The environment was unfriendly, the managers were horrible and they don't care about the safety of their staff. I would not recommend anyone work there.

Pros

You get paid

Cons

Long hours, always mesy, mean staff

Decent job with awful management.

The employees are great, but management does not accommodate their employees, and uses negative reinforcement. Customers are also an issue, more often than not they do not listen to what people tell them.

Cons

In-consistent hours, awful management

good for a beginner job

working at value village is quite fun. you get good hours and its never a slow environment you would always be on your feet moving at a fast pace especially around Halloween and Christmas time.

Environmental friendlybecause of items being re-used.

A typical day is trying to get used to different customers and their moods. Great place to shop for very unique bargains. The hardest part of the job is smiling when customers are rude and abnoxious. The great part is knowing that reducing waste helps the environment.

Pros

Discount

Cons

No benefits as a part-timer

Not a good place at all

Your only there to make management look good, you mean nothing to the company and your opinion means even less then that. They hold you back so that you can't move up in the company and put down any and all work that you do. It has been the most unhappiest place I've ever been employed

Pros

Meet lots of different people

Cons

Bad management, hours that stop you from having any type of personal life

Nice benefits, hard work

If you are planning to apply, take this into consideration; having worked in both areas of a store, I recommend the front end of the store. Of course, working with the public can be hard and stressful, it's nothing compared to working in the back area. Depending on the location and the management, you have to prepare yourself for high performance and meeting set quotas each day. You do get some information on how items are priced before they reach the sales floor. And see some of the 'garbage' that people donate. Many of the others you work with can be very friendly. It can be a fun place to work, but be careful of what you say. One of the great benefits is getting discounts on the items you buy. But you have to wait 48 hours after it hits the sales floor before you are able to consider buying it. The customers get first choice and pick. I would consider myself lucky if an item I wanted to buy was still there after the 2 day waiting period.

Pros

discounts on merchandise

Cons

language barriers, 'I rate' customers

Fun work environment

Working in Value Village was always an amusing time. From the amazing co-workers to the costumers. There was always a great friend ship.

Jobs at Value Village

in Oshawa, ON
See more jobs

Decent business and great deals for all types of people

Good place to work and shop, just at specific locations management can use a little work and that goes for employees also. I did learn a lot and very appreciative for the experience, just wasn't really for me

Productive and Fun workplace

I definitely enjoyed working at Value Village, my managers were very accommodating when it came to my school schedule and booking time off. My coworkers were very helpful when I first started working there. I enjoyed being part of a team where we really worked together and helped each other out. Overall my experience was a great one and if I were to go back I would hope for a similar experience.

Amazing coworkers and unique customers

A typical day at work consisted of helping numerous unique individuals find their perfect Halloween costume, either by selling them on one already complete costume, or helping them build their own with items found around the store. I also dealt with handling back stock (refilling shelves as items were sold) and GR's (garment returns).

Pros

very fun and creative, joyous to watch the excitement of costumers when they found the perfect item

Cons

sometimes the Halloween shop would be completely empty of customers, and we were not allowed to leave to shop, therefore it would get boring, and I felt unproductive.

2.9Job security/advancement