Value Village
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Value Village Employee Reviews in Oakville, ON

Found 13 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,772 reviews

Good high school part time gig - full timers stay away.

Working at Value Village ain’t bad at all if you’re up front and you have a good working relationship between yourself and supervisors who are there to help whenever needed. CDC is a nightmare that continues to get worse. The CDC work is undervalued, underpaid, and the supervisors and store managers that are active in the back of the store prance around and nitpick at things as you’re trying to do your job. The work is difficult, and frankily, for minimum wage pay - its not worth it at all. If you’re at the front things are hunky dory but if you’re thinking about applying, make sure the square meters between you and the cdc department are in the hundreds.

Pros

Front end management is excellent, Front end work not difficult and the team members are quite nice.

Cons

CDC is a hellish nightmare

productive and helpful

I worked at this place for about 2 years. It was a very good experience. Very helpful managers. Good second hand store especially for low income people.

Productive and fun workplace

I am doing General Recovery of go back items, sometime fitting room clothes recovery and Cashier on Cash counters. It is overall a good experience working in this company.

bad management

managers don't care much for the employees, the pay is not worth the amount of work you do and most customers are rude. training process takes a whole week where you watch boring videos.

Pros

pizza on sale days

Cons

BAD management

Fun workplace, great management.

Value village provided an amazing work opportunity. The management and staff were welcoming and professional. Management kept the staff well organized which led to a clean store and an easygoing​environment

Pros

Free pizza on sale days

Great company ! Current Manger is archaic in management style and does not value his managemet team

I have worked for this company for six years and have now been transferred and at my new location for almost a year do to a lateral move withing the company . I have not enjoyed working for my current store manager . His management style of micro managing and old school technique of negative reinforcement creates a highly stressful atmosphere .

Pros

bonus opportunities

Cons

extreme micro managing

Great work environment with excellent management staff

Every work day is usually exceptionally positive thanks to the welcoming staff and wonderful regulars. You learn a lot about money handling and the hard work that comes with some retail establishments but most importantly, people and customer service. The management team are great and always have your best interests at mind. They're understanding and very motivating. The culture overall is laid back but everyone works at their best pace to make sure the job gets done. The hardest part of the job would be time management, focus and awareness at all times. You're always on the go the whole day so you need to maintain those skills at all times to make sure your performing to the best of your ability. The most enjoyable part of my job though is getting the first look at all the treasurers that come through our store and making great friends with the people I work with and how they make my day easy with their positive vibes.

Pros

Lots of free food

Cons

lots of standing and physical labor

Easy enough job with bad management culture.

Great job with good benefits and opportunities for bonuses. However, they will give the maximum hours possible without giving full time. In addition, after taking initiative to complete a number of tasks as needed, I became the go-to person for these (unpleasant) tasks, despite being more qualified than others for the regular job and expressing my dissatisfaction with this practice.

Productive and fun workplace.

Greeted customers in a friendly manner and assisted them with services, I was taught how to process transactions using cash register. When I needed some assistance from management they were close by. I enjoyed working with my co-workers which made my day even more enjoyable to go to work each and everyday! I can't recall a hard part about the job that I did.

Pros

Staff contests ie) wearing Halloween costumes new/old to promote sales.

Cons

Working late especially in the winter months.

A fast paced environment with plenty of opportunities to grow.

A typical day at work on a weekday (Monday through Friday shifts) would involve asking management about any impending deliveries for the day from the C.D.A. (Canadian Diabetes Association) and the quota of what still needs to be unloaded from the truck delivery for the day. When the truck arrives I am expected to get someone to take over my duties at the Donation Center door by informing the manager on duty of the arrival of the truck. Once that is done I am expected to take the quota off of the truck and weigh the donations on a large cart to determine if we have met or exceeded the quota for the day. Once that is complete I return to my regular duties of servicing customers who come directly to the store by unloading their vehicles of furniture and donations of all varieties in addition to informing them about the nature of the store's partnership with the CDA as well as upcoming events and promotions occurring in the store such as upcoming sale days at the front end of the store. I worked by myself on weekdays unless the workload exceeded my capabilities such as a couch needed to be unloaded from a delivery truck at which point I would need to communicate to a manager I am in need of assistance and they would send me a retail sales worker from the front end to help me to accomplish the task in question. On weekends I worked alongside 1-2 other workers who held the same position as I do and would service customers and the front end of the store equally, but the frequency of customers coming to the donation center and the volume of donations would be much higher -

Pros

50% off discount on clothing and 30% off of furniture and electronics.

Cons

Strong contrasts in regards to workload (slow nights with nothing to do, other nights there would be so much to do you would not know where to start.)

Jobs at Value Village