Value Village logo
Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in Kitchener, ON

Found 23 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,733 reviews

positive work place

Value Village is a positive fast-paced workplace with good team members and work culture. The working hours are very convenient for me and the benefits that I get as an employee are appreciable.

Horrible place to work - you will hate your life

Value Village on Ottawa Street is a horrible place to work. Management does not care about the well-being or safety of their employees. Staff are overworked for minimum wage. The store manager only cares about money. She consistently blamed young woman for comments male customers would make towards them when they uncomfortable. Nor did she care about the safety of her staff during a pandemic.Overall, stay away.

poor management

poor management lead to unfortunate struggles and unfair treatment of student-employees, would not recommend the location i worked at. They genuinely did not care for me as an employee, even while dealing with the death of 2 friends, i was judged and ridiculed for asking for time off, with notice.

Production Worker

The store I was at wasn't in it for the employees, we were expected to meet quotas, and if you were fortunate enough to be able to keep up, or help someone that was falling behind, that now became part of your new daily job duty. Everyone had a " that's not my job." mentality. Too many people thinking they are special and deserve preferential treatment at the expense of other employees whom were promptly terminated, unless you got preferential treatment from management.

First Job

This was my very first job and they really take the time to train you properly. It was a fun environment and very accepting. I would recommenced it to lots of people to work there.

Fun

It was a fun place to work and very understanding place to work as well.

Dont work there unles your desperate for a job

Lots of disgusting donations. I.e. clothing donations that were moldy,heavy smokers clothes, covered in large amouns of pet fur or grass, urine smell (sometimes still wet) either from cats or humans. Had bed bugs in donations once. Nasty old shoes. Nasty yellow sweat stained clothes. Bad manegment. Most coworkers were terrible to work with. A number of "customers" went for the 100% discount. Having to work outside a lot during winter as a recycler at a certain store because of no loading dock.

Pros

A few good customers. They had ok benefits.

Cons

A lot of bad customers. Most of the review = cons. Minimum wage.

Awesome Management

Management gave me the opportunity to work in production and operations when I requested to learn new skills. Although advancement is limited if you're not interested in becoming a manager, the job itself comes with a great team that felt like friends. Coming to work here was enjoyable at best and honestly not that bad on difficult days. Work environment can be fairly gossipy and there isn't yet.n effective way of dealing with shoplifters. Overall I would highly recommend working here. Management treats employees well and brings in treats on busy days or celebrations. I felt like part of a team here. A great job overall.

Pros

Great management

Cons

Limited ability to grow new skills

Awesome atmosphere

Over all great environment to work in, co-workers are amazing. Everyone is super helpful with new hires and ensuring that they know what to do and when to do it. Management leaves much to be desired. Distinct lack of communication between management and between management and employees. Hardest part of the job is lack of security, scheduled hours fluctuate with little or no notice and scheduled hours are not guaranteed. Front end is strictly part time, and you are frequently (daily) sent home early.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Constantly sent home early

Poor work environment with little room to expand

My time at Value Village was met with a poor work environment and little room to expand. I found there to be little support for employees and no benefits. This organization also refuses to give references.

Jobs at Value Village

in Kitchener, ON
See more jobs

productive

When i was hired the store was not opened yet. We set up all the displays and trained for production side of job. I trained for all the positions i was allowed to do. then i trained for the operation side of the store ,which is cashiers.. I was employee of the quarter four times in a row..Then I started training new staff that came in because I knew all positions..

Pros

they gave incentives and profit sharing

Cons

no promotion

Management was not respectful of student employees

The management at Value Village were not receptive to the fact that employees, especially student employees, had other demands on their time. Employees were expected to live and breathe the company, even when they were part-time and minimum wage. Frequently yearly reviews were put off many months in order to avoid having to give an employee a raise.

Pros

Discount on products

It's a satisfactory student job

The job itself is good, and it is sufficient for a student. I'm looking for something that is more engaging and something that pays more, and am definitely willing to work hard.

Bad management

The main floor manager made life at work very uncomfortable and uneasy. The other managers were kind and helpful though.

Pros

Cheap clothes

Cons

Bad salary

loved working there

i loved working there the staff where friendly and always whiling to help when you need it the management where awesome i loved working with them

Easy job, and enjoying it

I have no real complaints other than false promises made by management. Asked to learn something different within, said that they'll train me but never did. They are very flexible with scheduling around my hours which is greatly appreciated.

Pros

Supportive management

Cons

False promises

Worst job EVER

Horrible place to work. If i could i would rate negative stars. Store manager is a b!tch that doesn't care about anything unless it benifits her. Puts so much pressure on the supervisors therefore supervisors go hard on staff. Every employee there is miserable and all looking for a new job. They claim to promote within. But that's bullsh!t. I witnessed it happen to coworkers. Best thing I did was leave that helľ whole.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Everything else

Fun Place To Work

Typical day to day at Savers I would organize the store floor for customer use after we opened. We would sort everything into colour block and where the item belonged in categories (towels, blankets, etc), then I would help in the back until I went home at 11 as I worked part time. Working at Savers was pretty awesome, other than the incredibly long bus ride to and from work and after a while it felt like my work was a waste of time. We would clean the store and not two hours later customers would come in a destroy it. Not a place to work if you don't like getting your hands dirty. It's not uncommon to open up bags of garbage in the bag while sorting through donated things. My co-workers and managers were always really nice but in the end I ended up quitting because of finding something closer to home as the Value Village I worked at was way out of my way.

Pros

Fun workplace and co-workers, relatively simple work

Cons

Felt like work was waste of time sometimes, was too far from my home personally

Great company

Typical work day in a production setting, from receiving trucks to removing of garbage, managers are open to suggestions, and like others opinions

Pros

respect from other workers

Cons

lack of advancement

Value Village

at value village the mangement staff hides upstairs and doesnt follow proper protocall. they let underage people use equipment such as bailers without proper protection on.

Pros

free lunches sometimes.

Cons

rude management

It is not as chaotic as you would think.

Value Village was a chance to manage a large crew and drive performance standards through strict goal setting and follow up. There is a large responsibility to our customers and to our charitable partners to provide the best quality thrift merchandise at the best value. It was a job i took a great deal of pride in. I managed a great crew of people who were committed to that same vision.

Pros

great crew of team members, great salary, discounts

Cons

can get a little messy at times

2.9Job security/advancement