Value Village
Savers/Value Village
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Value Village Employee Reviews in Kelowna, BC

If you dont mind working with recycled items and getting a bit dirty then its a great place to work. Management is fun they have a lot of theme days so fun atmosphere.
Pros
They have social distancing in place.
Cons
Can get dirty at times and daily hrs can be shortend at anytime.
in the begining was a great place to work for. very quickly you become just another employee like just a number and managemeng begins to overwork you as well as expect pretty well everything you can imagine from you with no raise in pay nor any type of recognition whatsover
Cons
long long hours, very repetitive and unfulfilling workplace
I work in the Production area and adore it. Yes, it's dirty, it smells more often than not and you have to work fast to meet the days quotas but it's work that you don't have to take home with you and everyone who works there is wonderful (but only after you look like you're there to stay). Naturally there are days when you question why you're there; sometimes the workload is impossible to keep up with but if it doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. You can catch up. Management are lovely as long as you do your job, meet your numbers (or it's clear you are at least trying) and don't cause too much trouble.
Pros
Work stays at work
Cons
The hours and work feel like they don't match the pay :(
Do not work here unless you can put up with an ungodly amount of stress and suffering. The workers are all hollow with misery and the customers treat you almost as badly as the management. They don’t train you fully then later you get into trouble time after time because you barely know anything. I worked there for a year and I was still given heck for “messing up” when I was just doing my best. Most of my coworkers said I was one of the best employees because I was always working hard with a smile despite management being awful, but it was never enough for them. I even got cheated out of overtime multiple times and did not do anything about it because I was scared of my bosses. Don’t work here. It’s a well known abyss of misery to work at in my town. I quit with many other people when we found out that management that was supposed to be reprimanded for ignoring/abusing store policy was promoted.
Pros
Cons
Long hours with never ending misery
Very interactive place to work Meeting a lot of people from the community Typical day was getting the floor ready every morning before opening Really enjoyed
Fired me for having anxiety and even had a doctor diagnose me with it. I was also told by multiple coworkers they hated it there but only stayed because of the hours and because they couldn’t find another job
Mass walkouts, treating staff like garbage by yelling at them calling them idiots. Forcing staff to listen to music from disney movies, raises the quotas higher then actual quota then taking no responsibility while their production falls apart. Long term an hard work mean nothing to them they have been bribing people to stay with vacations, positions, and raises. No regard for personal safety as they are on the last strike before getting fined by their own company. Manager an management rarely deals with issues, or keeps you outta the loop with important information.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low job satisfaction
Manager would not make eye contact, unsafe work conditions, was not provided steel toes as promised nor was I given other PPE. They treat you like you will leave because of the high turn-over rate which is unprofessional and counter productive. Did not feel valued for my hard work. Also was not paid on time! Go figure. DO NOT WORK HERE.
great company and great people at the store i worked with. there are so many different areas to work in with these stores so there is something for everyone as well as tons of areas for advacement. pay was fair and management was always professional.
typical fast paced working environment. lotsa good looking chicks mostly woman except the 5 recyclers they were males including me very good team 30 people in a medium warehouse sorting tables bailers for clothing and a lot more
Pros
free lucnhes coffeee breaks
Cons
7 till 4 the shifts were long and sometimes had to work sat or sun for stat
the worst company i have ever worked for. no communication, poor management, it was like working in a sweat shop. i only stayed there for two years because it was close to where i lived at the time and i had made a few friends while working there.
Pros
amazing benefits
Cons
everything else
This is a fun place to work. Management are great. They help you as much as they can to make a better work enviroment for you Good benifits. Just the wage is to low for me. Wish i could stay. Just cant afford too
If you like doing the exact same thing every single day and being treated like a robot that expected to do more and better then what you are capable of, then this is the job for you. But if you want advancement, acknowledgment for good work, pay raises regularly, then choose a different job.
Great workplace for students, although they expect their workers to work crazy hours while in school. Management is good, and learned lots of valuable skills.
Pros
great people
Cons
working days you don't want to work
Was hard satisfying work, Mostly enjoyable co-workers. Management was shoddy and overly demanding. I learned not to trust management in this company. I did enjoy the work I was doing. Finding treasures can be fun and rewarding
Pros
Decent hours...enjoyable co-workers
Cons
Shoddily managed
It was good, management was tough at times but tried to make it better, not always with success. Better management communication and it might have been better Worked hours from 5 am to 11 pm, and they moved the hours to fit the NEED for something, instead of properly managing the hours to get it done properly with the in the right time frame.+
Pros
discount
Cons
hours
Likes me gossip about the employees and likes to keep people on their toes by giving clopening shifts. Pretends to listen to employee complaints then goes and talks negatively behind your back.
Benefits
Cons
Terrible hours and availability requirements
- Hard work bordering on overwork - I learned to work hard in a supervisorial position with no additional pay or authority so those under me didn't have to actually listen to what I said also for low pay - Friendly but only slightly helpful - Everyone worked hard and was usually focused on leaving or various charities - Continuing going to work - Going home and getting paid
Pros
big on commuinity projects and charities
Cons
long hours, hard physical work, chronically understaffed
Typical day at work: Depended on what department I was working in. Could range from maintaining floor cleanliness, covering supervisor breaks and customer service to processing donated materials and recycling/discarding those that could not be sold in the store. As a more senior member, I was given the opportunity to work in most departments. Management was of varying skill levels. Overall, they were usually efficient enough to maintain store order, but wouldn't necessarily ask for the same work out of everyone. The store manager was blunt, but efficient. Never had any issues with him. During my last six months at the store, there were a shortage of supervisors, so on weekends, I would end up helping them out given I was their most senior cashier on those days. Co-workers were nice overall. Hardest part of the job were days when short-staffing would occur, and higher expectations were placed on more senior members such as I to pull more than our own weight while others did little. Most enjoyable part of the job was pricing donated goods myself and so being able to immediately notice my impact on store income, and minor opportunities to run the floor or to help run it.
Pros
Diverse tasks, built a great work ethic.
Cons
Differing treatment of employees, short-staffing, very high staff turnover
A typical day at work would have been helping customers, hanging clothes, having friendly conversations, and ringing people up on the cash register. While working at Value Village I learned how to properly use cash registers, how to work well with my fellow team members to get a job finished to the best of its abilities. Every employee in the establishment had a very kind and positive outlook on the store, there were never any issues.The hardest part of the job, however, would have to be dealing with shoplifters and a few choice angry customers. My favorite part about the job I had was that I could work with people and converse with them. I truly enjoy getting along with my fellow team members and customers.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Not enough hours
Good management. Respectful co-workers. Typical day is primarily spent at Register, doing general clean-up and helping rollout merchandise.
Pros
Productive Environment, Respectful/Good management
Cons
Low salary