Value Village logo

Value Village Employee Reviews in Hamilton, ON

Work-life balance

Found 35 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,715 reviews

fast passed

working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.

Absolutely the worst job I've ever had

If I could give less than one star for management and the actual job, I would. Just like the other comments management doesn't care about you as a person, they care about their numbers and money. For example: I had a drs note to take time (1week) off due to an illness; once the week was up I got a call and was advised that it would be smart to come back to work. Basically telling me that if I didnt come back that my job might not be safe... Also, If you ever work here be prepared to get written up for the stupidest things. I posted a post on my personal private Facebook account; 2 hrs after posting I get paged up to the office. Turns out a coworker showed my boss the post and I got written up for "talking ill about the company". My Facebook never stated where I worked, and I didn't tag the company. It was just an absolute stupid reason to get written up. The only thing I enjoyed about working here was my coworkers and working during October because that's the only time you get to have fun since we used to be able to dress up everyday. If you want to work here, I recommend asking to work in CDC or as a Cashier. Do not work in Production under any circumstances. THIS COMPANY IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST THAT I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!!

Pros

Discount and coworkers.

Cons

Management, poor salary, poor working conditions

Management is useless

Management is awful. They don't care about how you feel. I was hired and only told after I started it was part time. I never applied for part time. I applied for full time. They told me they don't hire full time which is a lie. Would never recommend this company to anyone, ever.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Management, everything.

Sweatshop mentality

Dont do it unless you want to be treated like a number. Min wage with factory quota expectations. Virtually a sweatshop. They utilize the recycling and charity model but it's all about profit profit profit.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Great place to develop your management skills

Value Village is a great place to work if you are someone who is patient and values learning skills over a high starting salary. There is a lot of opportunity for growth in the company, and if you are okay with investing your time it absolutely does pay off. They truly do invest in their employees as long as you give the same level of investment. They take the time to develop strong leaders and do not define you by any missteps you make, in fact it is encouraged for your growth. You gain retail, warehouse, accounting, and production management skills with this company which is so unique and valuable in my opinion. Commitment, patience, and resilience are the keys in being successful with this company.

Overall it was a very productive job there was always something to do but management was very messy and many employees felt like they weren't secure or safe and many of us felt threatened overall would not recommend working for this company!!!!!

Disrespectful management, poorly run, hourly employees can never catch up

It's impossible for hourly workers to catch up on tasks because the place is constantly understaffed and poorly managed. Employees are routinely pulled away from their primary tasks to work in other areas of the store due to understaffing and call-ins, so primary tasks don't get done. The place is a mess. Sales manager doesn't listen. High turnover for a reason. Work here if you want to be amused by how terribly managed a store can be.

Management sucks

There have been countless times that management has screwed over their staff. Whether it’s cutting hours, or writing you up for being late by 1 minute or sick for a day, they are right there to make your life miserable. The life will be sucked from you if you start working here.

Managment was terrible

Co workers were amazing to work with. Management lacked empathy and proper communication amongst employees and other managers. Felt like all they care about is making quota not their employees.

Negative environment

Don’t do it! Management only cares about numbers, never consistent, minimum wage job for a lot of work and being pushed to your limits. Employees are blamed for low sales and for the quality of items donated. During training you’re told you get quarterly bonuses but not told only if sales are really high.

Pros

Monday-Friday

Cons

Management and blame game.

Jobs at Value Village

in Hamilton, ON
See more jobs

fun, low expectations

good people to work with, salaries are not high not even in management. the work culture is fun and employees tend to be close. hardest part of the job is the customers

Terrible place to work.... don’t recommend it to anyone

minimum wage,very hard work, no vacation for 1 year, rules changes as they choose, favortisim with staff, no compassion, understanding ... OVERPRICED!!

Pros

50% discount, medical benefits, no weekends

Cons

Very physically demanding, poor work conditions, terrible management

sales associate

General cleanup such as hanging clothes, organizing items. Organizing fitting rooms. Being a cashier and helping with customers. Cleaning bathrooms...

Pros

employee discount

Fun to work at

the customers always came in with a smile on their face and left with a smile on their face.Customers were very understanding when it was my first day and i didn't understand the programs used to scan the items.

Sloppy workplace with many hazards

Company policies constantly change with little to no communication of the changed policy to the work force. Workplace culture is very unprofessional, which is a boon to any who prefer that.

Pros

Great discount

Cons

Disorganized

Nice atmosphere

It was a good job, you had a daily goal that you were given and they let you work towards it, my co-workers were excellent and friendly, and helped out to accomplish the daily goals.

not bad

overall decent place to work. liked the people and the management was okay as well. they were strict about certain things but you got used to it. would work there again,

Great co-workers but management sucks

- great coworkers that are easy to get along with - constantly understaffed - management doesn't care about workers - makes policies that only benefit the company and puts the workers at a disadvantage

good workplace with decent management

at times the workplace may get inappropriate in which management becomes unprofessional. However, they offer fair employee accommodations and hours are good.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

management

Fun place to work

Overall great place to work, flexible hours, great team members and benefits. Always something to do and room to grow. Management was great and the best part was meeting new people and helping customers out

Great place to work, with many opportunities

People of management and supervisors never seem to be on the same page and don't get along well. Team members are so kind and help you out with whatever you might need. You don't have to feel embarrassed asking the team members questions if you forget certain things on the job. Love working here but management could be doing so much more to help out the company. Many team members have ideas but management doesn't listen to us because they're so unorganized.

Pros

Snacks on certain days, fun donation drives (only once a year though), Halloween shop, friendly team members

Cons

Long shifts, intimidating management

2.9Job security/advancement