Value Village logo

Value Village Employee Reviews in Courtenay, BC

Work-life balance

Found 7 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,714 reviews

An enjoyable

-Would start the morning by maintaining shelves from the previous days customer shopping, removing old items, cleaning up clutter and messy areas, by pulling off items if there were too many. -Then I would bring out any merchandise out to the floor if it had not been finished the previous day. -Then for the remainder of the the shift (6hrs) would cycle between sorting through donation carts often weighing between 750-1000lbs, and would test electronics, clean dirty items, tag items that couldn't have stickers, and keep bringing out new priced merchandise when there was enough to go out, All well providing quality customer service and assisting customers when on the sales floor. -I enjoyed the management, and especially the co-workers, I had good standing relationships with the majority of co-workers and worked excellent with my 2 teammates in my department (Housewares Productions) -The hardest part of the position was balancing the many tasks that needed to be done, and estimating the time needed and carrying it out, all while preparing for unexpected situations, such as helping a large volume of customers, making sure i get everything rolled to the sales floor, and get back to the housewares production table. I also did many extra things, I would sometimes be put in the back of the trailer to build donation carts if one of the "recyclers" showed up. I also often worked voluntary and mandatory weekends and overtime. -There was a period of 2 months where I was doing two positions, we had lost an employee in housewares and I had to cover his job as a sorter, as -

Pros

Free Coffee, had pizza and donuts for staff from donations sometimes.

Cons

Management was changed significantly in my last 3 months there, and while I enjoyed my co-workers and the position, I didn't like how things progressed and the atmosphere.

Physically demanding without appropriate rotation of duties

High turnover of staff due to working conditions. Poor management. Half the floor staff works hard, half doesn't work at all. You are expected to move thousands of items per week. This is an extremely demanding job physically. Staff is generally frustrated and burnt out. You will be subjected to abusive patrons who come in frequently to steal as much as they can and you are not able to address this appropriately due to store rules.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

You will need the medical benefits to have regular visits for pain caused by overexertion.

You become part of the Village family

Value Village does valuable work within the local community and the world community. They have an excellent benefits package for full time staff that is difficult to find in any sort of entry-level job like this. Managers and supervisors care about their staff, and though there is not high turnover for these positions, a promotion or raise is a relatively attainable goal for any hard-working employee to obtain. My old supervisors still greet me by name and it often feels like I'm just leisurely shopping and chatting after clocking out despite not having worked for Value Village in years.

I would rather did ditches

I worked for Value Village Courtenay for 3 years. 2 years as as a production supervisor. They pay so little most employees cannot afford a car and share rides or walk to work. As a supervisor and a single parent I was paid $15 an hour which barely paid the bills, raises were about 25 cents an hour annually. Thankfully I was able to get a hamper at Christmas. I worked hard, and was verbally recognised for my ability to meet targets and manage labour. I was not considered for promotion because my single parent lifestyle had me using more sick time than most as any time I needed for my child, or appointments was taken out of sick pay. I was eventually fired for going over my sick time while I had the flu. I was even told by the district manager at one point to deliberately make friends with stay at home mom's so they could watch my kid for free as some sort of legitimate solution to my "unexcused absences," This company cares about profits only. The same year I had a hamper at Christmas my store made almost a million dollars in profits. We were given paper $25 gift certificates as "bonuses" that were listed on our paycheques as pay and we paid tax on them. If you didn't use the whole thing you did not get change back, and they expired in March.

Pros

50% discount on clothing

Cons

Hostile culture, no work life balance

Fun workplace

I would say Value Village is a nice place to work. Its all about Teamwork. Its an organization that deals with non-profit organization Diabetes Canada.

Pros

often free lunch

Cons

Under paid and does not respect scheduling requests

Hired as a part time worker but too often scheduled for full time hours without permission. I am not working full time hours consistently, I do not receive benefits. This employer has absolutely zero respect for days off booked even in advanced and releases finalized schedules as soon as 1 week in advance.

People that i work with are really nice

On a typical day we cash through people's purchases and put out new items on to the racks. I love my co workers they are probly the most enjoyable part of the work. The hardest part is trying to balance the shifts that are never consistant with my family life.

Pros

nice people

Cons

no consistant shifts or hours

Jobs at Value Village