Value Village logo
Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in Coquitlam, BC

Found 19 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,739 reviews

Nothing extra

Do not allow you to speak your mind Very bossy supervisors are not approachable. If they like you, you are ok but if they don't they make your life miserable

Do not waste your time working here, the only good thing about this place is the employee discount.

At Value Village, the management will treat you as less-than-human and will overwork you because they’re too lazy to do anything other than critique minimum-wage workers and lock themselves up in the office away from customers insulting workers. They will be frustrated when you ask them to do their job and will take their time before helping you and any customers. Many managers and supervisors act as if they’re in a clique and are unapproachable. They do not care if you were supposed to go for lunch 30 mins to an hour ago and will ask you to wait another 15 minutes so they can go on their break.They’re horrible at communicating with and will constantly avoid making any changes in the schedule to help employees. Even emailing them daily about time-off needed for personal reasons such as doctors appointments or mandatory events months in advance can’t assure that your requests will be met (many coworkers have told me that they weren’t able to take shifts off after the deaths of loved ones). I had a surgery and told them 2 months in advance telling them the date and the time off needed for recovery and I was schedule 2 days after my surgery. Managers will constantly complain about workers making requests for well-deserved time off.Managers will complain about the messy state of the sales floor but will do nothing to help out and will constantly complain about being understaffed but won’t hire anyone new even if there are people coming in weekly to see if they’re hiring. They will assign you to a section of a store to clean by yourself, and will constantly have you working as -

Pros

employee discount (50% off clothing, 30% off everything else), sometimes you're lucky and coworkers are nice and you become friends easily

Cons

horrible management, disrespect from managers and customers, over-worked for minimum wage, either give you too much hours or not enough

I like work again

I like work value village again I think all members value village team worked and friendly and manager is strong and good, also supervisors hard work in the wear house

Abusive Management

Manager was verbally abusive towards staff on a regular basis. Terrific coworkers, but a very toxic work place due to bad leadership. Impossible quotas resulting in write-ups, but not flatly enforced leading to favoritism and retaliation for demanding proper PPE.

Friendly atmosphere

Demanding physical job but staff is friendly and supportive. Need to be able to stand for most of the time with 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch break when working in the production area.

Everybody acts as supervisor

The main problem in Vallue Village united Boulevard on Coquitlam is that no body want to do their job, every body want’s to stay as a cashier, the supervisors doesn't have control about to the employees, they don’t like to roll they expend their time doing nothing . They have preferences about some employees. This store is an a complete caos.

Pros

The main manager is nice

Cons

They select lacy people

Must work with a sense of urgency. Fast paced and quotas

You must be able to work hard, and be able to handle the dust in the store not to mention the smell of used clothing. The workers there are hard working. Depending on which store, you can find a great manager or a task master. At Burquitlam store the manager there talks down to you, writes u up for every little thing. and is not flexible with offering you part time hours, They require full time team member

Pros

50% off clothing after 48 hoursof them being on floor

Cons

work hard to little pay

Value Village

A typical day at work is the same day in and day out, you know what to expect when you walk in. Very repetitive, mundane work. Simple stuff that one could really get a grasp on easily, it's just a matter of being monotonous and tiring, employees are really being pushed to hit daily quotas. As for workplace culture, everyone bonds over the way we're treated and what's expected of us. If you can work under pressures, you're good at repetitive tasks, by all means.

Pros

Great co-workers, discounts, being ecologically friendly

value village

its a busy place to work. always something to do. lots of interesting finds. great team members, customers are the biggest challenge and the shoplifters.

Management could use work.

Worked for a few months and it was great. Great friendships made with the other employees. Management is lacking however. Took a month to receive my first paycheque despite asking for it on multiple occasions. Ended up receiving 3 cheques at once. Fishy. I really loved working as one of the donation ambassadors. Ended up quitting as I did not want to chance waiting another month for my next pay.

Pros

Fantastic Coworkers

Jobs at Value Village

in Coquitlam, BC
See more jobs

WORST place to be a cashier.

You're better off seeking employment as a cashier at a grocery store where they pay the same but you wont have to cope with the constant stress of rude,( sometimes aggressive- in your face yelling at you) entitled customers who complain and try to bargain with the prices.Management should take this into consideration since the turnover rate for front end employees is very high yet they pay the minimum. For a company that receives a large portion of their merchandise for free from on site donations, they certainly could afford to pay their employees a decent portion over minimum wage yet they do not. Clearly they don't value their employees. I would not recommend applying here especially if you are just starting out in the work force. Working in the back for production is hardly any better. You stand all day doing the same thing trying to meet a ridiculous quota while the management tells you to go faster. It feels like a being a robot or working in a first world legalized sweatshop,no AC in a hazardous work environment -being exposed to mold, dust and other unknown potentially harmful toxins. The only thing that made it durable are the wonderful co workers which was just luck.

Pros

friendly staff and supervisors

Cons

minimum pay for hard work

front end supervisor

not even worth getting into they don't pay people what they are worth. they don't have the same rules for every person its full of favortisim. its not ran properly at all store manager has her head in the clouds and doesn't have a clue on how the store actually runs in real time

I enjoyed my time there

I always enjoyed coming in to work every morning, it never felt like a job to me. I loved how I was able to make my ow changes to the way things were done, and leave my mark on the company.

Abusive Place to Work

I worked in production and saw favouritism, job advancement went only to a select few, harassment, abuse - yelling, calling names, shoes thrown at other members and racism. Unsafe conditions to work in. Management are either incompetent or bullies or both. The job causes stress, stomach aches and medical problems. A rat was found in the front and no one moved it for days. Since they changed the sorters to another location, the main store is a junk yard. Customers complain how messy the store is.

Pros

close to home

Cons

being treated like a human

Great place to work and learn.

I found Value Village a great place to learn, the supervisors were very patient with me as I learned new things. I had a blast working halloween as a costume consultant and dressing in crazy costumes. Almost everyone was alot of fun to work with and there was alot of team work.

Pros

Bonuses

Productive work environment

Management and co-workers were all lovely, except I was a student at the time and when I asked for fewer hours I was denied.

Productive workplace,

the hardest part of the job is to keep up with the quota every day, with a less then understanding or empathetic manager. the best part of the job would be getting to engage with customers.

Cons

low wages, poor management

Productive workplace with friendly staff

I worked in production as well as store front. In production I did many different task from sorting through products when they first come into the store to pricing them and rolling them to the sales floor. In store front I worked on cash and did some general cleanup. I learned how to deal with customer complaints and keep a positive attitude when the store got busy and stressful. The hardest part may have been having to be on my feet for 8 hours a day and repetitive bending over to pick things up. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with the friendly staff. I was happy to go to work and see the other employees.

Pros

all the staff felt like family

Cons

being on my feet for a full 8 hours

A very physical demanding job and often can be fun.

It's really physical and demanding. A typical day at work for me would be too dump about 300 garbage bags full of clothes, then sort through them and push them down the table to my co-workers. On some days I would hang clothes or roll the clothes onto the sales floor. I really liked my co-workers, they were really nice and we all helped each other. The hardest part of the job was how demanding it was. They pushed and pushed until they met their quota. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it was team work. We needed everyone their in order for things to run smoothly. If someone was away, things would slow down and sometimes got chaotic.

Pros

you get a work out, guaranteed full time hours, room for growth

Cons

no customer interaction allowed

2.9Job security/advancement