Value Village logo
Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in Cambridge, ON

Found 16 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,741 reviews

Can be a hard place to work at

Most times its okay but there can be a lot of drama between staff members which the management often times joins in on. The benefits weren't all that great

Meh

Not worth your time only minimum wage for the amount of work being done as a recycler you are under payed for a company as large as savers/ value village that can't even pay a living wage lots of favoritism and people you work hard our often very angry because there's nothing worse then watching lazy people being rewarded for not doing anything and management doing nothing

Busy, Occasionally high-stress, Inconsistent workload

Fast paced work environment, highly dependent on teamwork. The mission of the recycling and charity aspects are a positive aspect but the compensation for certain roles within the company is not commiserate with the level of work.

High stress for minimal pay.

Employers are encouraged to rate workers as low as possible on reviews to lower raise amounts. Despite it's immense success and massive profit margins, company only pays minimum wage while expecting unreasonable amounts of work, even with absent employees or low attendance.

trash

career i would reccomend to avoid this employer. Great people to work with and 50% off merchandise and free pizza on sale days and free christmas meals. Aside from all that they treat the employees like slaves, give lackluster and leave stores untidy and constant complaints from customers. VERY HIGH TURN OVER RATE!!

Cons

lack of hours

Great teamwork environment

Working at this Value Village I found very pleasurable, staff is friendly and helpful. Management is very approachable and you do feel as though you've been heard when discussing anything with them. Salary is minimum wage to start, they do have good benefits after your initial probationary period. There is plenty of room to advance if that's your desire. Job culture is nice, not too much back stabbing or gossip.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

low wages

Was great for the first 2 years...

Then we got new managers. Who had no retail experience (they both admitted it--one was an office manager, and one was a grocery manager-vastly different from product retail). The following occured: -gossiping not discouraged by management -health and safety standards are NEVER adhered to -MULTIPLE INJURIES with MULTIPLE STAFF -either scheduled so you don't have time to do anything else OR not scheduled more than once a week -call in shifts -customers being rude, falsely reporting staff to supervisors who write staff up even if witnesses (customers) come forward to explain the complainant is lying -not adhering to doctor's orders for injured or ill staff -

Pros

Discounts, Halloween

Cons

To many, read the review

Not an amazing work place...

At value village you work long flexible hours even when you tell them you can't. Management is bad with no answers to any questions but "figure it out".

Pros

Lots of money on pay day, work associates

Cons

management, terrible hours, no answers?!?

Overall, this company was an incredible part of my life and taught me so much.

Working at value village was an amazing experience. I met so many great people, learned what its like to have a second family, had a huge part in the physical aspect of the job, and took part in showing interest with furthering my roll as a team member there. A typical day working there would include a very stressful atmosphere and impatient customers. As well as a store that needed to e cleaned. It was harder on the busy days because impatient customers would get aggressive with us and made the day difficult. I learned lots of customer service skills within my position there and developed a good understanding of the way customers try to work. Another part I found was hard on my body working in the cdc room. It was a lot of physical work and caused lots of stress. Overall, working for this company impacted me greatly and taught me so many useful skills.

Lack Of Training

Management failed to provide adequate training and I found myself grasping at straws and struggling throughout my work experience. Far too much was expected of someone who received barely the basic training.

Pros

Friendly staff made work environment more relaxing

Cons

Lack of training

Jobs at Value Village

in Cambridge, ON
See more jobs

I liked working here and I really liked helping the people.

I really like working here and I really liked helping the people.But the last few months that I was there we got a new manager and he was very verbally abusive. So I could take no more and decided to leave. I was there for almost 8 years.

Pros

Close to home and working with people.

Cons

verbal abuse.

custodial work for the store and offices

did cleaning of store and offices on weekends. I did cleaning during high school years. Enjoyed the work environment and enjoyed the extra money I earned.

Pros

great work environment

Cons

not a permanent job

Productive in the work place, bad management

Fun days Friendly Employees Great employee customer interaction Good hours Paid breaks Miss Communication between managers The most enjoyable part of the job was being on cash

Pros

Friendly Staff

Cons

miss communication in withing the managers

Value VIllage

Would get to work, over look sales and production numbers from previous day, seeing where we had opportunities. Than I would look at the staff schedule working and training the Production Manager to ensure that all targets and metrics were going to be met for that day. I would than follow up on business opportunities within the store (space to sales, floor plans, departments trending down). I would work along side my management staff to help them grow and learn what I had noticed. i would also deal with the day to day functions of the business dealing with all team member relations, hiring and recruiting needs of the store while ensuring a positive customer experience in my store. I would also deal with one on one training and developing, and roll out all practices or policies from head office.

Pros

Able to learn and grow with my company

Cons

Informatin wouldn't get pass down to MGMT in a timily manner

The best part of working at Value Village is that they help 140 non profit charities

Value Village saves 60 million pounds from the landfills every year while paying 140 different non profit partners throughout Canada and the United States.

Pros

Employee Discounts

Cons

Do not promises that are made to people

Excellent place to work, within a week they advanced me to supervisor or the Halloween department (all new product) i reached the sales goal so my company benefited from the bonus, i learned how to take charge of a small group of employees, how to schedule them in best to suit there life outside of work and learned how to take charge when needed and how to put aside the friend aspect. there was no hard part of this job i was challenged and i meet it to their satisfaction.

Pros

advanced within a week of working there

Cons

management was going through lots of changes

2.9Job security/advancement