Savers/Value Village Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Found 24 reviews matching the search See all 2,172 reviews
a lot of promises not kept
RETAIL SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Calgary17 September 2019
The team of people who work there are amazing, the manager is not. the company is not about it's people, but is now all about the corporate atmosphere.
Pros
team members
Cons
expectations from management
Not amazing.
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2019
Worked at lethbridge store 4 yrs, loved it! Calgary's chinook store is terrible. Very unsafe, messy, disorganized production room. Prod. Manager is very disconnected from her employees and avoids telling you straight up and throws her supervisors under the bus to avoid looking like the bad guy. The quotas the company expects from their employees is ridiculous, especially for the housewares team. Everyone who works there is in a constant state of stress and anxiety and it is over all a unsatisfactory place to work. Not to mention they most likely will pay you just above minimum wage for a 40+ hour a week job that you have to work your butt off everyday in fear of getting written up or fired.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Low pay for work load.
Fast phased
Production Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 June 2019
Good schedule, labor intensive, fast phased, reasonable management, should improve team work in all departments, with benefit, and performance recognition.
Pros
benefit
Cons
stress
work day
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2019
Horrible treatment of employees, the managers are not capable of understanding others jobs which leads to constant issues between employ and management.
Pros
Cons
hard work minimum pay
Poor experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2019
The work is at times very strenuous and the workdays feel long. Corporate standards very strictly adhered to, which creates a staff that delivers very proactive customer service but also creates resentment between the team and the management. A lot of dissatisfaction from staff in regards to management- staff concerns generally ignored and disregarded (at least in my experience from my time working there.)
very good experience
Customer Service, Cashier, Halloween Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2018
Very good experience, good environment with the crew members on the sale floor, working with different cultural team, the environment at work very diverse.
Enjoyable
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2018
Company wasn't bad to work for, lots of benefits and perks to working there. Employee discounts, as well as occasional sale bonuses throughout the year and pleasant co workers.
productive
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2018
love the people I work with enjoy how they are like family. Enjoy working Monday to Friday and no weekends Have made many friends that will last a lfe time
Good 'core values' but safety issues are common
Operations Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2018
Company was good for some, but the safety issues and lack of training were extremely problematic.

I enjoyed the idea of working for charity, but saw that there was many things that were wasteful.

We were supposed to tell people we 'recycle' everything, when some really good products were actually discarded.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
broken equipment
Its Okay
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2017
Its okay. The people are nice, unfortunately you have to deal with people being upset over prices and angry old people on seniors day. The job is easy and at times can be fun,
Production team member
Production team member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
Sorted donations and appraised sellable and unsellable miscellaneous, assured the highest quality items for customers.

Allocated price according to quality and condition (1.400 Average day Items), assured affordable prices for customers.

Communicated clearly and effectively with the other team members to keep quality and price standard.
Excellent Company to work for
Cashier/Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
At the start of the shift the float had to be counted. Then the purchases of the customers accurately scanned, returning the correct change for cash paying customers, processing card transaction. If not busy at the cash register we would help the other team members at the changing room, returning product to the floor, and keeping carts organized.
The team members were great to work with and we all helped each other in the smooth running of the work place.
The hardest part of the job was to keep the floor neat and tidy
Pros
Free lunches on sales days
Cons
Part time work
fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2016
working for value village was like working with a family. at least that is the feeling that i got when i was there. i was a cashier and worked in the back. it was sooo much fun.
Was not the best experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2016
For a first job it was good... but management and supervisors did not treat lesser employees fairly. Hours were good. However i would never go back to work there.
Pros
full time hours
Cons
management
a fun place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
I had a great time working at value village, but I had reached the wage cap, so I could not afford to work there. I also had some dental problems that kept me off work for some time.
Pros
Great people!!
Cons
Too many folks working in a small space(production)
Transfer
Assistant Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 November 2015
Good company to work for paid to transfer me across the country gave me managment jobs and provided me with the skills to move on throught out my life worked with alot of charities in helping people get what they needed.
fast paced enviroment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2015
This job was very fast paced and physical. The best part as the customers you got to interact with on a daily basis.The hardest part of the job was the closing shift, you never knew what time you would be clocking out at because the floor had to be cleaned every night.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2015
Open communication,
Organized.

Normally i would sort a full cart full of books
pick the best of the best, price and take out for customers to view/buy
Pros
friendly
Cons
did not pay alot
secure and stable work environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  calgary15 April 2015
my job included handling the tills, merchandising, stocking and shelving. We also had to manage the floor. at any given time there were at least 3 cashiers. It was a fun places to work as we worked as a team to accomplish the tasks.
Pros
fun places to work with co workers
Cons
work life balance
Fast paced,unorganized
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2015
A typical day at work would consist of hanging up to 1700 items of clothing. I learned a lot about clothing and identifying real labels versus knock off brands. I was unsatisfied with the performance of my management. Safety issues were unadressed and employees unsupervised. Expectations were also unclear until after the fact. This position was stressful. The hardest part of the job was the work load and no assistance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savers/Value Village. Our community is ready to answer.