Value Village logo
Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in Burlington, ON

Found 15 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,729 reviews

Alright

managers and the people in the back I worked with were the best thing about the job I would say. Hours were probably the worst. 1 week you would have 32 hours the next I'd have 4. Constantly scheduling problems. But overall very good people.

Management pacifies customers over defending their cashiers

I'm a supervisor here and I think I'm one of the only ones who cares about team member morale. Upper management isn't afraid to make TMs cry, and doesn't have any consideration for their emotions ("leave it at the door" mentality) especially and including in times of crisis such as bereavement time, and harassment within the workplace. It's all allowed as long as you're making the company money, and your wage only increases by a max of 2 or 3 percent each year.

Pros

??? Lol the discount I guess

Cons

Public humiliation of TMs, HR that blames your anxiety meds and doesn't take your concerns seriously, little to no accountability for when you or someone else does something unsafe or wrong, on call system is garbage

Does not pay enough for job responsibilities

I was often expected to work beyond shift time, working a total of 50+ hours a week, only 40 of which I received compensation. For the amount of remuneration and support I was offered, I don't think it was worth the work or stress of the job. Management is also condescending, sarcastic and unsupportive of work-life balance and mental health. Many people tried to report upper management for how they conducted themselves, but due to most interactions being in person with no physical evidence, the complaints were dismissed.

I liked it.

I loved my job there and I wish I could go back everyone was so nice and fun. My managers were always there to help. Our team worked hard together to make our quotas everyday, it was good hard work

It was a wonderful 2 years

It was my first real job I learned a lot, the team members and management were great. However, Halloween is the busiest time and you will have many hours which can be a good thing or be a thing. It is a very easy job and the hours aren't that bad if you are willing to do them.

Does good for the community however ....

Pros. Staff were for the most part nice and pleasant to work with. The company itself does a lot of good for communities and I like there values Cons. Lack of training is always an issue High turn over in staff Not being heard when you have a concern Lack of communication Management doesn’t work as a team Promised things that are not delivered

Great staff

I had an extremely positive experience working at this location, staff and management were extremely nice and supportive.

Great place and great people— insanely high standards

While this is a great company to work for that has amazing benefits and values, I was unfortunately suddenly let go after two months because I couldn’t meet the processing standards that they expected. I believe this was because of the short amount of time I was given, and the fact that I was trained wrong in my position at the start. The processing targets are very high, multiple workers there have told me that even they don’t meet them on the daily after 2+ years of experience there. Even though I had an unsavoury experience, Value Village is a great company, just a little rough around the edges when it comes to flexibility around their daily processing targets.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

High standards

Great place to work, everyone is very friendly. You get to meet new people every day. I love working with the full time ladies, they are always willing to help and answer any questions you have. Management, always happy, greet you with a smile every single day. Very easy to talk to and to answer any question you may have.

Pros

friendly staff, monthly potluck's

Cons

staying after the store closes to clean the store

Nice employees, interesting customers.

Customers can be nice, but are often very rude and neurotic, sometimes demanding that prices be reduced as a special just for them. There are a few customers that have to be observed by employees when they enter the store, as they are often caught trying to steal from the store, which takes away the employee's time to get other work finished.

Pros

Monthly birthday celebrations, christmas lunch

Cons

crazy people, insane customers

Jobs at Value Village

in Burlington, ON
See more jobs

Excellent place to start as a young adult

Value Village provides a simple, easy place for either young adults looking for their first proper job, or anyone else looking for part time work on the side. They're extraordinarily accommodating if you're upfront and honest about your needs. The job(s) there are all quite mundane. You'll not be pushed beyond your limit. The culture there is, typically, very relaxed. I rated Job Security/Advancement at 3/5 solely for the Advancement portion of it - have no fear, if you show up on time, it's next to impossible to lose your job with Value Village. But time seems to slow down to a crawl within its walls, and advancement is a very slow, if not impossible thing. There are better places to make a proper career out of, if advancement and promotion are what you seek. If you want a straight forward job with flexible hours and a relaxing work environment, then look no further.

Pros

Extremely relaxed, very flexible hours, great discount, usually an inviting culture

Cons

Advancement is a myth. And the radio station never updates!!

fun

Working at Value Village was fun cause of the customer you meet and help pick out costumes and other necessary item's they needed.

Decent work place

VV is a decent work place. Hours are pretty good. Coworkes are good

Great community

The best part about working at Value Village is feeling like you're coming into another family. Everyone was very supportive and helpful, and I really enjoyed the time I spent there. Only negative thing I have to say about them is we would commonly be asked to stay later than scheduled.

Great

I enjoyed working here. Everyone was very friendly. Very flexible positions and just a nice place to work.

2.9Job security/advancement