Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews in Barrie, ON

I really loved working at the village. we all became a big family. I would have stayed there forever but. When things didnt go the way the manager wanted they found a way to get rid of you
Hated working here was in and out of the office because few people didn't like me. Had to apologize for things not my fault or didn't do. And management was joke so was safety
Pros
Get treated like trash
Cons
To many to list
I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground. If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production. Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open. Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather - more...
Pros
fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with
Cons
hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person
friendly easy to with staff members recommended workplace had a great time doing my coop placement here if I had to work here full time I definitely work take the job
This place is LITERALLY an entrance to actual h*ll. The customers are all literally on drugs and evil. The management is brutal and the staff are an ever changing cycle of weirdos who don't have an ounce of work ethic in their bodies. I worked there for three years, endured countless negative interactions with both customers and other staff, bent over backwards for the company and received NOTHING in return. They treat you like a robot and would rather keep a customer than ensure your safety. I had an actual STALKER who followed me to school and restaurants and they refused to ban him. I was 16 and no one had my back. I finally walked out and gave them no notice because they don't give references anyway. I hate this company and everyone who shops there with a passion.
Terrible staff, terrible management. They give the supervisors a hard time to make us meet quotas. They write you up for anything they can think of especially if you call in sick.
this job is not for the faint of heart, its fast paced and physically demanding(on your feet all day). The other coworkers are friendly and the management team is awesome. the most difficult part of the job is maintaining quotas, but interacting with customers is great.
Such a terrible workplace. Managers will constantly belittle you, make you feel terrible, and the stress of the job can put you on sick leave. I highly suggest to never work there, their turnover rate and they're always hiring due to them not being able to keep employers. Completely terrible place to work for. Constant drama between co-workers, managers are never happy with your work you've achieved either.
Cons
Long days, bad pay for work, disgusting environment
Fast pace environment with with a time and quota and a target to hit everyday
It's a good job when management isnt making illogical decisions that only benefit them and not the success of the team members. The staff is friendly, and is the main reason I stuck around as long as I did. They are great for working around your availability. This is not a job for people who tend to become stressed out easily.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Physically and mentally exhausting
No matter how hard you work, you get no recognition and just pushed more. Management likes to just stand around and not help at all. Instead of hiring more people, they want to make someone do 2-4 jobs a day because that works. Everyone is two-faced and total gossipers. I highly suggest to never work here.
man I really goofed by not keeping this job, I was like 17 and thought it was hard but it was my first job and I had noooooo idea what a hard job was like. would go back in a heartbeat
Pros
easy
Cons
people
Value Village was a great place to begin working in retail, and gain experience. The fellow coworkers were a lot of fun to be around, and made it a great environment.
I quite enjoyed my time at Value Village, as I made some friends, and Iwas on my feet all day, the hours varied, and they would change it up almost every shift so you weren't a main cashier every night, or a cdc every night, my favourite part of value village was being able to interact with customers no matter where i was on shift, i enjoy talking to customers alot, and helping them with costumes, or gift ideas for grandkids, etc, the hardest part of the job was the cdc's but that's because i have no muscle to lift heavy bags, or boxes, but that was my favourite place to be stationed.
Pros
on my feet
I enjoyed working here for a bit. Mainly because of the staff who were awesome other then some supervisors.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
No one slacks off. Everyone works hard to get the job done. People take pride in their work. The atmosphere in the production room is respectful. Workers laugh and say nice things to each other. Generally, all workers are friendly and kind -- most are very helpful. They will help you if you are behind at putting out the product.The customers are wonderful, and working on the sales floor is enjoyable.The best aspect of the job is the management. All the mangers at the Barrie Value Village are extremely kind and generous. I have little retail experience, but I have heard from others, that as retail jobs go, Savers/Value Village is one of the best places to work :)
Pros
get togethers -- potluck lunches, bbqs, pizza days -- and a general atmosphere of caring
Cons
the production job is dusty, some of the donations are dirty and smelly, there isn't any natural light or fresh air