Value Village logo
Value Village
View all Value Village reviews

Value Village

Value Village Employee Review

WORST place to be a cashier.

You're better off seeking employment as a cashier at a grocery store where they pay the same but you wont have to cope with the constant stress of rude,( sometimes aggressive- in your face yelling at you) entitled customers who complain and try to bargain with the prices.Management should take this into consideration since the turnover rate for front end employees is very high yet they pay the minimum. For a company that receives a large portion of their merchandise for free from on site donations, they certainly could afford to pay their employees a decent portion over minimum wage yet they do not. Clearly they don't value their employees. I would not recommend applying here especially if you are just starting out in the work force. Working in the back for production is hardly any better. You stand all day doing the same thing trying to meet a ridiculous quota while the management tells you to go faster. It feels like a being a robot or working in a first world legalized sweatshop,no AC in a hazardous work environment -being exposed to mold, dust and other unknown potentially harmful toxins. The only thing that made it durable are the wonderful co workers which was just luck.

Pros

friendly staff and supervisors

Cons

minimum pay for hard work

2.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Minimum wage isn't worth the mistreatment you'll suffer

I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground. If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production. Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open. Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather -

Pros

fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with

Cons

hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person
Same role

fast passed

working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.
Same location

Do not waste your time working here, the only good thing about this place is the employee discount.

At Value Village, the management will treat you as less-than-human and will overwork you because they’re too lazy to do anything other than critique minimum-wage workers and lock themselves up in the office away from customers insulting workers. They will be frustrated when you ask them to do their job and will take their time before helping you and any customers. Many managers and supervisors act as if they’re in a clique and are unapproachable. They do not care if you were supposed to go for lunch 30 mins to an hour ago and will ask you to wait another 15 minutes so they can go on their break.They’re horrible at communicating with and will constantly avoid making any changes in the schedule to help employees. Even emailing them daily about time-off needed for personal reasons such as doctors appointments or mandatory events months in advance can’t assure that your requests will be met (many coworkers have told me that they weren’t able to take shifts off after the deaths of loved ones). I had a surgery and told them 2 months in advance telling them the date and the time off needed for recovery and I was schedule 2 days after my surgery. Managers will constantly complain about workers making requests for well-deserved time off.Managers will complain about the messy state of the sales floor but will do nothing to help out and will constantly complain about being understaffed but won’t hire anyone new even if there are people coming in weekly to see if they’re hiring. They will assign you to a section of a store to clean by yourself, and will constantly have you working as -

Pros

employee discount (50% off clothing, 30% off everything else), sometimes you're lucky and coworkers are nice and you become friends easily

Cons

horrible management, disrespect from managers and customers, over-worked for minimum wage, either give you too much hours or not enough

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Value Village with

• Value Village
  • WORST place to be a cashier.