Value Village logo
View all Value Village reviews

Value Village

Value Village Employee Review

Very friendly safe workplace

A typical day at work would have been helping customers, hanging clothes, having friendly conversations, and ringing people up on the cash register. While working at Value Village I learned how to properly use cash registers, how to work well with my fellow team members to get a job finished to the best of its abilities. Every employee in the establishment had a very kind and positive outlook on the store, there were never any issues.The hardest part of the job, however, would have to be dealing with shoplifters and a few choice angry customers. My favorite part about the job I had was that I could work with people and converse with them. I truly enjoy getting along with my fellow team members and customers.

Pros

Friendly people

Cons

Not enough hours

4.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Great people to work with, nice managers but not responsive

The managers are very nice and I love my coworkers (easily the best part of working here). The work is easy enough but never-ending and very repetitive on the sales floor. The corporation itself doesn't trust the employees to make decisions so at a cash you will have to call managers to sign off on most decisions (exchanges, price checks, etc.) Unfortunately, the managers don't always take into account that a lot of the employees are still in school so younger employees can feel very over-whelmed with school/work balance. But I would say it is a good entry-level job and chill.

Pros

50% discount on most of the store, great people

Cons

Repetitive, don't take outside-of-work lives of employees
Same role

Physically demanding without appropriate rotation of duties

High turnover of staff due to working conditions. Poor management. Half the floor staff works hard, half doesn't work at all. You are expected to move thousands of items per week. This is an extremely demanding job physically. Staff is generally frustrated and burnt out. You will be subjected to abusive patrons who come in frequently to steal as much as they can and you are not able to address this appropriately due to store rules.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

You will need the medical benefits to have regular visits for pain caused by overexertion.
Same location

High turnover, raises are minimal.

Worked there for over a year. Work was fast paced and difficult, management always expected more from us. Raises were yearly, up to 3% generally, but you rarely maxed out. When minimum wage would go up, you'd be back to making about the same as the new hires.

Pros

Discounts?

Cons

management was hard to satisfy.

2.9Job security/advancement