Value Village logo
Value Village
View all Value Village reviews

Value Village

Value Village Employee Review

I would rather did ditches

I worked for Value Village Courtenay for 3 years. 2 years as as a production supervisor. They pay so little most employees cannot afford a car and share rides or walk to work. As a supervisor and a single parent I was paid $15 an hour which barely paid the bills, raises were about 25 cents an hour annually. Thankfully I was able to get a hamper at Christmas. I worked hard, and was verbally recognised for my ability to meet targets and manage labour. I was not considered for promotion because my single parent lifestyle had me using more sick time than most as any time I needed for my child, or appointments was taken out of sick pay. I was eventually fired for going over my sick time while I had the flu. I was even told by the district manager at one point to deliberately make friends with stay at home mom's so they could watch my kid for free as some sort of legitimate solution to my "unexcused absences," This company cares about profits only. The same year I had a hamper at Christmas my store made almost a million dollars in profits. We were given paper $25 gift certificates as "bonuses" that were listed on our paycheques as pay and we paid tax on them. If you didn't use the whole thing you did not get change back, and they expired in March.

Pros

50% discount on clothing

Cons

Hostile culture, no work life balance

1.0Job security/advancement

Same role

people working there is the best

most people are very fun and good to work with. they can balance working and also having fun with their jobs or designated task. most employees works there for more than 5 yrs and more.

benefits
Same role

Thrift Shop

Production Supervisor: Daily reports, schedules, training staff, coaching. Making sure that company protocols and policies are applied on a daily basis.Running hourly, daily, weekly and monthly reports to hit quotas. Problem solving daily and making sure that all staff of 25 plus are properly trained and understand their daily job duties.
Same location

Physically demanding without appropriate rotation of duties

High turnover of staff due to working conditions. Poor management. Half the floor staff works hard, half doesn't work at all. You are expected to move thousands of items per week. This is an extremely demanding job physically. Staff is generally frustrated and burnt out. You will be subjected to abusive patrons who come in frequently to steal as much as they can and you are not able to address this appropriately due to store rules.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

You will need the medical benefits to have regular visits for pain caused by overexertion.

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Value Village with

• Value Village
  • I would rather did ditches