Value Village logo
Value Village
View all Value Village reviews

Value Village

Value Village Employee Review

Great team, pretty easy work, your typical retail experience

I work in operations, the team that manages the front of the store. It's your typical retail job; working the cash, cleaning up after customers, hanging clothes, etc. You get the occasional grumpy, messy customers who push your buttons but that's any retail job. Value Village is no different. It's pretty easy work. Pay is good, starts at minimum and every year depending on how you do you get a bonus (a fairly good one if you've been a good employee.) Full time (32 hours a week or more) get benefits which is nice. Upward movement is an option if you're a solid employee.The location I work at have pretty good management. Not many complaints. My only issue is with the consistency of the rules and pricing. A lot of the times managers will break 90% of the rules to please customers resulting in a lot of that "if you scream loud enough at the cashier you get what you want" mentality from the return customers. You say no (because it's your job to) and then they scream and the manager says yes to appease them. Be prepared for constant price haggling and price checks. All in all, good place to work.

Pros

Good management, room for promotion, easy work

Cons

Typical retail experience of dealing with bad customers, take the brunt of customer anger

4.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Minimum wage isn't worth the mistreatment you'll suffer

I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground. If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production. Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open. Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather -

Pros

fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with

Cons

hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person

fast passed

working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.
Same role

Need to full fill fulltime staff before hiring mire people

I was never informed about hours getting a huge cut back till a few months prior. They hire way too many people and don't give full time staff their hours.

Pros

East going staff

Cons

Low pay high expectations for the work i find lots of favouritism in the work place

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Value Village with

• Value Village
  • Great team, pretty easy work, your typical retail experience