Value Village logo
View all Value Village reviews

Value Village

Value Village Employee Review

fast passed

working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.

4.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Minimum wage isn't worth the mistreatment you'll suffer

I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground. If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production. Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open. Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather -

Pros

fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with

Cons

hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person
Same role

Need to full fill fulltime staff before hiring mire people

I was never informed about hours getting a huge cut back till a few months prior. They hire way too many people and don't give full time staff their hours.

Pros

East going staff

Cons

Low pay high expectations for the work i find lots of favouritism in the work place
Same location

Absolutely the worst job I've ever had

If I could give less than one star for management and the actual job, I would. Just like the other comments management doesn't care about you as a person, they care about their numbers and money. For example: I had a drs note to take time (1week) off due to an illness; once the week was up I got a call and was advised that it would be smart to come back to work. Basically telling me that if I didnt come back that my job might not be safe... Also, If you ever work here be prepared to get written up for the stupidest things. I posted a post on my personal private Facebook account; 2 hrs after posting I get paged up to the office. Turns out a coworker showed my boss the post and I got written up for "talking ill about the company". My Facebook never stated where I worked, and I didn't tag the company. It was just an absolute stupid reason to get written up. The only thing I enjoyed about working here was my coworkers and working during October because that's the only time you get to have fun since we used to be able to dress up everyday. If you want to work here, I recommend asking to work in CDC or as a Cashier. Do not work in Production under any circumstances. THIS COMPANY IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST THAT I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!!

Pros

Discount and coworkers.

Cons

Management, poor salary, poor working conditions

2.9Job security/advancement