Value Village logo
Value Village
View all Value Village reviews

Value Village

Value Village Employee Review

At Value Village, the management will treat you as less-than-human and will overwork you because they’re too lazy to do anything other than critique minimum-wage workers and lock themselves up in the office away from customers insulting workers. They will be frustrated when you ask them to do their job and will take their time before helping you and any customers. Many managers and supervisors act as if they’re in a clique and are unapproachable. They do not care if you were supposed to go for lunch 30 mins to an hour ago and will ask you to wait another 15 minutes so they can go on their break.They’re horrible at communicating with and will constantly avoid making any changes in the schedule to help employees. Even emailing them daily about time-off needed for personal reasons such as doctors appointments or mandatory events months in advance can’t assure that your requests will be met (many coworkers have told me that they weren’t able to take shifts off after the deaths of loved ones). I had a surgery and told them 2 months in advance telling them the date and the time off needed for recovery and I was schedule 2 days after my surgery. Managers will constantly complain about workers making requests for well-deserved time off.Managers will complain about the messy state of the sales floor but will do nothing to help out and will constantly complain about being understaffed but won’t hire anyone new even if there are people coming in weekly to see if they’re hiring. They will assign you to a section of a store to clean by yourself, and will constantly have you working as -

Pros

employee discount (50% off clothing, 30% off everything else), sometimes you're lucky and coworkers are nice and you become friends easily

Cons

horrible management, disrespect from managers and customers, over-worked for minimum wage, either give you too much hours or not enough

1.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Horrible unfriendly and biased staff

I worked at VV in Peterborough for over two years, and there was not a time which I enjoyed it. The environment eerily mirrored tv high school- with cliques and favorites for every manager. Value Village offers yearly raises, but that's about the only benefit to working there.

Pros

Yearly raises

Cons

Everything else about the job
Same role

Fun and easy-to-learn environment to work in but...

Even though the coworkers were amazing, about 3 of the 5 supervisors you will encounter weren't the best. One seemed like they were in a bad mood all the time and judgemental, another not showing much excitement, and another looking energetically-drained all the time. These three definitely hindered my experience, especially the first one I mentioned. The other 2 supervisors were great! Lively, cheerful, understanding, and a pleasure to work with. The job is easy to learn. I learnt how to operate the cash register in just 2 hours and knew everything I needed. Understanding the organizing system with the clothes was also easy. And new Covid-19 front-door-greeter protocols are very basic. If there were a few tips I could give, these would be it:- Be wary of some customers. Maple Ridge is not the best in terms of the homelessness situation and Value Village attracts these people and they can be difficult sometimes. - Don't let the supervisors or especially customers make you feel down. In the end, it's a thrift store. You are doing your best and the team does appreciate your work and effort. - Make friends with some of the customers. It was a bitter-sweet moment with some of the regulars when I left- Call out mistakes by supervisors. They will sometimes forget your Lunch or Coffee breaks or forget you are working in another department. Make sure to let them know!All in all, this was a great place to get my first job experience. Most of the coworkers are great people to be with. Definitely made the day better. The supervisors can be difficult sometimes, but genuinely -

Pros

Easy to learn, fun coworkers, fast days due to busyness

Cons

Stressful management, difficult customers sometimes, sense of self-ownership
Same location

I like work again

I like work value village again I think all members value village team worked and friendly and manager is strong and good, also supervisors hard work in the wear house

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Value Village with

• Value Village
  • Do not waste your time working here, the only good thing about this place is the employee discount.