Value Village logo
View all Value Village reviews

Value Village

Value Village Employee Review

Decent place

Management wasn't great, and they didn't work well with my availability. Knew I was in school full time, hired as part time and had me working 6+ hours every day that I was done school at 3 and had 8 hours on days I had off of school.

2.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Minimum wage isn't worth the mistreatment you'll suffer

I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground. If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production. Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open. Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather -

Pros

fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with

Cons

hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person
Same role

fast passed

working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.
Same location

Only take this job if you have to

Management was lacklustre and very very behind with the times, they are out of touch with the customer base and the community at large, and trying to get any type of request or form by them is a painfully long task. The employees and some supervisors are treated like garbage, while the higher up management is very cliquy and not friendly to approach. The customers that come through are also very rude, and it has only gotten worse the COVID-19 restrictions in place, which the store was not really trying to implement anyways. For minimum wage, you're better off trying something else

Pros

The co-workers who also hate working there

Cons

Terrible management, rude customers, no team member safety

2.9Job security/advancement