Value Village
Savers/Value Village
Value Village Employee Review

Coworkers are really the best part

19 March 2021
My coworkers were the best, and the benefits were great! Unfortunately, as a cashier I had to perform tasks such as working in the community donation center because they were heavily understaffed for months, as well as working in production for my last few weeks. They claimed I (and other fellow cashiers) had to work in production because cashiers asking for more hours during spring break, so we were sent to work in production. What didn't make sense is that then they purposely understaffed cashiers - making it constantly busy at the tills - to increase productivity, leaving the store a mess the entire day while cashiers who could help had to stay in production...
3.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Friendly coworkers and great benefits, helping the environment
Cons
Management makes bad decisions, unfair work
28 December 2020
Same role
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) - West Kelowna, BC
It's an awful place to work, co workers are fun some of them but the managers need to learn to control emotions while at work and not take it out on employees. Very confusing place to work because no one seems to know what's actually going on.
Pros
50% off but thats the only pro
Cons
Really bad to employees.
9 November 2020
Same role
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) - Cornwall, ON
All of my coworkers were a wonderful group of ladies! Everyone becomes really close friends and we all treat each other like a family, managers included. If you requested time off you would more than likely get it unless it was Halloween as the last 2 weeks of October are blacked out and you can not request time off during that time. December-March are incredibly slow and you will get sent home early quite a bit. We were understaffed a lot of times too to the point where you might work a 10 hour day or be asked to stay later because of frequent call ins. The only problems I had were I would get a write up if I didn’t get a certain amount of membership sign ups in a week which would be hard to do considering a lot of people are already members so it doesn’t count, and others don’t want to give out their email so it also doesn’t count. I could ask every customer I spoke with to give me their phone numbers but if they didn’t want to attach an email I would not be able to reach my goal of 3% sign ups per transaction. It was a very competitive place as we are a smaller store competing against the other VV’s in the Ottawa area. Operations would always get the short end of the stick and I didn’t feel we were as appreciated as Production was. I worked there for almost 3 years and made the best of friends, but the toxicity of the place as well as being put in the CDC area for a whole season despite not having any training and me saying countless times that I would much rather not, I decided to leave.
Pros
Free Lunches on Sale Days, 50% off discount on clothes, friendly coworkers
Cons
Work a lot of open to close shifts, slower days in the winter months, senior days are always extremely busy
19 December 2020
Same location
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) - Mission, BC
Management expects things then you get in trouble for doing as they ask . They ask to much and don't help you to get time to do the projects she'd of you. Give you promises they don't keep and say you doing great then something in life happens as you loose a father and a husband same year and no compassion and not aloud to forget things and trying really hard still everyday and working crazy hours at Halloween and getting let down by little respect and pay and never good enough and this is put on to all Management..fire people and don't give them a fair chance and expect alot more than anywhere else for not great pay and never good enough ..
Pros
Good benefits and training programs
Cons
Large work load for not much more pay for management and no pay for the stress ..
  1. Coworkers are really the best part