Value Village logo
Value Village
View all Value Village reviews

Value Village

Value Village Employee Review

Always busy good social committee

Fast paced More about Value Village about their recycle process 1 manager 5 supervisors Overall good but couldn't please one I went back to work too soon had an injury which wasn't healed yet but felt I still kept up with the pace The customers

Pros

Always having something going on for the staff. Draws, potlucks, BBQs etc

Cons

where watched constantly on cameras

2.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Minimum wage isn't worth the mistreatment you'll suffer

I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground. If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production. Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open. Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather -

Pros

fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with

Cons

hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person
Same role

fast passed

working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.
Same location

not school friendly, plus some supervisors are the worst person to work with. with a high turnover rate

i would not reccommend working here if u are in school. they are the type of place who when u want part time they give full time hours... and get disgruntled when you dont want those hours ,saying "this will be tough to rework the schedule." has a high tunrover rate for employees under 3 months. even if it doesnt work out for you they want a two weeks letter of resignation if you have worked there for a week. There are some good supervisors and one really bad one. this one isnt very nice to people who do not share the same interests as her. its very cliquey. i received maybe 10 hours worth of on the job training and often got passively agressively talked to when i made mistakes when it was my second day on cash. it really is the kind of work place where if you arent taught it, figure it out.

Pros

50% discount

Cons

little to no training. all of the training is on the fly. high turnover

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Value Village with

• Value Village
  • Always busy good social committee