Value Village
Coronavirus update

Value Village Employee Reviews

Canada1,384 reviews
Found 1,384 reviews matching the search
Manager was great but they’re was definitely favourite and seniority between certain supervisors and staff members. Always cut shifts early so even if you are full time you aren’t making full time hours. Good discount. A lot of back talking between staff members and a lot of drama.
I like work value village again
I think all members value village team worked and friendly and manager is strong and good, also supervisors hard work in the wear house
Pros
You move heavy materials from dirty bins and sort them out. This is a really rough job and all you do is stand up all day. Moving all the time - fast fast and fast. For minimum wages??? Look elsewhere!!!
Pros
Weekdays only
Cons
DUST Bed Bugs and miserable staff. Managers are rich, mean and do nothing.
management sucks all they care about is themselves and bonuses at the end of the year. I believe a change in management will allow them to be a better place of work. This has been my worst experience ever.
Management constantly pushing production members for numbers that aren't possible with the amount of employees they have. They keep raising numbers to almost be what production would normally process but with only half of the team members we had pre covid. Two of our production managers are rude beyond what any employer should get away with with one of them saying increasingly more racist things towards people. Dont work here, ever
Pros
Benefits for production members, if your in operations (cashier or cdc) then good luck because it doesnt happen.
Cons
They treat you like a number, arent willing to help work with your schedule, benefits are a joke, management is poor, management is poor, management is poor
I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground.

If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production.

Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open.

Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather
 - more...
Pros
fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with
Cons
hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person
The store manager is a bully and consistently belittles her staff. If you like being talked down to like a child, than you’ll like this job. Many unsafe practices happen here and nobody seems to care. You never really know what you’re doing as one manager will tell you one thing, and another will tell you something completely different. There’s a lot of pressure to fulfill quotas and if quota is not met, they will make you work on your day off to make up for it, often with very little notice. The only real benefit is the friendships you make along the way.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Store manager, safety issues, low pay, communication between management
At the start it was nice and I was very excited to work here but slowly it just got worse and worse. First of all, the production workers enviroment is comparable to a sweat shop and the dust build up is insanely unhealthy. Sorters go through heaps of garbage, included but not limited to feces, mold, rotten food, used hygieneproducts etc. Without proper protective equipment. They frequently underpaid me and tried to argue with me on many occasions. Any and all sick days needed a doctors note and even with a note they would reef you out. Management here is horrific, every manager is on a power trip and they have no idea how to run a crew efficiently and humanely. I went home crying from this job many a time as the managers have zero sympathy or understanding and expect you to work like a robot for minimum wage.
Pros
I worked with good people but we all had the same complaints, everyone i worked with has left as well
Cons
Quite literally everything. I cannot say enough bad things about this work place.
Worst place to work. Horrible production management. Was there 2 years and they don’t appreciate a thing you do there. Constantly yelled at for not making quota and made to work the only days you had off that week if not met.
Pros
Cons
Awful management
The managers are incredibly rude to both staff and customers, and racially profile potential shoplifters. They do not pay well enough for the physical and mental toll that the job takes.
I learned that doing something as small as helping them find the perfect outfit to wear can go a long way. I experienced wonderful programs and events that changed my perspective of thrifting.
Pros
Free Lunches on sale days, Friendly staff
Cons
Allergens
Dont do it unless you want to be treated like a number. Min wage with factory quota expectations. Virtually a sweatshop.
They utilize the recycling and charity model but it's all about profit profit profit.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Production Supervisor: Daily reports, schedules, training staff, coaching. Making sure that company protocols and policies are applied on a daily basis.Running hourly, daily, weekly and monthly reports to hit quotas. Problem solving daily and making sure that all staff of 25 plus are properly trained and understand their daily job duties.
Friendly team members and lively atmosphere. The day goes by quick. Certain managment not so professional. You are constantly busy during shift..busy.
Pros
Friendly team members
Cons
On your feet the whole shift
It is a really good place to get your first job at, the management and employees are all very helpful and collaborative and will help you out whenever you need them to, fairly paid, etc
The staff definitely made it feel like home. The management on the other hand was very unstable, they constantly kept loosing good supervisors and hiring new ones. A lot of the people who end up in management realize that their just given more work for not that much of a raise.
Pros
Discounts on clothes ( I was a fashion student at the time)
Cons
No free meals on horrific sale days
For how little you get paid the expectations are ridiculous. Management treated staff poorly and didn't really care about work/life balance like they claim.
I operate cash registers and fitting rooms and help with general upkeep of the storefront throughout a shift. Managers are very kind and allow you to be independent. I enjoy the community and the store-regulars.
Pros
Discounted clothing
Cons
Fast-paced during holidays & sale days
Team members were extremely collaborative and intent on delivering the best customer service. Management was friendly, sociable, and receptive to team member concerns/questions/comments. High-stress environment can make for difficult and exhausting work days, however. Overall, a wonderful job.
working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.
I was often expected to work beyond shift time, working a total of 50+ hours a week, only 40 of which I received compensation. For the amount of remuneration and support I was offered, I don't think it was worth the work or stress of the job. Management is also condescending, sarcastic and unsupportive of work-life balance and mental health. Many people tried to report upper management for how they conducted themselves, but due to most interactions being in person with no physical evidence, the complaints were dismissed.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Value Village. Our community is ready to answer.