Savers/Value Village Employee Reviews

Found 1,069 reviews matching the search See all 2,823 reviews
Not a very nice place to work
Community Donation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON12 November 2019
Toxic work environment. Too much drama between employees and managemant unfair to situations that arise. Management does not help with advancemant of employees, as policies and procedures work against employees on a daily basis.
Five supervisors, no supervision
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 November 2019
Don't work here. If you're good at your job, they'll bog you down with so much work that you physically cannot stay ahead, then berate you for falling behind. When the forklift broke down, they told me to push it. When it was my turn for lunch, I had to ask three supervisors (who were doing nothing except chatting) before they sent a replacement. Every day.
Management sucks
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 November 2019
There have been countless times that management has screwed over their staff. Whether it’s cutting hours, or writing you up for being late by 1 minute or sick for a day, they are right there to make your life miserable. The life will be sucked from you if you start working here.
Poor Management and even Worse Customers
Operations (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 November 2019
Working for Savers/Value Village has been a huge learning experience. Some retail jobs are just harder than others, and while not physically demanding, working the front is mentally and emotionally draining. Customers are usually rude and uncooperative and the management can never agree. Overall, bad work experience.
Fun, Creative, Stressful
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 November 2019
Overall was a fun place to work. Loved being there for Halloween because you got to dress up in costumes basically the whole month. Lots of busy days and lots of downtime to. best part was how fast days went when busy. Loved sale days. Worst part is how many shoplifters come in daily.
Don’t work at the danforth location!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East York, ON5 November 2019
I’m sure VV can be a decent place to work but it really depends on coworkers and the type of mangers you end up with.. this makes or breaks the experience. The only pluses are the employees discount and paid vacation after 1 year even for part timers
Poor Workplace
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON3 November 2019
Managers need to be trained better. Everyone has a negative attitude, the only way you will make it working at this company is if you become friends with the 4 people who are not horrible. Managers have a horrible attitude everyone talks about each other. Overall you don't feel like your job is a safe place.
Very good retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON3 November 2019
If someone is looking for a good retail job, this is definitely one. It's very different than average retail stores, but still has the restrictions of a big corporate company. Lots and lots of restrictions, but things like the dress code are laxer than other places. Some days can be extremely busy, and others it feels like there is nothing to do, so if you're okay with inconsistency, then it's not that bad. You win some, you lose some.
Value village
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2019
Toxic environment, false promises for advancement, favoritism for those who do not deserve promotions, low pay rate, cold working conditions , stressful pressure by management to meet unrealistic quotas , always understaffed
It's okay for a starting job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 October 2019
They'll move you around to different duties around the store and expect you to somehow do 5 different things at once. Most of the customers will treat you poorly since it's a thrift store. The main thing is the hours are pretty flexible.

Good job if you're just getting out of school and need income.
Lots of friendly staff/ co workers/ unbalanced schedules, last minute changes.
CDC Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 October 2019
Working at value village was a great experience there were some pros and cons like any other normal jobs would have. The worse part was the last minute schedule changes. I got to meet and work with many friendly staff members from production and my own people from the donation centre. However, the management always does our schedules the last minute which needs to change. Cause it makes working there a lot harder. The donors are amazing and friendly. They are kind. Overall it was a great experience meeting new people and having friendly staff.
Don’t work here.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB30 October 2019
I have nothing good to say about this company except that the discount was pretty awesome and so are the people. That’s really the only reason I stayed. You get in trouble for taking on too much work when you have no choice but to because they’re too busy to hire.
Management is terrible, work environment is toxic
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB28 October 2019
Not worth working here, they stress you out until you have a full on breakdown and then they won't do anything about it except ignore you. They'll laugh in your face if you tell them you've faced discrimination.
Pros
Sometimes you get food
Cons
Everything else.
Fun work place and a very nice team member.
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lansdowne, ON27 October 2019
Work in value village is fun, I like it. And the team members are so positive.some times it is supper busy, but it's okay.
Occasionally, the management is not fair.and I love our customers.
Pros
50% off for clothes and 30% off for house ware items
Cons
Sometimes the managements are not fair.
Terrible place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS27 October 2019
They tell you get bonuses,they make it impossible,tell you if you get another job you have 30 days to return, never seen it happen, management don't know what's going on or pretend not to.They talk safety but talk is cheap,and never get hurt at work you will be gone when you get back,or they will make it so your forced to quit.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
terrible place to work.work hard no thanks, no money
Too many supervisors but good for a short term applicant.
Production (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON26 October 2019
Too many supervisors. Constantly was told to do different things at the same time. Management does not co-operate well together. Management works well with availability but does not incorporate the amount of hours given. Enjoyed the job and would recommend for a short term job.
Everybody acts as supervisor
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC24 October 2019
The main problem in Vallue Village united Boulevard on Coquitlam is that no body want to do their job, every body want’s to stay as a cashier, the supervisors doesn't have control about to the employees, they don’t like to roll they expend their time doing nothing . They have preferences about some employees.
This store is an a complete caos.
Pros
The main manager is nice
Cons
They select lacy people
Can be very difficult to consult management, depending on where you are located.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2019
I personally worked at the Rogers rd. site and once they switched management it made the job impossible to keep. There was a front end supervisor harassing me and when I tried to tell management I was ignored. Sadly, that being said I decided to leave Value village and continue with my studies as my main focus. I look forward to a better job hopefully as rewarding as this one first was.
Pros
Workplace employee to employee dynamic.
Cons
Long hours, physically demanding, terrible management
Unfair treatment
Production (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON23 October 2019
Unfair treatment, theres alot of favoritism at the Chatham Value Village. And they allow employees to get bullied, then fore them for using then open door policy
Pros
Made a few good friends despite
Cons
Being Bullied my fellow emplyees, and unfair termination
A great team to work with
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2019
What I love most about working here is that everyone is so friendly and there absolutely no drama or animosity between anyone! The work itself is rarely stressful and it's overall a great place to work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savers/Value Village. Our community is ready to answer.