Value Village

Canada1,539 reviews

Found 1,539 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,936 reviews

Insights into Value Village

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Value Village is alright

Value village is okay, it’s fun to work with the clothing and put it on the floor, rolling can be strenuous especially when you’re the only one doing it all day.

Hostile work place no communication unappreciated underpaid

Seasoned employees that harass new employees and new managers. Seasoned employees run the show. No respect given to new employees toxic work place.No work life balance. Bad management. Management constantly changing no clear job description.

Fun and supportive workplace

good first job. The community was very friendly and nice. As a highschool student, it is the perfect place to work at. The workload isn't too stressful and its easy to balance work and social lfie

Bad management/ Good people

The people I worked side by side with were awesome but the pay, benefits and the work it’s self was not great. Management had high expectations but never rewarded any one who wasn’t brown nosing.

Pros

Cons

Pay, Work conditions

Fast-paced environment with good management

The Cyrville location at Value Village is typically a busy store with plenty of small tasks to do as well as a management team well-trained to offer support to their team.

Mauvaise gestion

La gestion de la gérante détruit complètement l'asphère du magasin.

Good entry-level retail job

The job consists mostly of cashier work, cleaning the store during/after business hours, and putting away racks of new merchandise, usually clothes when you start. Fast-paced, often stressful work when the store is busy. Occasionally you would get sent home early on slow days. Very flexible scheduling, although there was no online system for viewing your schedule. They were individually distributed weekly on little slips of paper during one of your shifts. The coworkers were good people, which made the work a lot easier.

Management is a joke

Basically a sweatshop, workers are overworked and expected to hit unreasonable quotas. Management is garbage and needs to be revised. Truly truly is a joke working there, trust me, anywhere is better then here.

Cons

A great place to work if you are a sociopath

Management cared nothing for the wellbeing of their employees. Upper management told me to stop helping my team and abandon them. I was floored. Quit that afternoon.

toxic work environment, poor managment, good discount

extremely toxic work environment that management does nothing about. the turn over rate at this place is the biggest I've ever seen. it's really sad because during my time there, they lost some of their best employees all because they weren't treated fairly or they were being bullied by management. it's a fun job but the bad far outweighs the good. just don't waste your time.

Terrible place afford at all costs. Run away as fast as your legs will carry you

Beware. Worst place to work ever. Omg there in and out rate is horrible. Run run run run run run run run run away so fast you can't see anything around you.

Pros

Cons

Run away fast

difficult management but great coworkers

management likes to micro manage you and hours are never stable, however the coworkers are really nice, it is fun to work with them. There's no room for advancement.

Pros

friendly coworkers

Cons

management

Fun place to work with room for growth

I have learned a lot from working here and made lots of friends. Every day is different. There is room for advancement and I have learned a lot about recycling and helping others.

labour intensive

With staff not showing up it makes the job harder for the ones that do show up. Even though the daily targets are lowered if you do more than one job, still feel pressure to out preform. Did not get a raise for my 1 year anniversary due to the restructuring of the grade/pay levels and covid. But now, my grade wage is just minimum. I am a grade 3 which should be making more than the average person walking in off the street. Very dissapointed. My job is very labour intensive and now I am doing 2 jobs as no one wants to work.

benefits

Cons

compared to other production jobs, very underpaid

Amazing (if you are a student)

I can only speak from the perspective of a University Student with no family to support, but I found this job amazing. Management and coworkers made it a very safe and friendly space. Job is quite easy and low stress although customers can be rude and demanding. I got hired during a very busy time and got little training but everyone was patient and I learned the ropes quickly. They also will let you return if you leave on good terms for another opportunity like a summer job/internship

Dirty work low pay

Work was dirty and pay was low. It was backbreaking. People think they are donating to a charity but it is a for profit business. They throw out good merchandise that doesnt sell because it is priced too high.

Don't waste your time here

Good place to work if you have nowhere else to go. I worked for the company for a long time, I know how they work. The employees are usually really good. Supervisors are hit or miss. Store managers do not care about anything except the company image and high profits. They do not care about wages or safety whatsoever. The last store I worked at consistently defied their own safety standards for selling hazardous items such as paint, cleaners, butane, lighter fluid etc. If you're lucky with good Supervisors, it's not terrible. They are usually pretty flexible with days off, however they will work you to the bone and expect you to be available for every shift. VV as a company has become a target for drug addicts, homeless, and shoplifters. One more reason not to work here. Again, all depends which store and the management. But my experiences have been terrible. 12 years with the company. I am no longer there.

its good as part time as a college student

I work in the front as a cashier. For a part time as a college student it is pretty good you dont need to worry about work after clocking out. Management really emphasizes in clubcard sign ups. I like it.

decent job

Regardless of who's in charge it seems, management just don't care about their employees. But the employees are Always -and I've worked there many years- the best groups of people, and the diversity is wonderful. Discounts are sweet as well. Otherwise it's just another retail job.

Typical Retail Environment

Pretty normal for a retail job. Production in the back was much better for balancing work/life, because the hours are fixed and you got weekends off. Most of the managers were understanding, but some of the upper management hadn't been on the floor recently enough to know what was going on, sometimes the quotas were ridiculous. Theres a high turnover, so if you stick around there's definitely opportunity to move up into higher roles. There was quite a bit of drama between cashiers, but not so much in the back. They were decently accommodating with hours and time off.

Productive and fun

Great place to work for high school students needing a place to earn money. Pretty easy and some days can be more laid back then the others. They listen to your availability, sorta.

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement