Value Village
Coronavirus update

Value Village Employee Reviews

Canada1,392 reviews
Found 1,392 reviews matching the search
Value was a good experience since we had to deal with a lot, but Id see team members including me run back and fourth getting injured and feeling exhausted just to be treated like we were nothing by the customers. Most team members and female manager/supervisor had to deal with a lot of terrible customers while the male manager/CEO didn't face much. being payed minimum wage for 8 hours a day after we run everywhere, deal with everything during a really busy day while understaffed wasn't fun. The management have to start listening to us since sometimes people who work there dont due their jobs.
Pros
Good co workers, good experience
Cons
Customers, management, safety and health of the team members, stressful
Management is awful. They don't care about how you feel. I was hired and only told after I started it was part time. I never applied for part time. I applied for full time. They told me they don't hire full time which is a lie.

Would never recommend this company to anyone, ever.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Management, everything.
fun place to work with plenty of interesting people and staff, scheduling can be really tight at times but overall I would really recommend them! Make sure you know what you'll be doing, I have been moved over from a cashier to a cleaner which wasn't what I was expecting upon return to work.
Pros
Great Work environment, understanding managers, fun place to work
Cons
tight scheduling
It's a good place to work as a first job. It can get stressful on their sale days or working in production. When I worked there they had no security to keep the front workers safe. There were a lot of times something would happen and we as people who worked there wanted security to feel safe at work. The only good thing about working at value village is your team members.
Pros
On sale days they give you free lunch
Cons
Lack of safety for the employees
production management won't praise you for a good job just writes you up for tiny mistakes. Has favorite employees who get away with anything. Belittles you if you're still learning. Production supervisors are the only saving grace
Pros
Supportive supervisors. And half price clothing
Cons
Upper management is the reason all the negative ratings are the same. Even though their from people all over Canada. If they cared about the general staff, so would the lower management. It all trickles down. You eventually will feel what it means to be exploited. You forget you are doing a job and expect payment in return. They will soon make you feel you owe them.
Pros
You will learn to know how you don't want to be treated.
Cons
Supervisors are encouraged to stand behind you, while working to intimidate employees to work faster.
Good managment/supervisors were hard to find. Bullying, lack of professionalism with a " Don't like it leave" attitude. Lunchrooms were disgusting, moldy food, ants and filthy basic cleanliness should be a standard.

Be aware if you end up on the table you could be poked with a needle, sorting through feces and urine soaked donations for minimum wage, maybe dollR more after a few years.
Pros
kind co-workers, mondays to friday in production
Cons
Cut hours after october, micromanagement, unclean
Typical start to a shift would be speaking with the manager on duty and keep up too date with any specials going on as to let the costumer know. When not on main till, the sales floor would need general recovery; along with assisting in the fitting room and rolling racks and putting clothing back in it's respectful place for the next customer. No matter what the duty was there is always something to do, doing washroom checks, both men/woman and the employee bathrooms.
Pros
Appreciation lunches, company parties i.e Christmas
Cons
Not enough Halloween coordinator's during the season
I like work value village again
I think all members value village team worked and friendly and manager is strong and good, also supervisors hard work in the wear house
Pros
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Value Village?
You move heavy materials from dirty bins and sort them out. This is a really rough job and all you do is stand up all day. Moving all the time - fast fast and fast. For minimum wages??? Look elsewhere!!!
Pros
Weekdays only
Cons
DUST Bed Bugs and miserable staff. Managers are rich, mean and do nothing.
management sucks all they care about is themselves and bonuses at the end of the year. I believe a change in management will allow them to be a better place of work. This has been my worst experience ever.
Management constantly pushing production members for numbers that aren't possible with the amount of employees they have. They keep raising numbers to almost be what production would normally process but with only half of the team members we had pre covid. Two of our production managers are rude beyond what any employer should get away with with one of them saying increasingly more racist things towards people. Dont work here, ever
Pros
Benefits for production members, if your in operations (cashier or cdc) then good luck because it doesnt happen.
Cons
They treat you like a number, arent willing to help work with your schedule, benefits are a joke, management is poor, management is poor, management is poor
I have a feeling the positive reviews for VV most likely came from people who weren't there long enough to be exploited and run into the ground.

If you're there for a while, you'll see that store policies are undeniably disconnected from the reality of working with the public. It will become painfully obvious that someone who has never actually worked your job is writing the policies for your job. You'll also notice that nothing ever runs smoothly because they are constantly purposefully short-staffing you as a means of saving money. Front end staff almost always take the brunt of the fallout for this while managers are out buying lollipops for production.

Since working at vv, I've seen staff (even supervisors) bullied out of their jobs. I've seen hardworking, pleasant people pushed to the point of walking out mid-shift. I've seen blatant favouritism between front end/production staff. Oh, and it's also a common practice to keep supervisors beyond their scheduled hours and not pay them. This seems borderline criminal. But that's vv, always riding that line and doing the bare minimum to keep the doors open.

Suffice it to say it's not at all surprising that customers are unsatisfied. Earlier this year we were informed that vv has been getting a lot of negative feedback on customer experience. My experience in actually working with value village customers tells me this feedback is related to our insane pricing, or the effects of overworking and under-appreciating the face of the company (front end staff). Their response was to retrain everyone in customer service rather
 - more...
Pros
fellow employees are great people, supervisors are accessible and easy to communicate with
Cons
hours are all over the place unless you're production, management won't honour days that you book off, prepare to do the job of 10 people for the price of 1/2 a person
The store manager is a bully and consistently belittles her staff. If you like being talked down to like a child, than you’ll like this job. Many unsafe practices happen here and nobody seems to care. You never really know what you’re doing as one manager will tell you one thing, and another will tell you something completely different. There’s a lot of pressure to fulfill quotas and if quota is not met, they will make you work on your day off to make up for it, often with very little notice. The only real benefit is the friendships you make along the way.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Store manager, safety issues, low pay, communication between management
At the start it was nice and I was very excited to work here but slowly it just got worse and worse. First of all, the production workers enviroment is comparable to a sweat shop and the dust build up is insanely unhealthy. Sorters go through heaps of garbage, included but not limited to feces, mold, rotten food, used hygieneproducts etc. Without proper protective equipment. They frequently underpaid me and tried to argue with me on many occasions. Any and all sick days needed a doctors note and even with a note they would reef you out. Management here is horrific, every manager is on a power trip and they have no idea how to run a crew efficiently and humanely. I went home crying from this job many a time as the managers have zero sympathy or understanding and expect you to work like a robot for minimum wage.
Pros
I worked with good people but we all had the same complaints, everyone i worked with has left as well
Cons
Quite literally everything. I cannot say enough bad things about this work place.
Worst place to work. Horrible production management. Was there 2 years and they don’t appreciate a thing you do there. Constantly yelled at for not making quota and made to work the only days you had off that week if not met.
Pros
Cons
Awful management
The managers are incredibly rude to both staff and customers, and racially profile potential shoplifters. They do not pay well enough for the physical and mental toll that the job takes.
I learned that doing something as small as helping them find the perfect outfit to wear can go a long way. I experienced wonderful programs and events that changed my perspective of thrifting.
Pros
Free Lunches on sale days, Friendly staff
Cons
Allergens
Dont do it unless you want to be treated like a number. Min wage with factory quota expectations. Virtually a sweatshop.
They utilize the recycling and charity model but it's all about profit profit profit.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager was great but they’re was definitely favourite and seniority between certain supervisors and staff members. Always cut shifts early so even if you are full time you aren’t making full time hours. Good discount. A lot of back talking between staff members and a lot of drama.
Production Supervisor: Daily reports, schedules, training staff, coaching. Making sure that company protocols and policies are applied on a daily basis.Running hourly, daily, weekly and monthly reports to hit quotas. Problem solving daily and making sure that all staff of 25 plus are properly trained and understand their daily job duties.