Savers/Value Village Employee Reviews

Found 798 reviews matching the search See all 2,163 reviews
a lot of promises not kept
RETAIL SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Calgary17 September 2019
The team of people who work there are amazing, the manager is not. the company is not about it's people, but is now all about the corporate atmosphere.
Pros
team members
Cons
expectations from management
No help for team member.
CDC Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 September 2019
They dont care teem members. I was requested for a job letter they can't provid me .because ofnthis letters i don't get my OHIP.
I talk to my supervisor manager and hr no one help me .
(I feel its only a business not for helping each other)
Starter job
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ontario11 September 2019
Coworkers are usually friendly. Management is typically nice when you start but over time becomes rude and don’t care as much about how they treat you. Rules are not followed as they should be and they don’t treat everyone equally. Example being newer employees get treated better and are able to do more than people who have been there a long time. An alright place as a starter job but not an ideal full time job at all.
Pros
It’s a job and you get paid
Cons
Disrespectful team members and management
Productive and good customer connection
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC11 September 2019
Atypical day involved receiving merchandize and entering them in inventory system. Making sure that clients receive exceptional Customer service from the time they enter the store to the time they leave. Maximizing and keeping truck of sales per hour to avoid high costs of labour. Enjoyed connecting with customers both new and old ones.
Pros
Associate discounts
Waste of a day.
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  venables11 September 2019
I had an appointment schedule for an interview. I was told there were part-time positions available as well as a part-time position for a driver, but when I arrived for the interview I was told there are no part time positions available. I travelled from Burnaby to to Vancouver and spent a some of travel time for a 5 second Hi and Bye. It was very unprofessional and unorganized as the manager there was unaware of the interview at the Venables location. It was a very disappointing morning and I hope in the future they can do better.
Pros
None so far.
Cons
Mis-information
great company
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON11 September 2019
I am a production worker. i put price tags on clothing. then i sort it my size etc, then roll the rack to the floor and put clothing out. the benefits are amazing.
benefits
Cons
nil
One of the best workplaces I have worked
Production Team Member (Current Employee) –  London, ON8 September 2019
With the majority of workplaces I have been to, here is great atmosphere. I connected with co-workers as well as with the management. It is like working with family away from home. They worked along with me when I had health/family situations. They guide you to better success within the workplace rather then making you feel bad that you couldn't do something. They try to promote and make you feel like every accomplishment matters (which it should, but not all workplaces do this). I enjoy working here with how much they try their best to recycle everything. I find the hardest part is being on your feet all day when you start, get comfy shoes for walking/standing all day.
Community Donation Centre (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2019
Good team, good processes. Rewarding work. After 3 years with the company I can say that they have good management and a positive work environment. Busy environment and fast paced job.
Fast paced environment that takes attention to detail.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 September 2019
Generally each day begins promptly, however tools are not always provided. Management is not always proactive and often leaves staff wandering around to get their needs met to complete their job description. There are opportunities for cross training and that helps prevent being stagnant in one area.
Good starting job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2019
Value village is a great place. Good to start out. The customers can be weird but hey, that's to be expected. Will definitely come out of this job with some funny stories.
Accepting Workplace Culture; Meaningful Work
Front of Store Team Member (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK29 August 2019
Working in front of store is fun overall. There is so much to do every day that the time passes very quickly. The job is rarely boring because you get to do lots of different things -- but none are inevitable, so you don't just get to do what you like. You have to go where you're summoned. When you work at the til, you have to make a certain amount of people sign up, and I didn't really like the pressure of that, but everything else was actually pretty exciting. The management is really encouraging and open to questions. Teamwork is huge, so you can rely on anyone working there to have your back or answer your questions, even if you've never met them.

It feels good to know that in a small way, you are helping the environment and a local charity, as well. Out of the dozens of people I worked with, almost everyone was friendly, upbeat, and encouraging. The added bonus is that you get to dress up all October for Halloween -- so that's fun.
Productive and fun workplace
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 August 2019
A typical day at work would start off very busy with housekeeping books area from previous night. Place was usually busy with interaction from customers who showed a lot of interest in books and media. I learned a lot about production and having to meet quotas with tight deadlines. Management were very interactive and supportive. The workplace culture was multicultural and everyone got along during work as well as lunch and during breaks. The hardest part of the job was sometimes rushing to make quotas and the most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers and colleagues.
Pros
Dressing up in Halloween Costumes
Cons
Not enough hours
First Job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 August 2019
This was my very first job and they really take the time to train you properly. It was a fun environment and very accepting. I would recommenced it to lots of people to work there.
Productive wnd fun workplace
Roller, Sorter (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 August 2019
Had group meetings every morning with our coffees. Felt like working with a huge family. Always had a smile on my face and had fun working and interacting with customers.
trash
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 August 2019
career i would reccomend to avoid this employer. Great people to work with and 50% off merchandise and free pizza on sale days and free christmas meals. Aside from all that they treat the employees like slaves, give lackluster and leave stores untidy and constant complaints from customers. VERY HIGH TURN OVER RATE!!
Cons
lack of hours
Bad Management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC22 August 2019
Good job most of the employees were great. Management was horrible, never knew what you were walking into. One day the manager would talk to you, the next she wouldn't. Lots of mind games, lies and favouritism. If you are someone that brown noses and kisses up to the boss you will do well. She loved that. Wrong people in the wrong positions. It's too bad that most of the management team had no idea what they were doing and that was because of the store manager , she didn't want to give away any of her power. She was the only one that was ever right.
productive place to work
Soft goods, grader merchandizer (Former Employee) –  1666 spruce street21 August 2019
good benefits must be team player to work there and good customer experience as well as they train you so you are know so what you are doing as well as opportunity to grow with in company
First job, not bad
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 August 2019
The number of shifts I worked would change as they need me, and on average I'd get an on-call every other week. Employees were nice, had a mix between younger and older folks. Management was good, although we had some troubles with the previous management. All in all, an enjoyable place to work in the short to medium term.
good employees
Cashier, charitable (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON19 August 2019
lots of skills to be learned friendly environment. easy to get along with the store managers. production management will take advantage when she can. good place to work if building a resume not a good long term job
Not amazing.
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2019
Worked at lethbridge store 4 yrs, loved it! Calgary's chinook store is terrible. Very unsafe, messy, disorganized production room. Prod. Manager is very disconnected from her employees and avoids telling you straight up and throws her supervisors under the bus to avoid looking like the bad guy. The quotas the company expects from their employees is ridiculous, especially for the housewares team. Everyone who works there is in a constant state of stress and anxiety and it is over all a unsatisfactory place to work. Not to mention they most likely will pay you just above minimum wage for a 40+ hour a week job that you have to work your butt off everyday in fear of getting written up or fired.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Low pay for work load.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savers/Value Village. Our community is ready to answer.