Savers Employee Reviews

Found 740 reviews matching the search See all 2,183 reviews
An honest job for no-nonsense hard working people.
Merchandise Sorter (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 January 2019
Was a merch sorter so I was mainly at the back going through donated goods and getting rid of "junk" (literally some people used to just give rubbish? very sad!)
Pretty awesome job if you like going through mystery bags and finding interesting / cool things to sell. Quite demanding on hands (I ended up getting mild RSI but nothing to complain about) and on your feet all day so you need to be relatively fit for this job.
Everyone that worked here were down to earth and friendly and management were great, couldn't say anything bad about them. Sometimes we even got free pizza lunches and breakfasts too, this was awesome! Shame I had to leave due to starting full time education.
Great Company with advancement opportunities
Edmonton Area - Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2019
Gained valuable Management experience with a company that gives back to the community in many ways. Good advancement opportunities and solid Management teams at the various Edmonton and area locations.
Not recommended place to work at
CDC Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON8 January 2019
The management is a joke and severely undertrained, they blame workers for all their mistakes. They promote people with in, yes however only if you are a huge SUCK UP. For example they promoted a 22 year old who was there for 2 weeks to a supervisor role, not off of his skills but because he was laughing with them and following them around the store, not working by the way. Meanwhile all the hard workers weren't ever told they were doing a good job regardless if they stayed for a few hours longer not paid to help the store out. The store also has 4-6 supervisors and one manager when you only need 1 or 2 supervisors, gets confusing when they all tell you to do different things at the same time and get mad when you can't complete them, when you confront them they refuse to believe its there fault but will turn it on you and get you into trouble. I highly un recommend this place for it's toxic environment.
Summed up as a pit
Community Donation Collector (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON8 January 2019
The store was always dirty, management cared little if at all for employees. Customers were always right and it showed in the behavior of the both them and upper management. Was impossible to achieve full time, thus no benefits.
Never work here.
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 January 2019
Absolutely the worst place to work. Rude and abusive management. Management screams at workers and are derogatory. This is not how people should be treated at a workplace.
Pros
Cons
Abusive management
Questionable job, fantastic people - at least at the store where i was at
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 December 2018
I have personally learned how to be a productive employee and individual and grew as a person over my long service to Value Village. The work culture is at times clique-y but depending on your department is very welcoming.
Learning and Time motivating
Student (Current Employee) –  Pakistan11 December 2018
I am looking for the part time job where i find this company as better place to work more faster.
this is best opportunity to work in good environment.
Loud, yet productive workplace
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON10 December 2018
a typical day at work is coming in at 7:30 am, usually "rolling" clothes that were left from the previous day and then going to do your job, whether it be grader, roller, or working with the machines. some of the people there are very nice and others HATED being there and just needed money to survive. I must say the people i worked with made work a little bit more enjoyable. overall management isnt really understanding at all,and they seemed confused sometimes the most enjoyable part of the job is your 30 minute lunch, which is not paid either. the hardest part of the job is the constant standing in one spot. The actual work is not hard to do at all, and its a good place to be at for a couple months but for only 14/hr it isnt a "forever" job. I suggest buying high quality shoe soles if youre interested in working in the back as production.
Pros
weeks go by fast because you dont realise how long you've been standing
Cons
long hours, pay, management, short breaks, stress on the body
very good experience
Customer Service, Cashier, Halloween Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2018
Very good experience, good environment with the crew members on the sale floor, working with different cultural team, the environment at work very diverse.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 December 2018
DId not appreciate well for the hard work I had put into this company, even though a lot of work was done on the computer, but the management could use some upgrade.
Pros
Free COffee
Cons
Multi tasking at its highest
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC2 December 2018
Very fast paced place to work. Not a lot of appreciation for the work you do.
I have heard management changed recently, so perhaps the negative environment has changed too, maybe give it a chance now.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Hard to get a day off if you are sick
Overall Perception of the company
Cashier/Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
During my 3 years working for the company, I felt that the company was very unprofessional. It was very hard to communicate with Management. Never listened to suggestion or inputs on how to improve the company.
Cashier , Fitting Rooms
Halloween Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 November 2018
This was my first job and i learned alot . It was that little push to get me out of my shell. I got to interact with a variety of people and build my customer service skills. The environment was okay i put up with and did more than i got paid for. i did not enjoy having oncalls because it did not give me any chance to have a life. The most enjoyable part at this job was having fun with my coworkers making customers laugh and finding cool pieces.
Awesome atmosphere
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 November 2018
Over all great environment to work in, co-workers are amazing. Everyone is super helpful with new hires and ensuring that they know what to do and when to do it.
Management leaves much to be desired. Distinct lack of communication between management and between management and employees.
Hardest part of the job is lack of security, scheduled hours fluctuate with little or no notice and scheduled hours are not guaranteed. Front end is strictly part time, and you are frequently (daily) sent home early.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Constantly sent home early
Life in Savers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC22 November 2018
Work here for a couple of months, i meet the sweetest peoples and they are really helpful! Plus the formation was excellent. You stay up all day but you always walking so that's fine!
An alright place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 November 2018
I was simply working here because I needed a job, I didn't enjoy the work that I did very much and the hours were not very good either. It didn't seem like I was going anywhere.
Pros
More breaks than other workplaces
Cons
Bad hours
Great Job Loved the work and everything about it except management
Recycler (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 November 2018
I used to wake up and love going to work , management was poor and they made sure you felt like you were smaller then them . Their were a lot of good days but near the end the bad just outweighed the good . It was starting to be to much for even my young family, they all say family comes first but when the bottom dollar was involved Nothing really mattered. The management sucks the goodness and the hard work ethics out of young people because they want too or whatever the case may be . It'll always be a mystery now.
Pros
Great co workers pretty fast pace, profit sharing, christmas dinners
Cons
poor management, short hours for full time, worked randmom sundays, curtain people didnt get schedules, made stay late by the end of the shift without being discussed with first
Absolutely loved the environment and the team members I had working for me were like family.
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK19 November 2018
Once promoted to Production Manager a typical day was very busy, first thing in the morning was making sure that all the team members have done am stretch and then are in their dept. doing morning maintenance which is every item on the sales floor is put back in the proper dept. After am maintenance the team starts to produce their items and putting 4-8000 items to the sales floor in a 8 hour day.
I would have to check merchandise prices and work/train team members into other departments. I also completed annual reviews and handled merit increases. I also planned fun activities and tried to retain Team Members in a production room which was apparently hard but my 1st year I had retained 87% of my team.
Pros
All the bonuses and how accommodating the company is
Cons
Not being able to go back down to a team member after being in management
Fun staff and great memories.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 November 2018
A typical day at work involves going in and seeing what position I'm working today. Then according to the job I'm assigned to I go and get the things ready for it.
- If I'm on a cash register for the day I go and get the cash master and count the till before I start taking customers so me and my managers know how much I started with in case any moneys lost in the day. When customers come to cash out I handle their merchandise with care and pack it away in a bag for them. I handle money at least 70% of the time at work so you have to be efficient and smart with it. keeping you focus not only on the cash but the customers as well.
-If I'm out on the floor for the day then that usually means I'm "GR" which refers to as General Recovery, it's basically cleaning up the messy clothes, toys, bed sheets, and books that customers neglected throughout the day. I not only organize and make sure the stores in its tip top shape but I also help customers on the sales for as I'm the most accessible to them. My position for the day is very important because customers like to come into an organized, clean, welcoming store, no one wants to be tripping on clothes throughout the day. PS. this was my favorite part of the job because I LOVE organizing and cleaning.
- Lastly, the 3rd job I do frequently is Fitting Rooms. In fitting rooms I'm one of the last stops before cash out for them. I'm the make-it or break-it girl. The customers come to my section to try on the merchandise they've found during the day and to decide whether or not they should get it. I love helping them when they want
  more... it and giving a nice little comment in between when they're looking great! Everyone loves a good compliment. Another part of that section that is the main focus is the organizing of it. When customers don't want clothing anymore they give it to me. I organize it according to the layout of the store and then roll it out when it's full. Always making sure the most eye catching items are back out on the floor for the next person to grab.

This was my first job and I think it's taught me a lot of the basics of being a sales associate. I used to have really bad anxiety with talking to people but now it's one of the easiest things I can do. I've also become a lot better at managing my time. All my friends and family ask me to plan events and trips because I've become so good at it.

Everyone who works there is a great person. It's a friendly place and it doesn't stress you out much, unless it's a sale day. We're a team and I think the whole staff needs to work as a team to be able to move as smooth and efficient as possible.

Management here could be better. I think this is one of the main reasons I'm quitting. The team is lovely, the managers are kind and caring but it's very unorganized and unprofessional at times. Doctors notes lost, complications with team members swept under the rug and nothing done about it, no sense of superiority between sales associate and manager, I feel like there's no respect or professionalism between a lot of the team members here, as well as managers scheduling multiple team members days they're not available (I can't work 2 days out of the week due to classes I have all day).
Pros
great staff, 3 1/2 I get a 15min paid break and 5 I get a 30 lunch.
Cons
Scheduled on days I'm N/A, management is poor, unprofessional at times
Productive and hard working place to work
CDC - Community Donation Centre Rep (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 November 2018
Company pushes all employees too hard and expects all work to be done with minimal staffing, I did enjoy working with the public and helping out customers.
Pros
Good manager of department very understanding
Cons
No recognition of good work other people taking the credit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savers. Our community is ready to answer.