SAVERS Employee Reviews

Really helpful to the planet and fun to work at!
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 July 2018
I learned a lot while working here and it makes you feel good to be apart of it!
There are two sections - Production and Operations - so the people who sort, price, and put out the merch, and ops is cashiering and sales associate stuff.
The back section works really hard and has quotas to meet of how much they need to get done but they have nice hours, 730-4 Mon-Fri
The front is mostly cashiering and cleaning up the store by hanging all the clothes that people pull off the hangers, more chill but you have very irregular hours, like a new schedule every week and some shifts being on call where you might not have to come in.
There are a lot of regulars who you get to know and everyone who works there is super friendly and makes you feel very welcomed.
Every few months theres bonuses and they always try and get you to succeed.
Pros
Makes you feel nice
Cons
Might have lame hours
Eco-friendly company
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  West Kelowna, BC8 July 2018
I like what this company is trying to do but needs tweaking. They sell used clothing for more than you can buy some brand new items at Walmart.
If you work production, the warehouse is very dusty and dirty. If you work in the store or warehouse be ready for bad smells. Most stores smell dirty and a bit like BO as most people don't wash their clothes before donation.
You end up in one role for quite a while. It gets extremely monotonous and tedious and can be very boring. Also doing one movement all day can lead to muscle strain and other health problems.
Pros
2 paid 15 minute breaks
Cons
dusty, dirty, smely, monotonous work
help your community
Front End Supervisor (IT) (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON5 July 2018
feel rewarded in helping your local non for profit by working for a company that is passionate about it! atmosphere is great and great place if you want to move up into management.
Pros
great benefits and environment
Cons
hours depend on season
Great staff
Production Supervisor/ CDC Lead (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 July 2018
The staff is great to work with some management is great as well it's because of one management member I am looking for a new line of work. The company is great as well .
Pros
team members
Cons
some management
Good 'core values' but safety issues are common
Operations Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2018
Company was good for some, but the safety issues and lack of training were extremely problematic.

I enjoyed the idea of working for charity, but saw that there was many things that were wasteful.

We were supposed to tell people we 'recycle' everything, when some really good products were actually discarded.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
broken equipment
Great Employees
CDC/Donation Collector (Former Employee) –  Queensborough, BC24 June 2018
The fellow employees made it enjoyable to work there, the job itself was hectic and unorganized. Communication in the store was lacking and was in need of an entire overhaul.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unorganized
Fun and positive workplace.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC24 June 2018
A very good place to work. Managers are very nice and employees are amazing to work with. Customers can sometimes be difficult to deal with. Management recognizes good employees.
Pros
awesome job
Production
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON21 June 2018
Management needs an attitude adjustment! They hang out after hours with team members and give favoritism alot. They don't believe you! They expect you to do truck 3x in a row.
Pros
When they fire you
Cons
When they hire uou
Great location, very clean and orderly
Halloween costume consultant, general (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 June 2018
the job was very well handled. lots of organization, kind and fun people. I made many friends who I still talk to and the job itself was not difficult, it was always well explained and they made sure I knew what I was doing before leaving me alone to do it.
Management and staff are wonderful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 June 2018
Job requires all day standing, bending and occasional lifting heavy boxes or bags. Attending fitting rooms, floor "clean up" and cashier duties are all part of the job. Management and staff are really friendly. Hours are flexible.
Volunteer Work
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 June 2018
It was volunteer job to get experience as a business office staff. I enjoyed working there because it was helping the new comers and abused women with housing, language and community resources. In addition, I was improving my knowledge as a administrative staff by answering phones, filing paper work, scheduling appointment and supporting peers.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
No salary
Horrible management lead to bad experience overall
Recycler (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 June 2018
The company itself has great values. However, the management team at the Medicine Hat location does not look out for their staff. The staff is treated as just another number and not human beings.
Production
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 June 2018
This is a fun place to work. Management are great. They help you as much as they can to make a better work enviroment for you Good benifits. Just the wage is to low for me. Wish i could stay. Just cant afford too
Fun in the past.... But
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
Value village when I first started was a blast, it was tough but still very fun with my amazing co-workers and bosses (supervisor's, store owner, & store manager)

but as the years went on we saw new supervisors that eventually replaced our current supervisors and a new manager/store owner. This is when things started going downhill. they reduced our hours significantly, reduced the products we had in the store such as cleaning supplies, basic needs like plastic cup and even paper towels at one point (everyone complained to get them back)

The quality check has worsen with management just caring about how much items we put out instead of actually checking the product fully to ensure its safe to purchase for our customers. Also we used to get free lunches on sale days or special events but not anymore!

the work load too is also pretty bad. Before if you were given a section then that would be your section for your whole shift, most of the times max you would get 2 sections and that lead to a clean store and a clean environment for the customers. As of today that is no longer the case. we're given multiple sections and have a lot of side things to worry about since they started cutting our hours. For example you would now get 3-5 sections plus hangers/ fitting room/cash/ showcase or where ever they want you pretty much. its a lot and too overwhelming for a part time student.

My store went from a fun,happy environment to a prison. No ones allowed to talk to one another anymore (unless the boss comes to talk with you) & our benefits from the past have been cut significantly
  more... plus the way we're treated is not acceptable.

if your really desperate for money then by all means come here, Its not that bad, The people are really nice and honestly are the only reason why i stayed for 3 years, but keep in mind that you'll most likely be on call and your hours may be all over the place from one week having 20+ hours to having only 6.
Pros
Awesome co-workers, Find some nice rare items, the employee discount
Cons
management, hours, cleanliness, cheap or no supplies, Dusty, Overwhelming
Poor management
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB8 June 2018
Working in the back was a nightmare. Managers were rude when stressed. Everything was rushed, managers don’t care about anything else than meeting their numbers for the day. Loud noises consistently and no matter what shoes you wore, your feet were gonna hurt regardless and you’d have a headache by the end of the day.
Cons
Long hours, understaffed, poor management, rude managers, unfair pay
team lead in production
Customer service/production team member (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 June 2018
Not a bad place to work, people are fairly friendly with a fast paced environment. Opportunities for advancement with bonuses and sometimes exciting contests to keep morale up. Halloween is the best time to work here.
Pros
fun staff
Cons
cramped work environments
Productive workplace
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 June 2018
A thrift store chain offering secondhand clothing, shoes, bed and bath and furniture. A for-profit, offering great quality, gently used clothing, etc.
Fun environment
Sales rep, production worker, assistant supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB31 May 2018
Savers is a fun work environment with lots of opportunity for advancement. It's hard work but simple and easy to learn and it's a very fun and positive place to be.
Pros
positive energy
Cons
Hard work
terrible would not reccomened to anyone
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 May 2018
i would not recommend this place to anyone. The management and staff at this place are horrible and they do not do anything to benefit their staff they cut corner where they can just to save a buck. terrible place to work turnover rate is insanely high and for good reason.
Pros
some of the workers
Cons
everything
Helping community
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 May 2018
It is a pride to work at Value Village. With the core values of the company, it is respectful as well as fun working for the company. Me as a people person, have always been successful at maintaining clientele. Professionally acting managers are mentors at all times, which has made me confident to accept challenges and make myself a great learner.
I am proud to be a team of Savers/Value Village.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise