Savers Employee Reviews

Found 717 reviews matching the search See all 2,109 reviews
good place with lots of oportunity
Cashier/Donation attendant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 November 2018
great company and great people at the store i worked with. there are so many different areas to work in with these stores so there is something for everyone as well as tons of areas for advacement. pay was fair and management was always professional.
Horrible.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON31 October 2018
The team was HORRIBLE. Every other month they were hiring new employees, and the new employees were getting trained by other new employees, so it was a mess, the team wasn't organized, nor did they know how to keep their at home issues AT HOME, they were always bringing it to work and putting it on other people, and always having a negative attitude and starting drama in the workplace that never got resolved. I was in high school at the time I started this job, and after the summer I was forced to quit because they were trying to get me to work during the school day, and after telling them countless times I can't work until I'm off school, they still scheduled me for morning shifts, so I was constantly calling and telling them I can't make it because of school, and I ended up getting in trouble because I used up all my sick days and kept calling in BECAUSE THEY KEPT SCHEDULING ME DURING THE SCHOOL DAY. I'm just happy I found a passion for fashion and retail, not for Value Village though.
Pros
Finding a passion for fashion and retail
Cons
Almost everything about savers.
Nice co-workers not a good system running it
Recycler (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB21 October 2018
Enjoy the people i work with but management of the store is a bit chaotic. They also tell you of advancement but never follow through. Hours are put in for one reason and completely changed last minute for completely different reason.
Productive workplace
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 October 2018
Value Village offers a welcome to anyone willing to work regardless of color, ethnicity, religion or social class. It is a good place to learn work in the sales area and helps to know different cultures.
Complete training at the entrance to the company
Pros
easy access
Cons
high rotation
productive
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB15 October 2018
i learned a lot of staff, there is a lot of opportunities to grow into the company, a good support from team members and management. the most enjoyable part was bbqs.
Great co-workers, good job.
Production/Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo and Stratford, ON14 October 2018
If you can handle a fast paced, hourly targets, this is a great place to work.
The work life balance is wonderful.
I enjoyed mt time a Value Village immensely.
I viewed it as a treasure hunt everyday and learned a lot about how to recognize quality items.
Good benefits, base pay but yearly increases based on performance.
One of my favourite jobs ever, but I worked at stores with amazing bosses and co-workers.
Pros
free lunches on sale days, great employee discount, fun people
Cons
mold, dust and other, bad co workers
Crazy
Operationas (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 October 2018
Working at Value Village was CRAZY! so many thieves, and not enough security. discovering human feces from the bad people on the products. I felt unsafe there.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
hours, customers and workplace
Excellent Workplace
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 October 2018
The co-workers are super friendly
The work environment is fun
Supervisors and managers are friendly and go out of their way to help you or the customers
fun work place if working with the right management
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rexdale, ON5 October 2018
Great company to work for when things are going right. Lot's of room for growth. Atmosphere is good, when the store is fully staffed the job is easy and enjoyable. when there is a shortage in staff and management, life can get very hectic and team moral can go down. Staff are overworked and still expected to meet quotas.
Not worth the time
Production (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2018
Will hire outside rather than developing talent from within. Has different dress code for regular staff and management, fostering a intense hierarchical structure. Management does not receive effective training in professionalism and supervisory skills. At the very least, is an appropriate place to work if you have little to no job prospects absolutely anywhere else.
Pros
discount, dressing up for 2 months
Cons
everything else
Good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 October 2018
At the location I worked at everyone was friendly and helpful and still made the environment fun and welcoming, there’s a lot more to value village than ppl think
Feel good job
Recycler/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON1 October 2018
Everyone worked together to get the job done. family type feeling among the workers. Management always stepped in to help to get the job done when there was a road block
Pros
christmas party
Cons
unstable hours
Job is what you make of it, not a typical retail experience
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON1 October 2018
Team members are often cross-trained in several areas both in front of store operations and back of store production. Product is always changing, never know what you will get. Days can be unpredictable, sometimes very busy, sometimes very slow. There is always something to do, however.
Great team of people to work with. Many are very passionate about their job. Very welcoming to new people.
Job can be what you make of it. If you are willing to put in the work and have the passion for the company's mission and values, you can progress through the ranks as far as you would like to go.
Pros
great team, quarterly plus halloween bonus, room to grow
Poor Employee Treatment and Management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC1 October 2018
This is an American employer with poor standards for treatment of employees, Employees are assumed to be thieves and are expected to display personal property and bags each time they leave store to ensure they are not stealing property. Management to staff ratio on average shift is 1.5-1, staff must not talk or converse with one another and are monitored on video and called on infractions for any conversation deemed "socializing". Employees are not valued and as such there is a high volume of staff turn over. Neither Operations, nor Production staff are valued, and staff quit without notice at an average rate of 1 per week or higher. Management has a reputation in Penticton for poor treatment and rudeness to employees and employee discord is high. Advancement opportunity does not exist with 0% in-house advancement from staff to management. Employee favoritism is rampant and experience and expertise are not valued in adult or mature staff. Open door policy is not followed and complaints are not taken seriously. This company has a bad reputation as an employer for good reason, in my time working there, 8 staff left in a three month period, both in Operations and Production, myself included.
I have never worked for such poor employer with such rude, overbearing and aggressive management. Expectation of working with dirty, smelly used clothing and other items required. Cashiers are expected to clean toilets and on every shift, there is no janitorial staff and the store is filthy and disgusting. Minimum wage is not worth the hours, nor the workload expected, this is a poor place
  more... to work.  less
Pros
None, 50% discount on purchases but none permitted until item has been on floor for 3 days
Cons
No purchases until items displayed 3 days, so items are never available for purchase, no cash returns, Customers valued far more than staff
Worst place to work
Floor support (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 September 2018
In the time that I was there, I had never seen such inconsistency with policies and management. The managers are sloppy and have poor organization skills as well as they write you up for the stupidest things such as having rips in your jeans or wearing a bright colored shirt. A little while ago they changed the policy to only solid colored shirts and wrote me up for having a pink shirt. That's ridiculous as well as the one supervisor is extremely racist, sexist, and homophobic. Don't work here. It's a trap.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Inconsistent hours, poor management, racism, sexism, and homophobia.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 September 2018
very great place to work and it was not at all complicated. the workplace environment was diverse and it was very fast paced which I enjoyed very much.
Try It Out
Pricer / Trainer (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS27 September 2018
Every person is looking for something different, and this job is the perfect fit for almost anyone!! Very flexible hours, lots of different positions. Fast paced environment makes time go by very fast! :)
Low moral
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC26 September 2018
Never really cared about how workers were feeling, the production line felt overworked and rushed, no consideration for physical ailments. No thought went into work day decision making.
I worked at Value village over 5 years
PRODUCTION TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 September 2018
Value Village is a good company to work for if you are a student or retired. the culture of the company isn't the greatest and the safety standards are very bad.
Decent
CDC Ambassador/cashier (Former Employee) –  West Kelowna, BC19 September 2018
Savers company is great and I have no problems with the company itself, but the managers when I worked at value village were degrading, one told her daughter I was a druggie because I had acne and almost got me fired over it, overall amazing job fun customers, I just wish I worked in a different store
Pros
50% off soft items 30% off hard items

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savers. Our community is ready to answer.