Save the Children

Save the Children Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
I am happy work with save the children internationla
Save the children's international organization is very nice. I was happy with them. I am learning here many things. I want again to work there if they give change.
The work is volunteering related
Save the children is good organization but the challenge right now is the position am holding currently. The money is aportion in terms of transport lunch airtime etc.we cover almost 15km to reach our beneficiaries and it's done on daily basis six days a week this is some how stressful when money delays but am always resilient
Oof.
Underfunded offices and most likely a pyramid scheme. Unreliable financial records and lack of actual compassion for helping and more for personal cheques. Not a recommended.
Très bon ambiance d'équipe
j'ai vraiment aimer travailler avec cette structure qui m'a beaucoup apporté sur le plan professionnel.
Pros
J'ai pu participer à une période de travil en urgence humanitaire.
Cons
Je n'ai pas pu participer à une phase de développement.
fun and rewarding
did an internship, it was fun I got to experience a great work environment and the job came with a lot of fun travel. the workload was rewarding and I met a lot of great people
Overview
Save the Children does fantastic work around the world but do have issues with workplace culture, that they are trying to work on. It was an extremely lean organization, which makes achieving all tasks challenging. They are looking to hire to help alleviate this.
Volunteer
It was a school club. not the actual company, i had fun and I learned a lot about me a lot about being responsible and also being a group leader. The experience was one in a million, knowing that I was helping out my community made me feel accomplished.
good enviroment multicultural
Good work environment, nice staff, good talent acquisition and talent management, management is decentralized. Many things are decentralized, one of the best NGOs to work with.
Welcoming and challenging
As a contract worker, my specific role was complimented by the involvement of all staff in moving the project to a successful completion. The collaboration of staff was a definite high point and the daily challenge of keeping control of costs was a welcoming challenge.
Awesome Experience
My time with Save the Children Canada was absolutely one of the best experiences ever. The staff were wonderful and the culture is amazing. I can't say enough positive things about this organization. I am very grateful for the opportunity to have worked with them.
Pros
Cons
There are none
Interesting and Challenge work, working with multiple partner organisations and dynamic work environment
Challenge work place with supportive management.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working, learning capacity, career growth and career experience development.
Pros
Great learning environment and good career growth
Cons
The work/life balance can be tough in the beginning
NGO with emphasis on advancing child rights around the world.
Highly political emphasis compared to other NGO's, with a worthwhile cause that does advance the rights of children around the world. I learned to work in a diverse setting, where staff and management have many different political perspectives and backgrounds. I learned respect for these differences and acquired new approaches to staff and management, that accommodated their administrative support needs and objectives, and that also enhanced my role as a Receptionist.

I was exposed to a non-hierarchal style of management, that fostered expression of employees' opinions, perspective and input. This was very beneficial to the organization as a whole. Under the stewardship of a progressive, VP of Finance and Administration, I was able to take a lot of initiative and put into place, policies and procedures, that streamlined the processes for office administrative support.

I found that co-workers were generally, friendly and respective, however, there were some, who had an air of entitlement. I took the opportunity to 'bring them around' to my side. In other words, I went out of my way, to accommodate them, and in going out of my way for them, I softened their approach and established a very positive, friendly rapport with them. This was the hardest part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the exposure to a world-wide cause. I learned so much about children and their life situations around the world. I also enjoyed the day to day contact with visitor's to the organization. It gave me the chance to promote the organization and be an ambassador
 - more...
Pros
Great benefits, location, salary above market.
Cons
Uncertainty in the organization, downsizing and restructuring.
Overall rating is Excellent
I like SAVE the Children because of the job security in that i was able to break for one year and come back to my old job. They manage staff well and the job culture is perfect. Due to my roving role, sometimes there is no job work/Life balance since it is all to do with responding to emergencies.The salaries and benefits are not really bad but expect more due to the nature of work that i do-responding to first phase emergencies under difficult conditions.

I have learned a lot from SAVE the Children in the past two years in terms of improving my skills and experience as a manager, humanitarian aid worker and being able to help people in need-especially Children.

My roving role has enabled me mix well with different races all over the world, meet, work and blend well with people who have different characters and ways of working. As a result, I have been able to acquire extra ordinary skills I never expected in life.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I have to do more than just office Finance roles in a first phase emergency that includes pitching up tents to sleep in, working under a tree and attending to displaced children by playing a motherly role before setting up child friendly spaces and putting up the right staffing structures in place.
Pros
Food and accommodation is provided during deployments in different countries.
Cons
We always have to work long hours due to the nature of response, in ensuring our beneficiaries come first in services that we provide, Since we do robust proposal narratives and budgets with slim deadlines, we always have to put in more time.