Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,125 reviews matching the search See all 1,145 reviews
It's good for teens starting part time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2019
The team is very friendly and supportive of each other. Managers are always very understanding and it's an easygoing atmosphere. It has a union which offers great job security and benefits
Lots of work for little pay
Grocery, Produce, Dairy, and Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 October 2019
People's experience with Save-On can vary widely from store to store, but a few things remain consistent:

The pay sucks - despite being unionized, you will make minimum wage when they hire you, and the regular raises (10 cents every 520hrs) aren't going to do much to change that.

The work is hard - whether its the endless hours of stocking shelves, unloading pallets, or anything else, you'll be working hard from the moment you punch in to the moment you punch out. I'd say it's not as bad as construction, but at least that pays well.

Workers that were hired pre 1997 are a class unto themselves - Due to a less than successful strike in the late 90s, the workers at Save On are divided between "grid A" and "grid B". A has good benefits meaningful wage increases, and a union that takes good care of them. B tend to last less than two months before quitting, they have nothing of note. The union cut a deal to split their workers in two, if you were hired before 1997 (with some exceptions) good for you! If not you're in for a bad time, for bad pay.

Benefits - Probation is 3 months, benefits kick in after one year, of the 16 people I was hired with, 1 aside from myself lasted long enough to be eligible... Good luck though.

Work Life Balance - Schedules are posted two weeks in advance, and are always a nightmare. You'd rather not close one night and open the next morning? Too bad. You'd like to have consecutive days off so you can feel like you have a weekend? Too bad. You'd like to work the same days every week so you can plan things beyond two weeks ahead? Too bad. I
  more... could go on, but its just more of the same. Don't work here if you want to do much of anything in your time off.

I'd love to comment on management, but I only experienced two managers in my time there, and they were more or less what you'd expect. One was a hard working fellow with little in the way of compassion for his workers, and the other was cartoonishly narcissistic. Both were more than happy to oversee the underpaid overworked masses under them with a smile on their faces.

In Summary - If you absolutely must have an income for a short duration while you look for something else, you might be alright working part time. Full time is going to leave you tired enough not to want to job search on your days off, but you mileage may vary.

I worked there for 366 days exactly, its been a year and five months since I left and I still feel hopeless thinking about my time there. You can almost certainly do better than working here, as it would be hard to do worse.
Great company to work for
Personal delivery assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2019
I really do enjoy working here. It gets busy and that's when it can be tiring but otherwise its awesome, customers are very appreciative and my peers are helpful and friendly.
Super friendly workers
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB10 October 2019
I learned a lot of basic work skills, different cuts of meat, and customer service, The managers and other employees are super fun and great to spend time with in and outside of work.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
working on after school
Work envirnment
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2019
The team menbers were pleasent but management team were selfish and only looked out for themselvs. I often had to deal with messes they left behind or fill their shoes for them when they werent there
Cool environment
Meat Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2019
good company, lots of customer interactions daily, completing tasks for department and making sure shelves are properly dated for the next day make sure to dress appropriately
Working with people is my pleasure to learn new things
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC6 October 2019
Im having fun to work with my co worker They treated me as a good friend.Most people are friendly easy to get along.We help each other and sharing.I learn so many things like how to deal costumer and introduced new products to them.
Cons
8 hours
Good n Fun
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC6 October 2019
I wish I started 20 years ago at Save on Foods! I enjoy working there, the customers are the best n employees are fun! A free item each week for employees.
happy workplace
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 October 2019
working in the kitchen is very easy when you work with a team that are very nice and friendly, I've learned a lot of things especially how to handle customer even if they have a bad day.
Busy workplace with a variety of roles to fill
Receiver/General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 October 2019
A typical day at work starts with punching a time clock, checking in with the supervisor and fulfilling your daily tasks. You get two 15 min. coffee breaks and a 30 min. lunch break.

I learned customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as inventory management and communication skills.

Management has always been fair.

The workplace culture is only as good as the people you work with. Personally I made friendly with all my team members and going to work was like going to hang out with friends.

The job can be physically demanding and a little repetitive. There is no real end to the work, as there is always something else to do.

The most enjoyable part is building relationships with co-workers and customers.
Great place with chances to be social
Cashier/Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 October 2019
As my first job, I expected it to be stressful and annoying, but as time went on I got more and more comfortable with my co-workers and eventually started to enjoy working there.
Good team leads
Personal delivery assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2019
Hard working, but not enough wages!!
Benefits like dental and optical
Good support from the company
Good team leads
They have stores all the vancouver

On time payments and weekly
Front End Cashier
Cashier / Various Department (Current Employee) –  Creston, BC1 October 2019
A typical day at Save on Foods as a front end clerk cashier, cane very busy at times but also enjoyable. With being a people person such as my self, I enjoy talking to customers and helping them find anything that they were not able to locate and just be kind and courteous to them as a person.

I always treat my dedicated loyal customers and team members with as much respect and friendliness as i would like to be treated.
Not recommended
Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC1 October 2019
Business is still done the old way new ideas are not welcome. Change is needed in a fast paced industry. Need to figure out how to keep your staff from leaving
Pros
no micromanagement
Cons
old style of thinking not flexible
Fun coworkers
Cashier/ Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2019
I was a cashier and I enjoyed the fast paced environment and how each day is different. Sometimes dealing with customers is not always fun, but your coworkers make it fun
Cashier, General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 September 2019
Good place and grow to become a future leader in retail.
It offers plenty of opportunities to grow provided you are willing to relocate.
Managers are suppotive but shift timings are controlled by seniority.
Discounts on Food Products. Easy work
Departmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  99 St - Ellerslie RD25 September 2019
Unloading and stocking shelves, assisting customers, and occasional cleaning and shelf facing. Learned about new products, how to sell and recommend them and customer service. Management was very kind, and efficient. Culture was diverse friendly and helpful to new employees. Hardest part is som bending and heavy lifting. In all honesty? Easiest part is the job it's self. simple easy going work.
Pros
Free food, samples, and discounts on groceries
Cons
Good place to work for the most part.
Cashier, Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC25 September 2019
I learned how to interact with both customers and peers, most managers I worked with were very good, except for 2 (store manager, asst. store manager) in the last 6 months of my employment. Poor managerial style as well as bully-like behavior. I was on the receiving end of some and seemingly nothing changed until I was terminated.

the hardest part of the job was the lack of communication between employees and management in the store I worked at.

My most enjoyable part of the day would be helping my customers and after years of providing service for them, beginning to personally know some off hand and build client/staff relationship to keep customers coming back.
Fast paced work but enjoyable
Restaurant Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 September 2019
Multitasking job for grocery store, but fun to work.
management are friendly and easy to negotiate, could not complain.
All team members are nice and friendly as well, great place for a part time job.
It was amazing working with their team i wish them the best of luck
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 September 2019
The most amazing thing about this company is they don't judge according to your appearance but by what you are able to offer them and what you can bring to the team's success.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.