Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Canada1,360 reviews
Found 1,360 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
Good place to work I enjoyed my time there with the people I worked with .
I worked in making the buffet and keeping it at temp for customers satisfaction and safety in food .
As a former Save-On-Foods employee I can confirm that it is an excellent store. They made sure they were always fair with their employees and ensured a welcoming environment for customers.
Pros
Good work environment and friendliness
Cons
High turnover rate
I have worked for this company for almost 6 years and it is the best in Canada. I have nothing negative to say. They respect their pharmacists. Plenty of overlap, paid lunch break, excellent pension plan. Most importantly no pressure at all for professional services. I am still leaving this wonderful company because I am moving to Ontario and there is no Save On Foods in Ontario. That's the only complaint I have. Save on foods I am waiting for your expansion into Ontario.
Pros
Paid lunch break, Plenty of overlap, Excellent benefits
Cons
No stores in Ontario YET (hopefully soon)
The night boss was not to great to work for , best to say not to much , because he was. Not very nice at all , they only gave me a few hours for a week , yet I started before new people they gave them more hours thanks for understanding
Pros
Ok place
Cons
Pay was low plus hours where very bad for the week
Everything was great until drama started. Now we just can't get rid of it and management does nothing to fix it. Other wise it's an okay place to work.
The only good thing about working here i would say is some of your coworkers can be awesome people. But that has no reflection on the actual company itself because good people are everywhere.
As a company they expect you to basically exist around work. When i first started they would have me work one or two days. Then i would be off for 4. Then the next week it was 6 days in a row with one-two days off. The scheduals were never consistant all over the place. And their clock ins are even worse... if you are a minute late clocking out of work your managers will make it seem like you killed somebody i could go on but its not worth it. I wouldnt reccomend working here unless you are really. Really desperate.

And they are constantly hiring new people every week ( wonder why)

They dont call it "Slave On" for nothing
Pros
eventually you start getting extra more rewards and secret offers regular customers here about last
Cons
everything else
I cannot say this enough: This place is SO STRESSFUL. Worked here before and during Covid and ended up reporting company for failure to comply with health/ safety standards for the pandemic.
Let me point form sum up my experience:

-I was teased for my gender and sexuality.

-I was offered promotion only for it to be pulled away as a 'means of ferreting out gossips'.

-I was told I had to take my breaks but was given a work load that didn't allow them.

-I was forced to literally run half of my shifts due to poor scheduling leaving us under staffed.

-Managers rarely if ever stepped in to deal with harrassment, safety issues, health concerns, or scheduling issues.

-Direct supervisor often pushed his responsibility onto others and barely trained anyone (myself included).

-I was forced to train newcomers despite not being fully trained myself; supervisor and managers claimed they weren't fully trained either or said they were too busy too help OR claimed the newcomers were 'already trained'.

-PPE wasn't provided and therefore had to be forced out of them by OHS when I was there.

-I was contacted almost daily when offshift to come fill in. Many others were too.

-Pests aren't properly dealt with: The entire time I worked at my location there were wild birds in the store that ate the produce; the company had people come in to try and SHOOT THEM while we were working the night shift. There was no covering on the product in the event they hit the birds so had they been successful there would have surely been bird 'matter' on the food for sale. We also had to work while not knowing if we
 - more...
Pros
Basically none.
Cons
Poor management, harrassment, pests, horrible work-life balance, nepotism, the list goes on and on.
Worked here a long time and the management never inproved, hours were all over the place (some weeks they gave you 10 but as soon as someone was sick/on vacation you had to work 30+), slow paced boring work, lonely environment and mean customers. They hire staff and once they prove to be useless they don't fire them, continue to schedule them and expect other min wage workers to clean up their mess and babysit them.
Pros
get paid to really do nothing
Cons
boring job, repetitive work, power hungry useless managers
It wasn’t the perfect job for me, but it is an overall good place to work. There is always something to do and some way you can help out in other departments.
Pros
Discounts or extra More Rewards Points
Cons
Save on Foods expects the most from you. Management abuses their power, and the CLAC union won’t even have your back on complaints of inappropriate behaviour from superiors.
I am love working for Save On Foods. I love my team and the store. I get to work with great people and a fun environment. The work atmosphere is happy
Pros
Great schedule, benifits and obove average starting wage.
Cons
Working alone in high stress situations
being cashier is a very stressful job, people can be very rude. The wages are not enough plus you have to pay union dues. Your start times can vary day to day, shifts can change with little notice.
Pros
Big staff so lots of opportunity for new friends or lovers
Cons
no consistency with shifts, paid every week so working 6 days in a row is a thing, paid for stat holidays but no extra day off in lieu.
I enjoyed my time at Save-On. There were great, friendly staff who helped you, the customers were awesome. Only complaint I have is the little pay you receive, even when you move on up the ladder.
i hated it, they have no idea how to schedule hours for there employee's. one day they be over booked for worker's the next under booked, a single employee would be left alone at the till until they close and that would be a good couple hour's. they make that same employee who worked till closing and make him/her show up the next day to open the store. we are only human there is so much we can do. they run there employee's like robots once they lose energy or cant stand the strain they get rid of him or her. being a nice employee meant nothing to them even if you worked fast and hard. they just use you till they cant no more.

Pros
got a 10% discount or 30 times point on you're more-reward's
Cons
over worked and under paid
just puling the next groceries up. taking the broken stuff away. stoking was just oo relaxing and calm. i get to finish i was just a work experiencer doing it for school credits but it was actually fun working there. at the Londonderry mall save on food's
They turn over management every 2 years, it's all about money. The store is " actually" run by about 6 women that have worked there for 8 to 20 years, they're opening called The Karen's, they're mean, they're bullies and nobody does anything to stop them.
as this was my first ever experience working with a salary it was very rewarding, now looking back two years later I really do value the time I spent working there
I worked there as an e-commerce customer service representative. It was a decent work experience, not too good not too bad. The only thing I didn't like was the early 4AM four-hour shift.
Pros
no stress, easy going job
Cons
work hours, low paying job
I work at save on foods currently, have been for almost 5 years but its time for a change. Depending on what department you are in, the typical day looks different. I have learned customer service skills, how to time management, leadership and teamwork.
This place has been my longest job, which is a big deal for me. It has changed me as a person for the better and I appreciate this company. For example; I was never able to look strangers in the eye before this job, now I can have conversations with strangers even when I'm not working.
Pros
TV & couch in the break room.
Cons
Some customers don't appreciate your hard work.