Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,152 reviews matching the search See all 1,172 reviews
Front End Cashier
Cashier / Various Department (Current Employee) –  Creston, BC1 October 2019
A typical day at Save on Foods as a front end clerk cashier, cane very busy at times but also enjoyable. With being a people person such as my self, I enjoy talking to customers and helping them find anything that they were not able to locate and just be kind and courteous to them as a person.

I always treat my dedicated loyal customers and team members with as much respect and friendliness as i would like to be treated.
Not recommended
Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC1 October 2019
Business is still done the old way new ideas are not welcome. Change is needed in a fast paced industry. Need to figure out how to keep your staff from leaving
Pros
no micromanagement
Cons
old style of thinking not flexible
Fun coworkers
Cashier/ Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2019
I was a cashier and I enjoyed the fast paced environment and how each day is different. Sometimes dealing with customers is not always fun, but your coworkers make it fun
Cashier, General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 September 2019
Good place and grow to become a future leader in retail.
It offers plenty of opportunities to grow provided you are willing to relocate.
Managers are suppotive but shift timings are controlled by seniority.
Discounts on Food Products. Easy work
Departmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  99 St - Ellerslie RD25 September 2019
Unloading and stocking shelves, assisting customers, and occasional cleaning and shelf facing. Learned about new products, how to sell and recommend them and customer service. Management was very kind, and efficient. Culture was diverse friendly and helpful to new employees. Hardest part is som bending and heavy lifting. In all honesty? Easiest part is the job it's self. simple easy going work.
Pros
Free food, samples, and discounts on groceries
Cons
Good place to work for the most part.
Cashier, Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC25 September 2019
I learned how to interact with both customers and peers, most managers I worked with were very good, except for 2 (store manager, asst. store manager) in the last 6 months of my employment. Poor managerial style as well as bully-like behavior. I was on the receiving end of some and seemingly nothing changed until I was terminated.

the hardest part of the job was the lack of communication between employees and management in the store I worked at.

My most enjoyable part of the day would be helping my customers and after years of providing service for them, beginning to personally know some off hand and build client/staff relationship to keep customers coming back.
Fast paced work but enjoyable
Restaurant Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 September 2019
Multitasking job for grocery store, but fun to work.
management are friendly and easy to negotiate, could not complain.
All team members are nice and friendly as well, great place for a part time job.
It was amazing working with their team i wish them the best of luck
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 September 2019
The most amazing thing about this company is they don't judge according to your appearance but by what you are able to offer them and what you can bring to the team's success.
Friendly place to work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 September 2019
It was ok place to work.Good staff and day went by fast.Lots to do. Stocking shelves and unpacking boxes . Helping customers and keeping hallways clean.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Few hours
Good company
CANADA as a cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 September 2019
Good working environment, nice management , helping co workers, very supportive supervisors snd syore manager.Got enough working hours, overall i liked so much in working with Save on foods , east king edward avenue, Vancouver, BC.
Productive and Reliable store
General Clerk/Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 September 2019
The hardest part of the job is working on cash with difficult customers. The management can sometimes be unreasonable and not always understanding from their staffs point of view. It is a very clique filled company, you sometimes feel like you can't trust anyone.
Pros
Mostly friendly staff
Cons
Not always following your schedule restrictions, sometimes unreasonable management
It was okay
Deli worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2019
People were really friendly the environment was always peaceful and nice. Everyone there worked together to make work efficient and managers were very kind.
Terrible Management, Tough Work, Good Bottom Line
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 September 2019
During my work as a Cashier at the Lakeshore branch, I found that Management which went anywhere from the front desk to low-tier corporate brass were extremely focused on the sales and following company procedure, which leaves little room for error.

The same management does not care about the betterment of their employees and will have no idea on how to help you advance in your career- of which there likely will be no advancement.

The Job also uses common scare tactics and various bullying methods to get you to come in on your days off or when you are sick. They obviously do not know that someone who handles food shouldn't also have a cold. Expect calls from anywhere from 5-6 am in the morning to try and get you to come in.

The pay is rather poor too- if you're not minimum wage, It'll be close to that and it'll only be a few cents more per raise per YEAR, and your benefits can only be applied for after a probationary period.

The only redeeming quality of this store are it's bottom line workers, from the Cashiers to the produce aisles to the General clerks. There are some very wonderful people who are stuck at the bottom rung scraping by in life in these positions who do their best and constantly get hung out to dry for no good reason.

Please treat them with kindness and respect if you see them at the lake-shore location
Pros
Learning Human Interaction Via Retail, Decent Breaks for Lunch, Food is right there for any break.
Cons
Bad Management, Long Hours, Strenuous Work, Difficult customers.
It's okay
Grocery shopper (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB23 September 2019
I like save ons because the staff is very nice and easy going.
Sometimes it can be very stressful especially on busy days, like 15% Tuesday or even for Ecomm like online orders can be very stressful especially when it's super busy and your the only one working but you can also ask the manager if you can call someone to come in.
Typical day at work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 September 2019
Stressful from the first minute You hit the floor. Completely understaffed, so the entire cash area responsibility falls on one or two employees. You are barked at by older female employees for every little thing even though they themselves make so many mistakes. The hours are long and exhausting and You are worked to death for minimum wage. Many Customers are very rude
and
pharmacy assistant
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC18 September 2019
inconsistent hours
i had to place the otc orders and make sure all the counts were done
i counted pills. filled doctors scripts. made sure the hole count was complete. put away the otc order as well as the pharmacy order
Fun place to work specially helping customers.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC17 September 2019
Working for Save on Foods for almost 20 years gave me an opportunity to improve myself in comes of work etiquette.
Very warm environment to work .
Benefits are great and with Union too it just make my job secure.
great culture
Grocery/Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB16 September 2019
happy people who work together, only issue is if you only work very part time you cant work another job because you need to have open availability to work there
Horrible management if your a teenager turn away they with screw u over and over
Saanich - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saanich, BC15 September 2019
At save on age is respect me a 17 year old got written up for being 20 mins late which is what ever that's my fault but then theres thos old lady Linda they respect her cause shes old she straight no showed n nothing happened until it happened twice more then someone went up to the office and demanded she got written up
Pros
Some of the ppl nice
Cons
Mostly everything else
Worst place to work ever
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 September 2019
Made me work in excess of 50+ hours a week. Called me in on days off or would call me back in after I had already left for the day. Very poor management team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.