Save on Foods Employee Reviews

very demanding aggravating place to work
GENERAL CLERK IN BAKERY, DELI, GROCERY, CASH (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC26 March 2018
the way they do their scheduling is very frustrating you could have a late shift one day followed by an early shift the next day. Even more frustrating to me was that I had limited my work hours to 24 a week thinking that would solve part of my problem but low and behold I still ended up being scheduled five days in a row. Guess they weren't smart enough to figure out three days a week means three days a week only none of this three from one week followed by two the next.
Pros
free food
Cons
scheduling
very busy and productive
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC25 March 2018
keeps you busy so your time goes by faster. can be exhausting being on your feet for 8 hours but you get used to it. Good work atmostphere.

Definite room for advancement within this company. Very friendly staff.
Good job - Questionable managment
Kitchen Chef (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC25 March 2018
The job itself was great - The responsibilities you're given are very varied, so you're never bored, doing the same thing for hours on end.

The management is usually professional... But my hiring process was rushed - Because they needed more bodies as soon as possible - As a result, I wasn't given a chance to set availability hours & days. They had me working full time, booking me over my school days for the first couple weeks. Save on foods is also unionized, which can be a blessing and a curse... You get a few (very minor) benefits, but if you want them to change the way they're treating you - For example, if you want them to change your availability hours - It will take them time as there's a process to every change, and you will have to work to change it just as hard as they will. This is good over all, but for an individual worker that needs something changed soon, this can be... Unfortunate.

I also talked to a number of the employees... They seemed to be having some trouble with the management as well. Just a few, but again, the real issue is that change happens so, incredibly slowly for the individual worker.

If you're dedicating yourself to only working at Save-On, I can imagine this would be a good job... But as a university student, or if you've got some other responsibilities, I'd reconsider.
Great way to build customer service skills
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 March 2018
As my first job, it has been a great way for me to build my customer base and skills while learning how to meet other's needs. My supervisors have also been really helpful in terms of spreading guidance and discusses ideas on how to improve certain store aspects.
Pros
Friendly environment
alright
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB25 March 2018
great place to begin your work history. teaches you how to help customers, putting out stock, flexible schedules, managers dont really bug you as long as you do your tasks
boring
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2018
extremely boring and repetitive. managers were nice but expects too much, end of the day is dreadful due to dull moments. furthermore, parking situations were confusing
Pros
easy
Cons
boring
Fun workplace
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2018
The stability after the 3 month period makes you feel extra secure their benefits and wages aren't the greatest for part timers but at the same time probably better than you'll get else where
Run of the mill
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2018
Run of the mill grocery store with the same issues as everyone. Cut costs while maintaining quality. Wage was minimum, wage increases were not transferred to older employees so new hires made more than experienced workers. Customer service was a priority and sometimes rewarded as such.

The best: better quality than any other grocery store, except maybe Costco.
The worst: could not earn living wage.
average workplacce
Cashier and Team Member (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC22 March 2018
friendly coworkers, however hard to balance hours when a student, they always wanted me to work 4-11pm after finishing school at 3pm, leaving no time for homework/study
Fast paced work environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2018
Wonderful staff and a very encouraging management. Grocery department had lots of work to do, keeping me occupied and on task to make the store look clean.
Pros
Fresh Food
Cons
Not ETS friendly
Good starter job, would not recommend longer then a year or 2
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 March 2018
Some days are slow, some are busy. Most of the time management will expect you to do more then you would expect you would be required to do for getting paid a little bit more then minimum wage
Very positive work environment
Deli and also worked as cashier (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB20 March 2018
Great training and management team. The company believes in going the extra mile for their customers. You are treated as an equal with your peers as well as with management
Pros
Positive atmosphere
Cons
Not enough hours
A great place to work would love to work there again
Cashier (Part-time) & Deli Counter (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC19 March 2018
Enjoying working in a relaxed but professional atmosphere. Working in the Deli department was hard work as we were extremely busy meeting all of our customers needs.
Great Experience... but
Cashier/General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC16 March 2018
Very cliquey. If you are a new employee you are treated like a lesser person and paid the same. Those that have been working there since 2013 and before are rude and talk down to you. Management is biased and out of touch with reality. More worried about their drama than working with employees to better the work environment and stop the rumour mill. Some managers say very hurtful things and are condescending.
It was a fun place to work
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB15 March 2018
I didnt work here overly that long because once I moved I had no transportation to get to work so I had to quit even though I didn't want to because it was a good environment to work
Amazing Company
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC14 March 2018
This is a company that is about growth and is a family oriented business. The workplace is a positive and energetic environment. Being in the grocery industry, the competition keeps the company on its toes.
nice co-workers and fun lunch room talks
kitchen staff, cashier, customer service (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT12 March 2018
Save on Foods was a fun environment, fun co-workers, and a very spacious lunch room. Along with the lunch room came lockers for almost all the employees.
Pros
paid breaks, food and workplace safety.
Cons
managers never gave students enough hours, they would just about cut them right out.
Really fun place to work.
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  abbotsford bc11 March 2018
Save on Food is a Nice & Safe place, Friendly co - workers, i've learned how to take cash from the customer and return the exact change & learned how to do cash back on debit card.The enjoyable part of job is the nice co - workers that are willing to help.
Pros
nice workers
Cons
not enough hours
Family environment
Meat Department Senor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2018
Fun environment were you feel like you belong. Co-workers are fantastic. Some management personnel go above and beyond. Which makes work life balance difficult.
Pros
Good salary and fun place to work.
Cons
No work life balance.
good environment
CASHIER AND GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  highgate kingsway burnaby8 March 2018
work is perfectly managed by manager.
team work and punctual.
outstanding management
workplace environment is perfectly good and friendly.
the most enjoyable part is that they celebrate every festivals with party.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.