Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,469 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,501 reviews

I worked in All different departments

I started from the bottom and I ended up with a crew under me. I was an opener, closer and a person who teaches other people. I enjoyed to see the outcome of the people who wanted the job.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Not really anything here

Productive staff and fun environment to work in

I worked 8hrs a day. They give you resources to improve your working skills in the position you are working in. The management is really good and they care how you are. The culture is very inviting and its like you are a huge family. The hardest part of the job was the customers . The most enjoyable part was working with your colleges and getting to help people and make their day.

Pros

Very friendly work environment, get to make more friends

Productive and Fun Place to work

Excellent work place with job security, that allows a worker to be productive and to still allows for time go to school, have time with family or hobbies.

Pros

At times I would be fruit or snacks in the coffee room

Cons

Draining, thankless, and disrepectful management at Northgate

If "We aren't the Covid police" as an answer to Covid related concerns disgusts you, then Save-On-Foods Northgate is not a place for you. Covid related concerns are commonly handwaved. Poor safety and health measures. Dirty, damaged and broken equipment. Lots of responsibility, very little time, and even less manpower.Working a large department by yourself for most, if not for all your shift. Management almost never has anything good to say, no matter what.

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

Bad, lazy management. Poor, unstable and sporadic hours.

Not a place to shop or work!

Save On Foods is not what the company banner promotes. Beware and read between the lines and expect to be dragged under the carpet if you don't adhere to the candy coated management.

Pros

schedules in advance

Cons

toxic environment

challenging and fun

for a grocery store it had a collection of great staff and customers. The training wasn't the best but it was adequate. Too bad the turn over is so high, the management doesn't value the average worker.

Pros

mostly flexible hour wise

Cons

managment can be sexist

Worst company to work with

This is the worst place to work at. We are always overworked and underpaid. The managers are not good here, they don’t care about your health and just want u to work. The schedule is so messed up, I cannot even start to explain. Please do not apply here, its not just one store, every store of SOF is messed up.

Pros

Cons

Many. All of it

Poorly paid workers with extremely high turn-over rate

You're paid minimum wage and given a raise every 1,000 hours worked (It would take 10 years of working 40hours/week to get a $2 raise!). Its also important to note that you won't receive any benefits until you've been there for over a year.I've never worked at a place with such a high turn-over rate as Save on Foods has. Every week I saw people leave and new hires being trained. Despite myself only being there for 1 and a half years I had alot of seniority compared to half of the people working there. I'm sure you and I both know why the turn-over rate is so high; the pay is abysmal with competitors paying their employees much betterThe work is very fast-paced and you will often find supervisor down your neck when you have any down-time in between customers. You must at all times be doing some sort of work even those couple of minutes you get occasionally in between customers.The only part of the job that I have nice things to say about is the people you work with, and despite what I said earlier about the supervisors everyone I worked was were kind & friendly; I don't think there was a single person I did not get along with.

Pros

Good management and co-workers

Cons

Poor pay, with not many opportunity for raises

Management do not care about employee well being, can be intentionally mean

Management were all about the "bottom line", although this is understandable, pushing employees to accomplish more than is possible in a give amount of time is discouraging. The employees that are actually working hard feel disappointed for now being able to meet quotas, while the lazier employees do not care at all. Instead, management should focus on increasing productivity by limiting the amount of time employees spend socializing with one another instead of working - this is especially true for the grocery manager and supervisor who constantly spend their time talking to one another about things unrelated to work instead of getting work done.

Stressful

I have worked at Save On Foods for over 20 years and have moved up in seniority and position within the company. The stress is ever increasing in order to make more dollars for the company. The conditions are getting harder to finish anything. You have more work to complete in a day and less time to do it. They continually add more jobs and tasks onto your daily schedule. The lack of respect for individuals home life is disheartening after so many years with the company. I've never been more unhappy at a workplace than I am right now. I am well liked and well respected by my peers and subordinates as well as some upper management. But it does not seem worth it. Stay away from this place.

Pros

Benefits for full time

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for management

Ok for a first job

Its ok for your first job but I suggest that you leave as soon as you can get a job you'll actually like or your mental health is gonna go down the drain.Management is usually a joke and they tend to not care about you just the numbers.

Pros

Promotions over time

Cons

Bad Management.

Very poor management/Leads

OMG! I've never witness such poor disrespectful management & Leads.Unsupportive, lack of trust towards drivers, very clicky within themselves and with other drivers. Getting angry with drivers of asking questions to understand better of things...which in turn they become very defensive and running & whining to the head leads instead being mature to have a conversation to clarify things. Which thereafter...they ignore and don't acknowledge you. This becomes stressful and makes you not want to be there in that toxic environment!!I've noticed senior drivers who train new drivers....not doing a very good job of doing so. This is very disheartening and you wonder why this drivers quit so soon from not being training properly.Anyways....I would not recommend anyone becoming a driver unless your desperate of needing a job for the short term.

Pros

snaks offered in the lunch room

Cons

met some very nice drivers...only a handful

Very Collaborative team

Great team and very friendly environment. SOF is modernizing and replacing some of their IT systems. It's great place to learn and very helpful team.

Excellent advancement opportunities

This is one of the few places of employment left that you can be hired for an entry level position and be trained for a career. Promotions and training take place within the company for the most part. No matter what job you are hired for, hard work and service can turn into management in time.

Pros

In house promotion and training

Cons

Not all promotions keep you in the same location

dont work here

if you need a couple days off to visit, or mourn over the loss of a loved one. Expect an under the table suspension, then to be yelled at and belittled on that fact months prior.

Pros

no customers.

Cons

terrible management.

If you have nowhere else to go

It's okay. Management doesn't care about you, only cares about numbers. You're extremely overworked and hella underpaid and it just gets worse as you work your way up. I got to CSS before I quit because mentally this place was Gunna kill me. Just work here part time until you get your dream job. They do have a back to school programme however it's only for up to 1000 dollars and only if you're going back to school for your masters specifically.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Sell your soul

Good for starters if willing to do exercise

I had good experience with saveonfoods, training was perfect ,this job is demands lifting some weight, if you like to do exercise take it. for me ,except the pay rate every thing was good .

Pros

Everything is good

Cons

They should increase pay rate

I like my job

Save - on -food is one of the best store in Canada , Most of people like preparation all of type of produce and grocery and all of staff are very kindly and skilled , most off produce are fresh and local

Great staff members

The people are great, the managers need to go back to basics and learn some compassion, sensitivity, respect, overall….remember the people that work for you are human beings…just like you. We are not slaves or puppets…we are human beings…just like you!! Treat others the way you want to be treated and your family members too. Have a heart and do the right thing!!!

Pros

Great staff members

Cons

Horrible management skills from the managers

Bad and constantly getting worse

I worked here multiple years. Hoped things would improve but they only got worse. Employees are just a means to generate profit, their well-being is low priority. Stay away!!

New system,New management

If you was young and you don’t know your passion ,this is your stepping stone, for pay your bill because they offered minimum pay until you can get next level.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement