Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Produce Clerk

Found 37 reviews matching the search See all 1,204 reviews
Lots of work for little pay
Grocery, Produce, Dairy, and Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 October 2019
People's experience with Save-On can vary widely from store to store, but a few things remain consistent:

The pay sucks - despite being unionized, you will make minimum wage when they hire you, and the regular raises (10 cents every 520hrs) aren't going to do much to change that.

The work is hard - whether its the endless hours of stocking shelves, unloading pallets, or anything else, you'll be working hard from the moment you punch in to the moment you punch out. I'd say it's not as bad as construction, but at least that pays well.

Workers that were hired pre 1997 are a class unto themselves - Due to a less than successful strike in the late 90s, the workers at Save On are divided between "grid A" and "grid B". A has good benefits meaningful wage increases, and a union that takes good care of them. B tend to last less than two months before quitting, they have nothing of note. The union cut a deal to split their workers in two, if you were hired before 1997 (with some exceptions) good for you! If not you're in for a bad time, for bad pay.

Benefits - Probation is 3 months, benefits kick in after one year, of the 16 people I was hired with, 1 aside from myself lasted long enough to be eligible... Good luck though.

Work Life Balance - Schedules are posted two weeks in advance, and are always a nightmare. You'd rather not close one night and open the next morning? Too bad. You'd like to have consecutive days off so you can feel like you have a weekend? Too bad. You'd like to work the same days every week so you can plan things beyond two weeks ahead? Too bad. I
  more... could go on, but its just more of the same. Don't work here if you want to do much of anything in your time off.

I'd love to comment on management, but I only experienced two managers in my time there, and they were more or less what you'd expect. One was a hard working fellow with little in the way of compassion for his workers, and the other was cartoonishly narcissistic. Both were more than happy to oversee the underpaid overworked masses under them with a smile on their faces.

In Summary - If you absolutely must have an income for a short duration while you look for something else, you might be alright working part time. Full time is going to leave you tired enough not to want to job search on your days off, but you mileage may vary.

I worked there for 366 days exactly, its been a year and five months since I left and I still feel hopeless thinking about my time there. You can almost certainly do better than working here, as it would be hard to do worse.
fun coworkers and a wonderful array of regular customers :)
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC11 September 2019
The managers there did not have much understanding for sickness, but thats true of any corporate business. the immediate managers were awesome and the regular customers were great. hours were all over the place, i would have preferred regular hours, as would other employees.
Horrible management
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2019
You can work your butt off but your managers will still expect more from you and if you can’t perform they will cut your hours. The management is also rude and talks behind employees backs it feels like your constantly harassed there would not recommend. Also go against union rules for example my manager showed my whole department my personal doctor note because he didn’t believe I was sick
Cons
Management, Expect too much
productive and fun workplace
part time Produce, dairy, cash clerk (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 July 2019
Working at Save On Foods teaches one a lot about customer service and professionalism.
They never let hard work, dedication, honesty and exceptional customer service skills go unnoticed. It is a rewarding experience.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
fairly easy job, poor management
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 May 2019
Not a fun place to work. Although the hours are quite flexible management makes it a very unpleasant place to work. Would not reccomend to someone trying to find a job
Good high school job
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK26 April 2019
They were very understanding of my busy school related schedule. I could never see working there full time, as management isn't very solid and their aren't many benefits, but as a part time job, it was perfect.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fun work culture, fair department management
Cons
Store managers aren't very involved in the work, long days become very tedious
Painfull
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB4 February 2019
Long hours little rewards or benefits to working with them. We used to call it Slave-On-Foods because it was that unenjoyable. i was glad the day i left
Pros
Cons
everything else
Fun and Friendly
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 October 2018
I loved working there it was great! The other team members were so friendly it just was not for me and i had life just crumbling beneath me. I totally would recommend save on foods
Pros
After 6 months you get heath+ ton more benefits
Cons
No real employee discount
Positive work environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 August 2018
I loved working at Save On Foods! The work environment was very organized, people were helpful with one another and the experience was a very positive one!
The whole store was unorganized and not safe
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB2 July 2018
Management was not organized
Everything was all over the place
We never interacted with our coworkers
The work environment was overall poor
Said there would be food up in the staff room, but rarely there ever was
Never got hours
They over hired
Absolutely Horrible Place To Work For Those With An Ounce Of Work Ethic
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2018
This was my second job ever and I worked as a Produce Clerk. Super invasive work environment. I heavily value individual work over group work, so when I saw Produce Clerk, I thought that I was going to be stocking produce and could just be on my own, doing my own work that was necessary. That was the complete opposite. Co-workers were super lazy, would force me to do work they did not want to do, and would spend most of their shift talking instead of working, often trying to talk to me which led me to do less work. Managers on the same coin have favourites in the workplace, picking employees that they are friends with and employees they don't like. The amount of micro-managing that my manager did was unreal, nit-picking and over-managing every single thing I did. I would see a vacancy in produce, and the managers would tell me to do something completely different because the co-workers who spend all day talking were going to get to it eventually.

Not to mention, we are expected to be overly friendly to the customers. Clerks are expected to say hello and strike up conversations with every single customer that walks into the store. When I'm focusing on my work, I can't be checking up every five seconds to make sure I say hello to a new customer. Often times as well, customers would find it flat out annoying just by looking at their facial expression, as many are there to shop. It's hard for me to fake happiness in a complete moronic work environment.

The numerous amount of social distractions in this workplace doesn't allow for efficient production in the workplace.
  more...

Also, we had to pay full price for all items at the store. That's unheard of to work at a place, and not get discounts for the product.

Only benefit I can think of with working here is that I was offered to speak to the supervisors and managers on the day I hired, and they asked me a couple of questions. I can only imagine this is because nobody gets work done so they're all free to do this.
Pros
Hiring process is efficient.
Cons
Distracting work place, no discounts, micro-managing power hungry managers, work doesn't get done.
cashier, bakery, produce
cashier, produce clerk, bakery clerk. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
fast paced. learn safe food handling, one can take courses for advancement of the company. I enjoy helping people with certain things depending on which area one works in. e.g. what's in the baked goods and show them the ingredients.
Pros
job advancement
Cons
staff turnover.
good part time
Produce Clerk-part time (Former Employee) –  Chaparral, AB10 April 2018
i worked here for just abit it was a good job as you can work at your own pace and there is always jobs around to do so time goes by fast defiantly would recommend to students or people looking to make extra income.
Pros
pay
Not a good job to work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2018
Save on foods in panorama has literally the worst management ever, they barely consult or train you in your job. I worked as a produce clerk there briefly and was barely given a shift and it seems that they just didn’t much for me or my efforts at all. It might be suitable to students in general but I have to say the horrible management and unfair shift assignings just made me want to leave! I will never work at save on foods again! No wonder why superstore is beating them by a long shot!
Pros
Cons
Shifts, horrible management, useless atmosphere
It's was ok
Produce and floral clerk and CSS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2018
Not great not bad, but just ok. It was a good job for while I was in school and I enjoy my co workers. Every store is different though so it might be better for others.
alright
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB25 March 2018
great place to begin your work history. teaches you how to help customers, putting out stock, flexible schedules, managers dont really bug you as long as you do your tasks
Decent workplace
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2018
Great place to work. Fun, relaxed environment, with friendly co-workers. Management could sometimes leave something to be desired, but that was the only rough spot. Break times were flexible, and pay was decent.
Fun Workplace, Hours not so great
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fernie, BC23 January 2018
Got along with everyone and enjoyed my job as a produce clerk. Hated how the hours worked. Ask for one day off and have to work 9 straight just to make up for the one day. Awful.
the Company hates produce.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Part time workers often get the sh** end of the stick; at this point it's to be expected. However if you work produce at save on foods while also being part time, you might as well just quit and count your blessings for never having to deal with management that make your life hellish just for working the position that the company hates the most.
Gratifying workplace.
Produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 December 2017
Daily job duties consist of filling the holes in produce with fresh produce . Doing cleaning , organizing and displaying goods in displays that appeal to our customers.Receiving of freight and putting said freight away in our cooler. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of hours. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the customers. Helping people with their produce needs and helping them to find basic things in the store they are looking for.
Pros
Working with some good people.
Cons
Not enough hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.