Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Produce Clerk

Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
As a former Save-On-Foods employee I can confirm that it is an excellent store. They made sure they were always fair with their employees and ensured a welcoming environment for customers.
Pros
Good work environment and friendliness
Cons
High turnover rate
I worked at Save On for over two years. The managers here do NOT communicate with each other. I was also constantly scheduled 6-7 days in a row and told just to suck it up because they had to work these hours too. It would've been somewhat fine but they split the hours between work weeks, so that I did not get overtime. I was removed from the department I worked for two years suddenly, and the manager brought up a plethora of complaints against me. However in the past year I have not had a single review, thus every problem he had with me, was unbeknownst to me. This is a perfect place for you if you want no social life, and are willing to work closing shifts and openings the next day for a year, while working 7 days a week with no overtime due to how they schedule you. Also expect them to consistently run skeleton crews in most departments, so your're constantly under pressure.
Pros
Free food, convenient location
Cons
Poor scheduling, Poor communication with both employees and staff, no reviews
it was relaxed job and staff members were friendly. i have learned the behavior of different customers.only the thing which i was annoying for me the wastage of food.
Expecting The world for so little pay and hours! hours range from 8 hours to 16 hours a week and the pay is not very good for living costs along with the management as the management could be a lot better but in an un-unionized environment they tend to get away with more than what they should, their meat department reuses old meat and repackages it which don't follow health code standards, and their department managers will take hours away from you even though you try and try and try, they just don't care for the world on what you do as you will never be good enough to work at a save-on-foods unless you are a cashier! would highly recommend not working here as it is a horrible place to work! P.S. They only hire part-time so that way they don't need to give you the hours that you desire!
While I was working at save on foods everybody is easy going and fun to be around great people, the management was good respectful and helpful but stay on the good side!
Pros
Good breaks, Great people, Union
Cons
A lot for minimum wage
Working at save on foods has been great experience and has prepared me to talk to customers. I would recommend this place to my friends to definitely give it a shot to work at save on foods
a typical day is stocking produce shelves and cleaning learned about large corporations and the struggles they face management is typically good but often changing - they play favorites Culture is good, but far too much turnover of staff Hardest part is rushes when people call in sick or quit and the turnover Most enjoyable is meeting and greeting the customers - most notably the many who come into the store every day and like to chat
People's experience with Save-On can vary widely from store to store, but a few things remain consistent: The pay sucks - despite being unionized, you will make minimum wage when they hire you, and the regular raises (10 cents every 520hrs) aren't going to do much to change that. The work is hard - whether its the endless hours of stocking shelves, unloading pallets, or anything else, you'll be working hard from the moment you punch in to the moment you punch out. I'd say it's not as bad as construction, but at least that pays well. Workers that were hired pre 1997 are a class unto themselves - Due to a less than successful strike in the late 90s, the workers at Save On are divided between "grid A" and "grid B". A has good benefits meaningful wage increases, and a union that takes good care of them. B tend to last less than two months before quitting, they have nothing of note. The union cut a deal to split their workers in two, if you were hired before 1997 (with some exceptions) good for you! If not you're in for a bad time, for bad pay. Benefits - Probation is 3 months, benefits kick in after one year, of the 16 people I was hired with, 1 aside from myself lasted long enough to be eligible... Good luck though. Work Life Balance - Schedules are posted two weeks in advance, and are always a nightmare. You'd rather not close one night and open the next morning? Too bad. You'd like to have consecutive days off so you can feel like you have a weekend? Too bad. You'd like to work the same days every week so you can plan things beyond two weeks ahead? Too bad. I - more...
The managers there did not have much understanding for sickness, but thats true of any corporate business. the immediate managers were awesome and the regular customers were great. hours were all over the place, i would have preferred regular hours, as would other employees.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Save on Foods?
You can work your butt off but your managers will still expect more from you and if you can’t perform they will cut your hours. The management is also rude and talks behind employees backs it feels like your constantly harassed there would not recommend. Also go against union rules for example my manager showed my whole department my personal doctor note because he didn’t believe I was sick
Cons
Management, Expect too much
Working at Save On Foods teaches one a lot about customer service and professionalism. They never let hard work, dedication, honesty and exceptional customer service skills go unnoticed. It is a rewarding experience.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Not a fun place to work. Although the hours are quite flexible management makes it a very unpleasant place to work. Would not reccomend to someone trying to find a job
They were very understanding of my busy school related schedule. I could never see working there full time, as management isn't very solid and their aren't many benefits, but as a part time job, it was perfect.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fun work culture, fair department management
Cons
Store managers aren't very involved in the work, long days become very tedious
Long hours little rewards or benefits to working with them. We used to call it Slave-On-Foods because it was that unenjoyable. i was glad the day i left
Pros
Cons
everything else
I loved working there it was great! The other team members were so friendly it just was not for me and i had life just crumbling beneath me. I totally would recommend save on foods
Pros
After 6 months you get heath+ ton more benefits
Cons
No real employee discount
I loved working at Save On Foods! The work environment was very organized, people were helpful with one another and the experience was a very positive one!
Management was not organized Everything was all over the place We never interacted with our coworkers The work environment was overall poor Said there would be food up in the staff room, but rarely there ever was Never got hours They over hired
This was my second job ever and I worked as a Produce Clerk. Super invasive work environment. I heavily value individual work over group work, so when I saw Produce Clerk, I thought that I was going to be stocking produce and could just be on my own, doing my own work that was necessary. That was the complete opposite. Co-workers were super lazy, would force me to do work they did not want to do, and would spend most of their shift talking instead of working, often trying to talk to me which led me to do less work. Managers on the same coin have favourites in the workplace, picking employees that they are friends with and employees they don't like. The amount of micro-managing that my manager did was unreal, nit-picking and over-managing every single thing I did. I would see a vacancy in produce, and the managers would tell me to do something completely different because the co-workers who spend all day talking were going to get to it eventually. Not to mention, we are expected to be overly friendly to the customers. Clerks are expected to say hello and strike up conversations with every single customer that walks into the store. When I'm focusing on my work, I can't be checking up every five seconds to make sure I say hello to a new customer. Often times as well, customers would find it flat out annoying just by looking at their facial expression, as many are there to shop. It's hard for me to fake happiness in a complete moronic work environment. The numerous amount of social distractions in this workplace doesn't allow for efficient production in the workplace.  - more...
Pros
Hiring process is efficient.
Cons
Distracting work place, no discounts, micro-managing power hungry managers, work doesn't get done.
fast paced. learn safe food handling, one can take courses for advancement of the company. I enjoy helping people with certain things depending on which area one works in. e.g. what's in the baked goods and show them the ingredients.
Pros
job advancement
Cons
staff turnover.
i worked here for just abit it was a good job as you can work at your own pace and there is always jobs around to do so time goes by fast defiantly would recommend to students or people looking to make extra income.
Pros
pay