Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Personal Shopper

Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
I loved working at Save-On-Foods. I worked in the personal shopping and only left because I moved back to Québec, but it was my favourite job I have had. The team was so friendly, the job was fun, and the management was very fair.
Pros
Free food in staff room, flexible schedule, supportive management
Cons
On feet a lot, work under pressure
You feel like just another number. Constantly changing your schedule so hard to plan a life outside of work. Need to give 21 days notice for time off.
Pros
Give you free food.
Cons
Favoritism, not good communication with the management.
Supervisor in one Edmonton store is a bully. She consistently picks on the personal shoppers who are young and are working at their first job. She rotates who she victimizes and is also a racist. The young employees are afraid to report her because they need the job to pay rent and education costs. If Save On Foods claims to be an important contributor to the community and youth employment then something should be done about this nasty person.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
new staff get all the hours and long term staff are shorted, Bullying in the workplace
Everything was great until drama started. Now we just can't get rid of it and management does nothing to fix it. Other wise it's an okay place to work.
I cannot say this enough: This place is SO STRESSFUL. Worked here before and during Covid and ended up reporting company for failure to comply with health/ safety standards for the pandemic.Let me point form sum up my experience:-I was teased for my gender and sexuality.-I was offered promotion only for it to be pulled away as a 'means of ferreting out gossips'.-I was told I had to take my breaks but was given a work load that didn't allow them.-I was forced to literally run half of my shifts due to poor scheduling leaving us under staffed.-Managers rarely if ever stepped in to deal with harrassment, safety issues, health concerns, or scheduling issues. -Direct supervisor often pushed his responsibility onto others and barely trained anyone (myself included).-I was forced to train newcomers despite not being fully trained myself; supervisor and managers claimed they weren't fully trained either or said they were too busy too help OR claimed the newcomers were 'already trained'.-PPE wasn't provided and therefore had to be forced out of them by OHS when I was there.-I was contacted almost daily when offshift to come fill in. Many others were too.-Pests aren't properly dealt with: The entire time I worked at my location there were wild birds in the store that ate the produce; the company had people come in to try and SHOOT THEM while we were working the night shift. There was no covering on the product in the event they hit the birds so had they been successful there would have surely been bird 'matter' on the food for sale. We also had to work while not knowing if we - more...
Pros
Basically none.
Cons
Poor management, harrassment, pests, horrible work-life balance, nepotism, the list goes on and on.
Fun place to work with lots of variation in coworkers. It's a good job to learn many common workplace and customer service skills. You get out what you put in to the job. Many workers do the very minimum for duties, so if you work a bit harder it is easy to look really good. One thing that is frustrating is that EVERYTHING is based on seniority (whoever has been there longer). So even if someone is less qualified, less experienced, or just doesn't do their job well, they are still protected by union so they make more for pay, better choice in hours and chosen first for job advancement.
Pros
Good Benefits, somewhat flexible hours
Cons
Seniority, Poor communication between upper management and team member workers
I was very disappointed when I was hired under the impression that I would be receiving full-time hours, but just a month in received about one shift a week. There were a lot of empty promises made by those higher in the company, and I was let down repeatedly. Some of the management staff was quite rude. I probably would not work for this company again.
Collaborative coworkers. Need healthy and strong body to handle the shift. Communication skills to negociate with customers. Asking is important to get tasks done with managers' orders.
I was hired with conditions due to my illness and the lower management did not follow through with the things i was able and not able to do, the didn't follow my availability at all.
Interview process was quick and informative. Scheduling management needs to include dept staff overlap thus increasing staff cooperation, skills sharing.
Pros
Location, job position flexibility
Cons
Insufficient dept training, sporadic & short notice scheduling, poor dept training
I worked here for about 8 months and decided it was not for me. Management was alright but wage increase a big part that my department lacked. The department itself was understaffed also which gave some stress.
Pros
Staff are friendly
Cons
Lot's of overtime and not a very fair wage
There is very little to no training. Communication basically doesn't exist. They will book you for hours but you will always be on call, and the 3 week scheduled is always changing making it hard for you to book fun actives.
Pros
Easy
Cons
little training, bad communication, bad hours
save on foods is an awesome place to work they treat us well we are unionized and paid well in this day and age it is still not enough to live off of though.
A good place to work if they gave me enough hours to pay rent and my bills. E-commerce was a job i loved, the supervisor was not the best and management was just ok
Great place to work. Co workers are fun and always there to help.
Cons
early shifts 4 am
Pay raises of 5 cents every 500 hours. Currently, hard work goes unrecognized, poor work gets you shunned and gossipped about amongst coworkers and management alike. If they believe you aren't doing well, they write up without warning. Pretty hard to get fired but write ups are public and condescending.
Pros
Consistent small raises
Cons
Automatically clock you out for lunch, even when you don't take one
Working here was Alright, friendly environment but could be stressful at times. Loved the night shift 12:00-8:30am it was just fantastic! I really suggest working for save on
All you are is a number, there are no benefits of working here, management is slimy and plays games with their employees. Not nearly enough pay. The idiots get promoted and the ones who consistently work hard and go the extra mile end up losing it and quitting because it's not worth the weak pay or stress. They push productivity and constantly cut hours to discipline everyone not the people who are lazy and unproductive just so management can get their christmas bonuses.
Can have fun with coworkers. Pace of job is moderate to busy. Time constraints can cause some stress. Good people to work with. Some outside duties to get from fresh air and sunshine.
Pros
Not hard work
Cons
Could use more management support when busy
I worked in ecomm It was a fun place very easy job, but I was put on graveyard shifts and it was sooo hard on my body, feeing like I was working everyday and getting paid very little to do so, especially being as I was working 12-6 and only make the same as everyone else. Also very stressful being alone in the store at night. Great community and I loved the staff they were so supportive and happy I just felt the hours and stress weren’t worth the pay as well as being almost full time and get no benefits. It’s a great place to work if you’re willing to lose a lot of free time due to work and sleep. I loved it but I couldn’t do it for long before I was having anxiety attacks before every shift.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits and horrible hours of doing graveyard and poor pay