Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Meat Carver

Found 30 reviews matching the search See all 1,199 reviews
Super friendly workers
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB10 October 2019
I learned a lot of basic work skills, different cuts of meat, and customer service, The managers and other employees are super fun and great to spend time with in and outside of work.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
working on after school
Cool environment
Meat Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2019
good company, lots of customer interactions daily, completing tasks for department and making sure shelves are properly dated for the next day make sure to dress appropriately
Over worked and stressed for minimum wage.
General Clerk/Meat Department Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 July 2019
The general clerks had some of the hardest jobs in the store. Dealing with customers was the most annoying part but also from the management too. The employees were generally really nice but you can tell that most people were burnt out and miserable from working here. I luckily managed to get a position in the meat department, which in my store was the easiest department to work for. The union did nothing for us but we still had to pay a union fee. People that worked for minimum wage ended up getting less than minimum wage because of it. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably working with the coworkers I got closest with.
Pros
Scheduled 3 weeks in advance, free snacks sometimes, good co-workers.
Cons
Over worked, underpaid.
Great people and enjoyable work.
Meat Department, Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 May 2019
My co-workers and department management were great people. It was fun to hangout and work all day. The general manager of my particular location was a bit of a stick but I only saw him a couple times a week for something important.
Productive and fun environment
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2019
Great atmosphere to work and able to build on communication skills when talking to customers. Hardest part f the job was emptying the cases at the end of the night due to the heavy ice but it was manageable
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 May 2019
Very good place to work I would recommend working here if you do not want to work out at site. Very nice people and a great work culture with good management
Pros
Not very challenging work
Cons
Not having consistent work days
Bad management, no hours given.
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB30 April 2019
My manager would only give me one shift every week instead of the 20 hours I had requested to work. My manager was also rarely around the sales floor and when he was he tended to not be very nice to staff. My manager also had a tendency to take a vacation every second week or so, making it rare that we ever even seen him.
Good staff bad customers
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC16 November 2018
The hard part of working at any grocery store are the customers that attend. Due to this I didn't like working at the store i was located at. It made it unpleasent to work at.
Great company to work for
Cashier/ Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC1 August 2018
Great company to work for save on foods are flexible on hours understanding very supportive great benefits checks ur information online scheduling or benefits and much more .
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Was a great place to work but the hours were long and hard
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2018
The people there were great to work with a really inviting. Many days spent working eight hour shifts left me exhausted. Manager was good and overall the company feels like a team.
Compensation is far too low for amount of work, no room to negotiate either
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 June 2018
The compensation is very poor. It takes far too long to receive your first pay raise and they demand far too much work for the amount they pay. There is far too much work for some shifts in some departments, to the point where you don't get to take your breaks because of the amount of work. Appropriate safety training was not given for weeks until after joining. There are no benefits given to employees either.
Family environment
Meat Department Senor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2018
Fun environment were you feel like you belong. Co-workers are fantastic. Some management personnel go above and beyond. Which makes work life balance difficult.
Pros
Good salary and fun place to work.
Cons
No work life balance.
Customer Service Specialist-Meat department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job at save on as well as the people i worked with. it is a great environment and as long as your willing to put in the effort it fairly easy to move up within the company.
Good work place
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
I enjoyed working at save on. It was fun, entry level job. It is a very nice place with many employees.
I learned some new skills for cooking and preparing meats.
needs improvement there
Meat Clerk/cashier (Former Employee) –  Parksville, BC19 July 2017
staff has very little training and always schedule changes, no employee inscentive, not a substainable wage to live off, too much drama within the departments.
Pros
meet new people every day
Cons
no inscentive for staff to stay and make an effort
Really negative place to work
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 June 2017
Having previously worked at both Superstore and Safeway I can honestly say this is the worst Grocery Chain to work for hands down. Store management is horrible which has led to high employee turn over and a lack of training means if you do have previous experience you are expected to carry the workload as the inexperienced teen agers they hire stand around checking their cellphones to see how long till their next break.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, terrible hours, bad management
Productive workplace with different positions for advancement
General Clerk, Meat Department & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC19 April 2017
Easy to move between departments creating the ability to have a more diverse work experience each day. Learned different skills: money management, customer service etc..
Pros
free bakery treats
Cons
bad scheduling
good place
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2017
awesome place to work in. benefits are great and they do offer training to allow promotion to supervisory and management positions. again great place to work in.
Was a good team environment, managers for the most part were pretty good and helpful with the staff and myself
Meat Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC24 February 2017
All in all Save on Foods is a good company for people looking to get into the retail business and provide strong customer service on a regular basis, my experience with Save On Foods thus far has been good and the staff provide a team environment where we all work hard for each other as well as the store itself. Being a hands on person I enjoyed working in the meat department As you are always physically active and moving, and the fast pace of the job I enjoyed doing the most. Cashier is an ideal job for someone who is less Kean on the physical demands of the meat and Grocery departments and more so on the side of socially interacting with customers and providing quality customer service at the front end of the store. Management was overall pretty good at the store and make the store a likeavle work place.
Pros
Good working environment, Good hours, flexible with schedule
Cons
Have to be quick, Have to be strong socially in interacting with customers
Slave on Foods
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove, BC23 November 2016
You are a slave to this company, get out while you can before your soul withers to nothing. Management is terrible and can't lead their team worth anything. There's no communication whatsoever, I've worked there for 4 years and I'm barely making $14/hour. I bust my balls every single day for this company.
On a brighter note, I just quit the other day and I feel more free than I ever have
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.