Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Grocery Associate

Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
The pay is garbage, You raise is 10 cents. They lie about alot of the benifits you will receive, such as tuition and such. Company can be sneaky snakes, managment changes alot which mean it could be good or bad. The company itself is very cheap. They understaff and under pay. They tell you that your schedual is put 3 weeks in advance but in reality they can change your schedual at anytime without any repurcussions if its more then 24 hours into the future. They will schedual you to close and then schedual you to open the next day. In regards to that they can make you work for 8 days straight without any overtime or benifits. Also I never got my benifit paper work until it was two months late. Also the union is horrible, they dont care, my rep never got in contact with me even though I contacted them multiple times. Work here if you need to goto school or something or if its your last resort, you will grow old and be stressed out.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No rights, paid poorly, high stress job for minimal wage.
The only good thing about working here i would say is some of your coworkers can be awesome people. But that has no reflection on the actual company itself because good people are everywhere.As a company they expect you to basically exist around work. When i first started they would have me work one or two days. Then i would be off for 4. Then the next week it was 6 days in a row with one-two days off. The scheduals were never consistant all over the place. And their clock ins are even worse... if you are a minute late clocking out of work your managers will make it seem like you killed somebody i could go on but its not worth it. I wouldnt reccomend working here unless you are really. Really desperate. And they are constantly hiring new people every week ( wonder why)They dont call it "Slave On" for nothing
Pros
eventually you start getting extra more rewards and secret offers regular customers here about last
Cons
everything else
Save on Foods expects the most from you. Management abuses their power, and the CLAC union won’t even have your back on complaints of inappropriate behaviour from superiors.
Hours were good, the one thing is during my time there. They could give you a shift with only 24 hours before that shift. Pay was good, coworkers were very friendly. Invest in a good pair of comfortable work runners. But plenty of breaks.
Pros
Well paying, room for advancement.
Cons
Sudden shifts.
Working there there was little in terms of gaining experience most of my experience was stalking shelves and facing products forward and this happened almost ever shift nothing new and no new experiences to gain.
It can be a very boring job, you’re always doing the same thing. The people are usually very nice, we have a lot of regulars come in. Management is nice.
we are hiring motivated people to work during this covid crisis. Company is giving us an extra $2.00 per hour and you get another $2.00 if you work overnights (not might be suitable for high school students)!
did stock shelf work, front end work, did cashiering, helped out people with there food. worked a lot of overtime, and helped with the front desk, worked on carts put food out
Bad place to work, but only because of upper and store level management. The senior staff where also bullies, and alot of rules and laws go out the window because of the management.
ok, so honestly i loved working here for the most part, the management sucks which made working here way too stressful, never understanding and always to busy to listen if something was wrong, too judgemental to re-hire people who leave.
the scheduling was always changing, more often than sometimes I was not notified of the change, or not in time anyway. I was promised a mix of roles during the week as 40 hours a week on cash is very hard on the body.
good work atmosphere for the most part workload is never too demanding unless absolutely necessary. employees are told to put emphasis on customer support which I thought was fulfilled
For me this job was too slow and not enough of doing something, but overall save on foods is a great place to work, especially for beginner jobs especially with good management
Great for a first job or part time work while attending school. There are also many opportunities for advancement if you want it. Management can be a little out of it sometimes but where isn’t that a problem.
I was always put on closing shifts as a student. Management scared me. I had some great friends that made it so I didn't quit earlier. Always on your feet.
I enjoy working at save on foods great team work excellent management team and excellent customer service good food service and fresh quality products local and international
they hired me only because they were desperate for staff soon as the summer rush was over they wanted me gone not because i did my job poorly but because I'm transgender
happy people who work together, only issue is if you only work very part time you cant work another job because you need to have open availability to work there
Nice and easy, seeing as I was going to school at the same time. The people and coworkers were always polite and comfortable to be around. We communicate and worked well together as a team when needed. All and all I wouldn't mind working here again as I am still working on achieving my grade 12
I worked there and I had to leave because they thought I was drunk. I drink once a week and it’s when I get off work the night before a day off. If you take buses they schedule you for in doable times. They don’t care about you and they are so under staffed they don’t care about the workers needs.