Save On Foods

Canada144 reviews

Found 144 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,779 reviews
savesaveongroceryfoodunionstoredepartmentwage

Better place than most

Depending on management, this job can turn into a career. Unlike some places they see you as a person. While the union can work against you, some managers will vouch if you give it your everything.

Pros

good culture

Cons

some toxic people

Great co-workers, horrible management

The overall work environment was great, I worked with great, nice people. When I had first started working there, I had asked for 16 hrs a week (i was a high-school student) and ended up working 25-32 most weeks, not picking up extra shifts but seeing them on my schedule. The ability to change departments was nice, however the bakery manager (when I was there) wouldn’t let me talk to any of my coworkers while I worked, regardless of whether or not I was done my work.

Insights into Save On Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Terrible Management, terrible scheduling that's only flexible for them.

worst place I have ever worked schedule changes that happen the very same week, terrible management oh yea and save on is a union company so legally they can change your schedule 24 hours before your shift, and not pay you for working on stat holidays all for a total of $75 taken from every pay check for union fees. imagine paying your boss so they can pay you less that is what is happening right here. stay far away from this place even as a last resort.

Pros

Only job I've ever had without any pros

Cons

Schedule changes that happen the very same week, They overwork you for the minimum wage pay, They don't pay stat holidays correctly

challenging schedule changes and inappropriate placements

Working at saveon wasn't the greatest experience. The first issue was with scheduling, very often they would have people off for various reasons and your schedule would be changed within less than 24 hours notice. The other issue being that they had not much regard for the capabilities of someone with an injury. I was frequently placed in a position where I had to do work that was against a doctor's order that involved some sort of heavy and light lifting.

Pros

Some nice coworkers

Cons

understaffed, inconsistent direction

High expectations

High expectations, little training amd expected to do multiple departments due to short staffing. Management is useless most of the time-there are a few exceptions

pretty meh place to work, and path was about the same

the place wasn't great to work at, and the pay was meh. didn't really enjoy my time there and hated the uniform. was really boring most days and you end up doing the same thing every shift

Flexible

Worked there part time during university and I appreciated that management was able to adapt to my schedule changes. Coworkers were generally nice, but the work was boring and repetitive

Fast-paced customer service job

Save On Foods is a pretty large grocery company, so it's almost always busy. The management is pretty good though, and very understanding in terms of mental and physical health.

Pros

Free food now and then, good people

Cons

Extremely busy at peak hours

Easy to understand, but stressful work environment.

Save on foods is both easier to enter, and easy to leave, because most jobs there are easy to understand and carry out without supervision. However, the pay is bad and raised are meagre. It can be difficult to have managers take all of the easier tasks, while ordering subordinates to do less enjoyable tasks, such as taking out garbage.The Managers at save on foods often nag, not severely, but constantly, making it a stressful environment to work in.

Pros

Most tasks are easy enough to understand.

Cons

Payroll doesn’t always pay on time, and managers are unhelpful and rude.

Stocking Shelves, Filling Online Orders

Worked the graveyard shift doing the duties I stated above. Can be physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging as it turns your body clock upside down. If you are a certified night owl, it may and does work for some people, but it wasn't for me.Didnt really have enough time and interaction with staff and management to comment on office politics and drama.

Good all around

Great team to work with. Friendly and helpful management. Good work-life balance with easy to catch on tasks. Overall positive experience. Management and team is still kind to former employees.

Will cut your benefits if you catch covid.

When I caught covid from work I followed the protocol by informing my manager and was told to stay off the property for 5 days. As a result I lost my benefits and now I have coworkers coming in with "allergies" due to fear of being penalized. Not a safe work environment. As well if you are a female the chances of being able to advance here are slim to none as daily tasks are given out based on gender yet the task the boys get are prerequisites in order to apply to upwards positions.

Pros

10% discount of groceries

Cons

Benefits are a joke, harassment and bullying from older coworkers and sexist workplace.

Decent place to work

Not a bad job. Pay is pretty good, nice coworkers. The top management was pretty nice, but a trainee manager was always on you about any days called in which created unnecessary stress about getting sick or any other reason needed to miss work.

Stressful and understaffed at times, but overall fun.

Shifts were all over the place until you find your own department. If you are really good at one job, they will put you in other departments until you know everything. Staff was friendly but management can be rude.

Pros

never expected to stay overtime, but had the option

Cons

little control over schedule

Fun workplace

Good workplace and co workers. Management is friendly.Wage is decent and we get 10% off groceries which is great.I would recommend working here to a friend

Competitive environment

A typical day at work: Punch in, get changed and start the shift. I learned how to talk to customers and efficient ways of stocking shelves. Management was good at first, but our location had new managers every couple months so it wasn't consistent. Workplace culture at my location was very competitive and everyone around you was trying to get on top of everyone else, so you get treated like a lower by these people which doesn't feel like what you'd expect/want. Hardest part of the job is definitely customers especially since it's a grocery store job so you meet every type of person and working this position was not worth the harassment that I'd received from customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably meeting (the few) awesome people that worked there. I would not recommend working here or other grocery stores unless you really want to or have friends, because otherwise you won't enjoy it.

Pros

10% discount that only started from covid and free leftover food occasionally

Cons

didn't get paid for some training shifts, when it's slow you don't do anything, competitive nature of workplace

Decent

Good place to start out for part time.Good payNo advancementThe work is fairly easy The work life balance doesn't exist Fairly healthy and helpful work enviroment

Easy job to get, hard one to stick with

There's a reason the turnover rates are so high: young people fresh out of school want a job, so they get stuck in an abysmal work environment with clueless supervisors.

Company doesn't give a hoot about employees

Employees are truly just place holders at Save On Foods. As long as positions are filled, the management is happy. The pay is okay, and it's a huge plus that it is Unionized, as many times fellow coworkers had to call their union rep for being overworked. Toxic gossip and drama was not only ignored by management, but they were often the ones spreading drama and rumours. Typical grocery store that doesn't give a rat's behind about their employees.

Can be fun

The job can be good but often under staffed and you work a lot of overtime for nothing. Some management are nice and helpful but they do move around and you can end up with some not so great people

Good starter job for students to gain experience, but can get boring or stressful at times.

Gets kind of repetitive, workload depends if your store is more strict on constantly facing the shelves. It can get stressful if you struggle to finish your routine before your shift ends.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save On Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement