Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Customer Service Associate / Cashier

Found 64 reviews matching the search See all 1,197 reviews
Loved my job in E-Commerce
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 December 2019
Fast on a busy day, not enough help at times, and other times too many people working at once.

My hrs kept getting cut, and at the same time 2 other women were hired and only my hours were split with them.

They did not seem to care that I had to move once, to afford my apt., but continued to cut my hrs in order to hire the 2 other women.

was constantly critiqued on my job performance even though I thought I was doing a great job, always kept busy, and really enjoyed what I did.

Management was not looking out for my best interest but for the interest of my supervisor, who I thought was very unfair and critical.
Productive and Fun
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC7 November 2019
The people that I got to meet and work with at Save-On-Foods were all really kind, and i felt very comfortable in the work place. It could be a little slow at times, but i did not see that as a problem
Nice environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 November 2019
Good management
Health and study benefits etc
Staff behaviour
Proper uniform
A team work
Customer services
Earning a-lots experience
Good pay rate
Poor management
Merchandizing, Customer Service, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 October 2019
Enjoyed the traffic immensely on a daily basis.
Enjoyed my job and the position I held.
Strong lack of communication through out.
Took many courses that did not benefit me to move up the ladder,which I was not paid for.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Poor management
awesome place to work, felt like a family almost
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC22 October 2019
Workig at save on foods made me realize that i actually enjoy working in a team environment and developing new skills in different departments i did not expect to be in when i started the job.
friendly staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC9 September 2019
I really enjoyed helping customers and working with my awesome coworkers, everyone was so kind and welcoming and my managers were understanding and thoughtful, and they actually care about you.
Hard, exhaustive, but can be a good tool for comparing other companies
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 August 2019
It was my first Canadian experience, after which I wanted to run out of the country). Of course the minimum salary for the hard job, some supervisors are not able to work in teams and all they can do is to criticize and indicate your mistakes. After being shifted from cashier to the restaurant area in SOF, I became sick for almost 1 week because of constant moving between hot oven and fridge. Sometimes you can't go to the break because you have lots of work to do and no one check on that. Managers or admin staff doesn't care how you feel and what you think, just everyone is doing their jobs without noticing what is around. At some moments you feel that you are an ant, and all you do is not valued at all. At the end of the working day, you just feel exhaustion and simply don't want to come back there again, remarkably but you have the same feelings at the beginning of the working day too). I have left the company and don't regret about it.
However, there were positive sides too:
- not all supervisors are bad, the kitchen manager is very friendly and always supported us with a good word and a joke. That means a lot, and if some of the supervisors read this, keep in mind that your work is not only to follow procedures but have people together as a team. The main reason for employees to leave is bad management! So, improve yourself first.
- SOF is giving proper pre-work instructions, HSE introduction and more or less decent training
- employees after 3 months can join union (however not sure how helpful it is)
- co-workers good guys and I enjoyed working with them
- many
  more... managers and supervisors were among those who worked there for many years, so probably it worth working in SOF......
If you decide to join this company, all I can say is Good luck!
Good people, unorganized management.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 August 2019
Save On Foods is a company that really strives to do it's very best, which is very appealing and for the first little while, it makes you feel like part of a family. Save On also tends to hire people that are enjoyable to be around, which was beneficial since I made lots of good friends. But the management seems quite unorganized. In the first few months of working there, they had an employee that wasn't a supervisor or a manager, writing schedules and because of this I had shifts given to me without informing me and changes being made to my schedule without telling me. I even had a day where we were understaffed in my department so, even though I was throwing up sick, I was forced to come in. And it wasn't until I'd thrown up three times at work that they finally let me go home.
Pros
They're very lenient and understanding with holidays and time off and you start at $12.00 and hour.
Cons
The employees seem to get tired of working there quickly and no one wants to cover your shifts, and the raise you get is 50 cents after 500 hours. They also hate paying people overtime.
Friendly and fast paced workplace.
Cashier / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC28 July 2019
greeting customers in till line
baging groceries
collecting baskets and putting at front door
keeping area clean
Management I find does not communicate well with each other
Can be a bit challenging at times
The constant lifting of groceries if you are an older adult.
I love meeting the people.
Enjoyable workplace
Cashier, customer service (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 May 2019
While in the bakery cake center, my day started with checking dates on product and preparing a list of needed stock. The rest of the shift would be the preparation of the daily product ending with the clean up of the cake area. Customer service and cashier starts with relieving staff for their breaks depending on when my shift starts. Management are always ready to help when needed and are very easy to talk with. I would say that the hardest part of the job was working late evenings. I enjoy being with the fellow staff members and interacting with the customers.
Pros
Working with public and enjoy fellow staff
Cons
Late night shifts
Communicative and motivating co-workers
Customer Service Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sahali, BC9 March 2019
I started out as a Cashier and then worked my way into being a front desk Customer Service Associate wherein I had to take care of the customer inquiries via phone calls, as well deal with regular in-store customer issues all while managing at least 7 cashiers at once. In and all, a good place to work at.
good job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC4 March 2019
teaches you how to work in a fast paced environment and teaches you a lot with 1 on 1 customer interaction. Also, good experience for customer service.
Save on Food Prairie in Port Coquitlam
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC9 January 2019
This location is the most toxic environment I have ever worked it.

Staff yell, gossip, bully, and humiliate others in front of customers.

Many complaints filed with the union and they do nothing
Cons
Good place to work and shop
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 January 2019
If i was on the customer service desk i would in charge of the bottle recycling if a customer brought some in. Tobacco orders, customer issues and running the front end basically. I worked there during the major fires that happened in Kelowna so I also had to make sure all the government slips brought in by the evacuees were properly processed otherwise the store wouldn't get reimbursed. As a cashier I was very quick, great at memorizing all the produce codes and packed bags efficiently and in a way that products weren't damaged. Quite often if I was on till and it was busy my line would be the longest as the customers could see I was moving quickly and doing a good job. Management was decent, didn't see too much of them. Atmosphere in the store was good for customers but I found between co-workers there seemed to be a fair bit of gossip and drama. Hardest part of my job there would have to have been avoiding the co-worker drama as much as possible. I enjoyed cashiering honestly, memorizing all the codes kept my mind nimble and packing bags was like a mini game of tetris plus I got to meet all sorts of people daily and enjoy getting to know my regulars.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Not so great co-workers
Family oriented
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2018
The entire store works as a team. There isn't a "that's not my department" attitude, we help in whatever department we can to get jobs done. Community driven for fund raising.
Pros
diverse employee hiring
Cons
lack of communication
Enjoyment level and Job work load
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 October 2018
I enjoyed working at Save-On-Foods, and would love to return. I had the position of Cashier and Shelf stocker, at 8 hours a day, and liked it immensely, while I had wonderful managers, and helpful staff offering encouragement and happy smiles to help me along. I did not want to leave at all, but my illness made it tough to work through. I am very happy to return as soon as possible, I have beat the illness and very vibrant and excited to work again in this field.
Pros
Breaks and Time management
Cons
Small lockers
Save on summary
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 September 2018
A typical day at work for me would be starting at cash with the tills, ringing through customers. cleaning tills wiping down surfaces. making sure perishable items are put back. the workplace culture wasnt the best in my own opinion.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal complaints for co-workers and customers.
Great Co-workers, flexible hours
Cashier/Customer Service/General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 September 2018
As a cashier/general clerk you are constantly on your feet interacting with customers and helping out around the store. The past 3 years at Save On have been good. The people you work with at Save On are very helpful and friendly. However, it seems that sometimes management interferes a bit too much. This not only makes customers mad sometimes, it also puts more stress on employees. Also, the pay could be a bit better for the amount of work you actually do. Overall, it is a good job for students looking for some part time work and can open up more opportunities in the future.
Pros
You gain great customer service experience
Cons
Pay could be better
postive and negative
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 August 2018
There is positive and negative.

For me the positive parts were getting along with my co-workers and interacting with the customers.
I also enjoyed problem solving when it was necessary.
Pros
great people
Cons
not my kind of job
Pretty good
Cashier - front line customer service (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC20 June 2018
Easy going people, sometimes some drama. Union work. sometimes unstable hours and late shifts, also not guarantee of full time work but many departments and chances for advancements
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Unstable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.