Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Clerk

Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
Everyone single employee was super welcoming when I got hired, and was very helpful during the training process. Both the management and staff make the job enjoyable. The hardest part would be on cash at busy times.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Stressful at busy hours
This company is severely mismanaged and was a pain working for. I would constantly be put down by my managers. The customers are stuck up and unreasonable, and if you don't give them everything they demand, the management will tear you to shreds.
Cons
Long hours. They expect you to devote your life to the job
My experience with Save On Foods is it was a good gig to help pay some bills during a time where I was having trouble finding work. Most of the other staff were friendly, though the stores are typically run pretty terrible. Be prepared to get overworked and underappreciated most of the time, especially if you're on the night shift.
They did group training a couple days after the interview and gave each of the hires two training shifts. The people were always supportive positive, and patient when someone was new. There was never less than 1 person per shift, so you never had to worry about being understaffed. Management knows what they're doing and are very professional in dealing with problems. They also work around your schedule if you're a high school or university student, which is really nice.
Pros
Good training, good people, good management
Cons
Crowded lunchroom
Long time workers of the company will tell you, Save On Foods used to be a great place to work. But as it is now, it's simply not worth it. Being part of a Union is nice, except the grade A's get much better pay. Don't expect a raise anytime soon, and when you finally get one it will only be by 10 cents. The company values its dated and disappointing points system, so much so that they decided giving employees 10% off a purchase or 30x the points, was better than an extra 2$ hazard pay during this pandemic. Perhaps the points system was great when they used to give out blenders and wine fridges, but now its simply small grocery items, and if you save your points for a few years, part of the money towards a trip. The prices are outrageous, little to no discount is given, and with how the scheduling and hours as well as raises are done, is simply not worth it. If you want to find unhappy workers, just go to your local save on foods.
Pros
Part of a Union, Benefits if you get them
Cons
Subpar "Perks", Disorginized and Unprofessional Management (Newton Location)
Unless you been there forever or work 24 hours or less, so you can manipulate your availability, this job is horrible if you want a life. grid A employees (a pay grid that doesn’t exist anymore) get everything and are rude to the grid B members who haven’t been there for many years. They expect the same work ethic from newbies that they had when they were first hired but those member have nothing to work towards to benefit their life like they had when first starting out and the training is almost non-existent. Management cycles out sometime too fast or too slow. It’s almost as if staff is happy with management that means they need to leave so they can put a shittier manager in. Some management are glorified grocery clerks , give those tasks to a supervisor or general clerk and do MANAGEMENT things! The union(UFCW) cares more about acquiring new members from all sorts of companies. The care for the members has gone out the window over the years they just want to accumulate more members so they can get paid more. As a grid b member I do a better job then a grid A but constantly get the shaft cuz of “seniority”
Pros
If you work 24 hour or less you can’t manipulate what hours you work good staff, union
Cons
Union, Daily shift changes for new people, low pay and the pay raise scale takes you forever to make good money, company hires too many teenagers or young adults unavailable during the day
The produce manager sucked. The schedule sucked. The management was biased and not friendly. The store manager, other managers and supervisors were friendly and encouraging. The colleagues were good and supportive. Work is challenging sometimes which was good for me.
Pros
Free food (sometimes), good colleagues, good benefits (full-time), overtime
Cons
Lots of taxes and deductable fees, biased, no room to make mistakes (even for new comers)
Title says it all. This place stared great but the drama and the way they treat people are horrible. I would not recommend this place to anyone to work.
Just couldn't handle the stress there. Management was a very stressful person to deal with. I felt over worked and wasn't treated well than other co workers. I was trained alot of different departments and I was all over the place and couldn't focus on a few departments that I worked in. Good experience at first but did like going into the new year
Pros
No lunches or chrismas parties
Cons
Short lunch breaks on all shifts
Three sets of managers have come and gone through our store in three years. Most recently the newest supervisor already quit. The day can be pretty busy so the workday does not seem long but early and late hours lots of time to prepare. New set of management is trying to set a good culture so that is good for the future. Some Co-workers who arent in any superior role set too high standards and make the job more of I'm better than you type place.
Pros
Free lunches and team bonding.
Cons
Talking behind backs, underpaid.
i hated it, they have no idea how to schedule hours for there employee's. one day they be over booked for worker's the next under booked, a single employee would be left alone at the till until they close and that would be a good couple hour's. they make that same employee who worked till closing and make him/her show up the next day to open the store. we are only human there is so much we can do. they run there employee's like robots once they lose energy or cant stand the strain they get rid of him or her. being a nice employee meant nothing to them even if you worked fast and hard. they just use you till they cant no more.
Pros
got a 10% discount or 30 times point on you're more-reward's
Cons
over worked and under paid
You learn quickly on the job. Management will give you responsibilities in a position, and will put you where you work best. Save on Foods is a great place to work, and the experience is going to be different for everybody!
Pros
You get asked what department you would like to be trained in, And you have the opportunity to say "I don't feel comfortable in this position", They will HONOR THAT!
Cons
You may have to work in a department you don't really enjoy 😉
I like to do work in all departments of the store and the whole team of the store is very helpful and willing to teach you about the work and new things.
Working for save on is good for a temporary job. It helps just enough to get by. The schedule makes it hard to do anything out side of work. But the people that you might and work with are great people
Its a good place to work while in highschool or college. Meet a lot of new people. Management makes a huge difference of overall work experience. Be on good terms with everyone and things will work well.
While employed at save on foods I learned Important skills allowing myself to be less introverted as well as diversifying my skill set which has greatly helped me throughout my life
The schedule of shift is usually flexible and favourable for students. Save on foods is a place one can meet a lot of passionate team members who are ready to collaborate to achieve a common goal
A friendly working environment. Most of the Co-workers are helpful. The schedule manager was too good. E-com was so stressful sometimes. I have learned to manage the customer.
Save On Foods is a great place to work if you like being around people. Work is steady and reliable. They even pay an extra $2.00/hr during this CoVid 19 pandemic, which I thought was pretty decent
Theyre very fair with the employees They have the highest salary in fort st john Shoutout to the managers in fort st john.. theyre the best Theyre listening to their people