Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Clerk

Found 116 reviews matching the search See all 1,194 reviews
It's an okay starting job
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC3 December 2019
Advancement is difficult in this job because there is a need to move from place to place in order to be considered for management, which may not be ideal if you're settled down in one spot. The job simply wasn't right for my needs. I didn't mind the manual labour, I made some great friends in my coworkers, but the expectations on an upper-management level, the erratic hours and lack of direction in terms of advancement leave a lot to be desired.
Fun team members
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kerrisdale, BC23 November 2019
When I started working at Save on Foods I was new in Canada. I had confidence problems because my English wasn’t as good. I am grateful for the management and team members who helped me become confident got me involved a lot and slowly I grew. I am not fully there but I can’t assume how much I have grown
Pros
Free lunches and thank you meal cards
productive and fun environnment to work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC20 November 2019
smiling employees and customers
positive working environment
helpful staff
caring and soft management personnel
adjust according to needs
Consider your health and safety
enjoyed working there
Part time General Clerk and cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 November 2019
worked a couple times a week - part time while I was in high school - they were very flexible with my hours which was great and my time off work which was great.
Awful work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC28 October 2019
Definitely depends on the store you work at but Pemberton Plaza is a place you should avoid. Worst management team, negative work environment, poorly run. I’ve heard good things about other locations, and the other locations I’ve been to were much better. It all comes from the top. If the management sucks, it has a domino effect on the rest of the store.
Benefits
Cons
No communication, they’ll tell you that you suck at your job and then never give any advice on how to improve
Good first job for a student
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC24 October 2019
Save On Foods is a good place to work as a student as hours are very flexible. There is also opportunity to work in different departments for a wide variety of work experience.
Great co-workers
St - General Clerk (Former Employee) –  British Columbia20 October 2019
Great co-workers and friends but management expects way too much to get done everyday constantly and it's a way too stressful environment. Management gets upset if everything doesn't get done like they want to need more people in the department if they want everything to get done on time every day.
Good n Fun
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC6 October 2019
I wish I started 20 years ago at Save on Foods! I enjoy working there, the customers are the best n employees are fun! A free item each week for employees.
Busy workplace with a variety of roles to fill
Receiver/General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 October 2019
A typical day at work starts with punching a time clock, checking in with the supervisor and fulfilling your daily tasks. You get two 15 min. coffee breaks and a 30 min. lunch break.

I learned customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as inventory management and communication skills.

Management has always been fair.

The workplace culture is only as good as the people you work with. Personally I made friendly with all my team members and going to work was like going to hang out with friends.

The job can be physically demanding and a little repetitive. There is no real end to the work, as there is always something else to do.

The most enjoyable part is building relationships with co-workers and customers.
Cashier, General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 September 2019
Good place and grow to become a future leader in retail.
It offers plenty of opportunities to grow provided you are willing to relocate.
Managers are suppotive but shift timings are controlled by seniority.
Productive and Reliable store
General Clerk/Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 September 2019
The hardest part of the job is working on cash with difficult customers. The management can sometimes be unreasonable and not always understanding from their staffs point of view. It is a very clique filled company, you sometimes feel like you can't trust anyone.
Pros
Mostly friendly staff
Cons
Not always following your schedule restrictions, sometimes unreasonable management
Great place to work with lots of opportunity for career advancement
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 September 2019
I have been working for Save On Foods for multiple years, have tried a few different positions and gotten a lot of good experience. I love how I wasn’t just pegged to one position, and had the opportunity to try new things with their cross training schedule. I hope to move up in this company in the future years to come.
At first its a fun place to work, later on hours shrink immensely
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2019
At first the company gives the employee their desired amount of hours. Later on, as soon as a month in some cases, the company starts to cut their employees' hours which I found to be poor practice. The upper management claims to do this because of poor store sales. The upper management seems indifferent to their employee's need for hours, which they make ends meet. The supervisors that work between the top management and the common employee are much better. They are much better at relating to and resolving the employee's quandaries and grievances than the upper management.
Pros
10 per cent Employee Discount
Cons
Hours get cut very frequently and part time benefits are virtually none
Engaging and fun workplace with great staff
General Clerk/Meat and Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC26 June 2019
I genuinely enjoyed working here. The staff were all very nice, management were kind and understanding, the work was enjoyable while still remaining challenging, and I felt extremely motivated to do my job to the best of my abilities.

The hardest part of the job would have to have been when it was a very busy day and having to keep up with maintaining stock, as around the holidays turkeys would go on sale and having to price up a dozen boxes of turkeys wasn't easy.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the manager I got to work with, as he was extremely fun to work with and motivated me to work more than anyone since. He also knew my strengths and weaknesses and gave me tasks based on them so I wasn't overworking myself or letting myself get complacent.

The most important things I learned while working there were that the customer is the most important part of my job, as making a customer as happy as can be ensures future sales and makes the work more enjoyable. I also learned what it means to take pride in my work no matter what my job is, as that makes the whole experience more enjoyable in the long run.
Pros
Very flexible in regards to hours. Health and benefits system.
Cons
Start at minimum wage, slow increase to wage.
fun environment
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 June 2019
loved the employees i worked with,love how the breaks were all scheduled if you worked on the front end, bakery was my favourite department as was floral as well.
Pros
extra points
Cons
standing for a long time
If you hate working nights and weekends, don't apply
General clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 June 2019
When you're new, you pretty much only get the closing shifts for a long time until you get some seniority and even then it's not guaranteed you'll get any day shifts. They WILL call you to pick up shifts on your day off and/or ask if you can come in earlier/stay later. If you want a day off you have to book it 3 weeks in advance.
Pros
lots of hours. you get trained in more than one department, occasional employee lunch
Cons
late shifts, weekends, no life, no time with family, getting days off can be difficult
High energy workplace with amazing employees.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC12 June 2019
Despite the constantly changing schedule and management team it was a good time working here. The employees are friendly and really care for the people around them. It's a good place to get your foot through the door into the working world.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Constant shift changes
Very difficult store to work at
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB8 June 2019
Overall the store management is extremely poor. Extremely disorganized and store is managed based on fear and punishment. Very clique environment where people that are favored get away with making constant errors and laziness and others that are not so favored are constantly reprimanded or written up.
Pros
Location of store is good
Cons
Extremely unqualified management.
Not worth it
GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 May 2019
Not a very good place to work if you would like more of a set schedule. Management also sucked. Would recommend if you're desperate, but other than that, not worth it.
Save on food a typical first job
general clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 May 2019
i worked at ironwood for two years yet they only increased my wage by $0.15. you have to work in multiple department and work long hours. i have to say the coworkers are nice but management sucks and scheduling is the worst about this place your shift for the entire week can be changed completely within a day don't make any plans unless you request time off and don't expect any discounts
Pros
friendly coworkers, learn customer service skills
Cons
long hours, forced to work in multiple department even if you have no experience in that department

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.