Save On Foods

Canada237 reviews

Found 237 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,776 reviews
savesaveongroceryfoodunionstoredepartmentwage

It’s not bad

Not a bad place to work.Good benefitsCan be fast pacedHigh expectationsGet to meet lots of new people and rest of staff is usually greatNice to work in lots of departments

decent enough

not the best job in the world, but it pays the bills. it can be pretty stressful when the store is busy and the management isn't always super helpful, but the people are overall really nice and good to work with

Insights into Save On Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Awful workplace and terrible management

I’ve never been so poorly spoken to by a manager in all of my years of working. They are inconsiderate and will cut your hours for no good reason. Wouldn’t let my worst enemy work here.

Blah

Worked here for a few years. Was toxic management at the time, you never get any time off, always push people too far and never any reward even a thank you.

No opportunities for raises

I like working for Save-on-Foods, the atmosphere there is really nice. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to make more money, especially if you are only working part-time.

Scheduling and pay need massive improvement

2 years of work and over 2500 hours completed and a $0.20 raise? What a joke Not including the provincial minimum wage increase. Yes it’s slightly above minimum wage but you have union dues to pay so it’s the same thing. As for scheduling, they provide it 3 weeks in advance BUT you cannot change it once the schedule is out, but they have the audacity to call and change your shifts. That’s bs and what’s up with all the split days off if I’m working 32+ hours? And all the Inconsistent times in those shifts? If you want your employees to stay provide a solution to this. People want a life too

Pros

Fun people to work with

Cons

Scheduling, pay, raises

Toooooo much favouritism

They trust their old employees blindly. They don’t see efforts of new employees, whatever old employees says they pass same feedback to new employees even though old employees do nothing. They don’t care how to trained new employees. From first day, they want new ones to do perfect work.Never going back.

Good for students

A good job for students as you can set your own schedule. Just prepare for last minute schedule changes and lots of closing shifts at the beginning.

Great Experience With Management, Coworkers were a mixed bag.

For me, coworkers and management make up a good job from a bad job. All the management was great, they were amazing and understanding and went above and beyond their job. Some of my coworkers on the other hand weren’t the best. Some would be passive aggressive and rude. Others would be controlling and constantly over your shoulder. Then there were some coworkers that just always had a bad attitude and would make working together seem depressing. Don’t get me wrong, some coworkers were amazing and I have made some friends there but the bad ones really stood out.

Pros

Good Management, Union, Free Fruit in Breakroom

Cons

Bad Coworkers

Overall Okay

The company itself is good. This specific store is run by awful managers. They treat you poorly and when you raise a legitimate concern with facts proven by video surveillance your told they will handle but then don't.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Management is Terrible

Not fun

not a good place to work, no tips and you get most of your paycheck cut out for “union fees” which was nothing. you’d work long hours for basically nothing in return. very poor management and poor scheduling.

Horrible store manager

Would not recommend working here unless management is changed. Pay and raises suck but the job itself is easy and most of the people are friendly and easy to get along with.

Nice place to work but can be really busy

It’s a pretty great place to work with good pay if your just a teenager but the job can get difficult at times depending on the department you work in.

Pros

Pay is $16.20

Cons

Short shifts

To much cross training

They want you working in multiple departments with out training you. They’ll change your shift and not give you a heads up. Management is never on the same page about what is going on.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Only enjoyed because of some people that work there.

Not a bad place to start off

Not a bad place to work in. Employees are very welcoming and almost like a family. However, management can be somewhat frustrating at times. Depending on the manager, they give you a very hard time with simple tasks such as calling in sick for a legitimate reason.

Pros

Environment, benefits, discount

Cons

Pay, management

Incredibly stressful, complicated and a huge waste of time and effort

started as a fun enjoyable experience, coworkers and management quickly made the work environment incredibly stressful. Took a huge toll on my mental health working here for 3 months, was always receiving criticism from management even though they had me scheduled constantly. On top of being overworked they didn’t have proper training for any of the departments they had dragged me into, I had initially applied for overnight general clerk but was hired for daytime general clerk. Was told once I had received enough training on til I could be moved to overnight, about a month in and still hadn’t received any overnight shifts. Then I was placed in price change, was told if I received enough training I’d get earlier shifts. Not long after that I was shoved into the ecomm department, trained by 3 different people for my first couple of days. 3rd person to train me didn’t even acknowledge me, and was willing to pile her work onto me every shift because the department isn’t properly managed. was told again that once I was trained enough on ecomm I could finally be placed on graveyard shifts, two months later I had to hand in my two weeks because I could no longer take the stress of working at Save On, along with a note from my psychiatrist telling them for the sake of my mental health I needed to be placed on night shifts or scheduled very little for the remainder of my two weeks. Got a call from the store manager that was all too happy to tell me that I won’t be scheduled at all, and I won’t be receiving pay for the rest of my time at Save On Foods.

Productive and value-oriented

I feel valued and happy while working in save on foods. I’m so thankful for the opportunity they give me. All my co-workers are very approachable. When you need help, they are always ready to extend hand for you.

Very flexible with scheduling

Only working 8 hours per week, they give me any day off that I want as long as I give enough notice. They make you a cashier at first before moving you to other departments. Cashiers sometimes feel the need to work quickly, but other departments are very relaxed. Great first job with flexible hours for students.

Pros

10% off groceries, good environment

Best place to work.

Management has been a big asset. They understand the needs of the employees. The fellow employees are very friendly and make one feel welcomed. Best place to work as part time job.

Pros

Free food.

It’s a good place to work, has a lot of turn over though. Will get lots of hours, especially if you say you’re available for 40 hrs. Management listens to your concerns and are willing to help.

Great Workplace!

The workplace was huge and there are so many nice coworkers. The most stressful part working at Save On would be working on cash, very fast paced at the store I work in. Hours are very flexible, can accommodate to your needs, great pay. You can be trained anywhere in the store and the other departments are very relaxed compared to cash. Overall, Save On is a very great place to work at when you have no experience or as a first job :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save On Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement