Save On Foods

Canada224 reviews

Found 224 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,776 reviews
savesaveongroceryfoodunionstoredepartmentwage

Coworkers are ok

Store is very well organized. Someone mangers are good some are bad. The location is very convenient for people who are using public transit. You may get some good team benefits from the company. People can not rely on this job and pay for living in Victoria.

Not the best environment

As every store is different, my experience compared to other employees at different save on foods had been bad. For starters, management did whatever they wanted with your hours while in your probation period. I asked to work part time, 4 shifts a week but they had me and others who got hired around the same time as me working 7+ days in a row. Management would pick & choose who they liked, and made it very clear. Promises weren’t kept and the odds of getting off cash (even if you expressed you didn’t like it) were very slim. Overall just a toxic workplace. I wouldn’t recommend working here.

Pros

Coworkers were nice

Cons

Overworked & stressed

Insights into Save On Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

I Don't Recommend Working Here

Coworkers are very kind and friendly, but managers are extremely rude. They can't even act like they care. They take advantage of you and overwork you, for so little pay. They guilt you when you call in sick, which obviously shows they don't care about the well being of their employees. Management always cuts hours which results in understaffed departments but they still expect you to complete all tasks even if there are not enough people to work properly. Not worth the stress and mistreatment.

Cons

Horrible Managers

They like you at first.

They will train you and befriend you until after your training. The management is very closed off and strict. you have 30 seconds after your breaks to clock out with the 25 code numbers they give you and if u don't you get a strike and its very confusing. Pharmacy is a joke; they don't believe in abortion (the owner) and its very sick with the comments he makes.

Good place to work for student, paid weekly which is bonus

It's a good place for a student to work. Weekly pay, the one I worked at gave snacks in lunch room which is great. If you're going to work for a grocery store, Save On is the way to go.

Friendly Staff and Management

Lots of help from co-workers for new hires. I loved it there. I worked there a short time and had to leave due to a family crisis. I was sad to go. I don't think I've ever said that about any other job :)

Pros

Team oriented - fun people - lots of hours

Cons

Not quite enough to meet the cost of living, but that's a housing issue, not a Save On Foods issue :)

Fun workplace

Nice atmosphere. Very well managed. Not much stress. Salary is good. Lot of fun activities every month. Management is also nice. Supervisors are great

Very positive environment to work!

Save on foods is the best job I have ever had. Everyone is very kind and helpful. Management is also incredible and consistent! I have the opportunity to meet new people every single day and practice my customer service skills. I would say one of the best parts about save on is that the customer is always put first.

Pros

Consistent Breaks, employee discounts, positive environment

Cons

Slow business days

Save on foods

Typical minimum wage job where they don’t pay us enough to deal with all of the terrible customers. Management is okay but it is a min wage job so can’t expect much. Would be nice if they kept up with inflation.

Friendly work environment

Generally a good place to work. Supervisors and other employees are supportive and willing to help when needed, Employee discount program is decent.

Pros

Discount program

Cons

Variable shifts from early morning to late evening.

Terrible experience

I only get a 24 hour notice before shift changes and I have to put in a request 3 weeks before which often gets ignored or denied that it ever existed. Overall very poor place to work and I do not recommend to anyone.

stressful and unappreciated

totally unappreciated and not repected but alot expected of youno communication between deptwhen supervisors were required lots of times none were to respond and there was not the TEAM atmosphere

atmosphere

good place to work part time good salary not good for the future security Management training lack company needs to train employees better. good pay

Very inconsistent

I started and was promised decent hours but later was given inconsistent weekend only hours. There was rarely the option to book days off and basically had to be available 24/7 even though you were only thrown shifts here and there.

Pros

Easy

Cons

Not enough hours

Great coworkers and management but bad pay

Worked there for 4yrs, worked my butt off and jumped straight into full time after high school. But I was only making 20c more than the high school students, and never got asked to move up in the company until I mentioned I was thinking about leaving. I was pulling off supervisor tasks a lot to take the stress off them, but didn’t really get recognized for it. And trained so many people for grocery but never got extra pay. It’s a great high school job for part time. You make a lot of friends and all my managers and supervisors I’ve had were all amazing.

Pros

Great management, free lunch for holidays.

Cons

Long hours, bad pay for long term.

Fair job but it’s stressful

The job is fair. You have assigned work but it can get very stressful. You’re not forced to have all your work done at the end of your shift but it’s expected of you, regardless of how busy it is. Managers dont hide their stress or disappointment

Pros

Free random item (picked by the company) every week

Cons

Exhausting

Decent job to have while in school

Pay and benefits are decent but you can get really burned out from the work. You are very often working understaffed and that takes a larger strain on your mind and body.

Pros

Discount, health benefits after 6 months working at least 24hrs per week, union, $16.20 an hour pay, incremental raises for hours worked, weekly pay

Cons

Long hours on feet, very difficult to get time off or even call in sick

Great first job

The management and company overall was great. Breaks were always given and management was able to work with us schedule-wise. I loved my co-workers as well. It was a great first job for me and for those looking for a long term commitment, the company wants you to grow and move up in the ranks (aka it is a great place to succeed). However, some customers were a nightmare. There were times when I was verbally abused and had to stand there and take it or else I would get in trouble (although these instances were not the fault of the company itself, it is a negative side to the job).

Pros

great management, good company, union

Cons

customers

Friendly Coworkers; Potential for a Long Term Career

Big break room; nice space to decompress in between work. Preferred names are reflected on nametags, however, not implemented into systems or tills, which can be uncomfortable. Great company for anyone looking for a long-term career with health benefits after 6 months of employment.

Pros

one free coffee on shift, positive and friendly coworkers, health benefits

Cons

changing availability is not immediate

Okay

Coworkers were nice but management changed a lot and all over the place. Very intimidating when they hover around you and don’t let you do your job. Store is nice and clean which is a plus, but it was never a permanent job for me

Hard work with little pay and recognition

I think if they gave bonuses for extra work would be nice.Listened to ideas to make the department better. Recognize who's better for position in a department despite sonority.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save On Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement